You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > October 2020 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Sep 13, 2020 05:16AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14868 comments As there was only one nomination this month (with a lot of seconding!) there will be no poll but we'll go straight on to book nominations. I don't think this ever happened before, at least not in my time on YLTO.

The winning theme this month is 'Spooky theme'. This could for example be books with a spooky cover, or books in a genre we associate with being spooky. So get gophering and give us your nomination below.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- In case of series, only the first book in a series is allowed, even if later books could be considered as stand-alone

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close September 12.

Nominations
Bird Box (Kristie - Renee)
The Sun Down Motel (Janice - Casceil)
The Little Stranger (Jayme)
Full Throttle (Katrisa)
The Haunting of Hill House (Ayacchi - Sandra)
The Ghost of Marlow House (Cherie - Christina)
The Broken Girls (Sarah)

message 2: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments If you want a really spooky book, maybe you should try Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt. I read it last year and it still 'haunts' me! Partly because the Dutch version takes place in a village close to Nijmegen, the city where I live. I don't go there often, but every time I do, I expect to see the witch...
The Dutch version is really scary, but I've heard that the English translation is a little bit milder...

This is not a nomination, just a suggestion. :-)
Since I already read it...

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14868 comments You can nominate a book if you already read it Elsbeth, as long as you can lead the discussion. That does require that you remember a fair bit of it, so maybe you have a good memory or otherwise perhaps do a reread.

I don't like scary stories at all, so I'll browse my shelves for something spooky-looking but not actually spooky.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:08AM) (new)

Kristie | 13254 comments I've recently read a couple of creepy books that were really good. (The Whisper Man was excellent if you're looking for recommendations.) I was thinking about nominating one of them because I know they were good, but I've also been wanting to read Bird Box for a long time, so I'll nominate that.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments OHhh I have been wanting to read Bird Box. So I am not nominating the book I had thought about. Instead I am putting my support behind Bird Box

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments We've made YLTO history with this theme nomination. It's surprising that there was only the one suggestion for theme and everyone piled onto the bandwagon.

Elsbeth, I read Hex in 2016 and still get creeped out about it from time to time.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments I have so many that would fit this theme. I'm going to nominate a ghost story, The Sun Down Motel.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13254 comments Janice wrote: "I have so many that would fit this theme. I'm going to nominate a ghost story, The Sun Down Motel."

Funny! That was the second one I was going to recommend. :)

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47994 comments Kristie wrote: "Janice wrote: "I have so many that would fit this theme. I'm going to nominate a ghost story, The Sun Down Motel."

Funny! That was the second one I was going to recommend. :)"

Great minds and all that... I have two of Alex North's books, The Whisper Man & The Shadows, that I debated over.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments LOL oh my that is the book I was going to nominate but decided to put my support behind bird box

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13254 comments We're all on the same page today.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2020 11:10AM) (new)

Kristie | 13254 comments I just went back to look at my reading dates because I read all three of those books recently. I finished The Shadows yesterday, The Whisper Man in July, and The Sun Down Motel in June - all 3 just this summer. They were all good and I think they'd all be great for discussing.

message 13: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9616 comments I really want to read The Whisper Man and The Sun Down Motel.

I highly recommend Bird Box. Hex, I still have flash backs to Hex 😱

message 14: by Jayme (last edited Sep 07, 2020 10:57AM) (new)

Jayme | 2351 comments The Sun Down Motel is good I read it earlier this year.

I would like to nominate The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. I haven't read it, but it has been on my tbr list for a while now - just in time for spooky October.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9300 comments THE LITTLE STRANGER is really good, Jayme.

message 16: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2308 comments I nominate Full Throttle by Joe Hill

message 17: by Ayacchi (new)

Ayacchi | 895 comments I heard some bad review of The Whisper Man and The Shadows, nonetheless, I'll still keep reading it. Gonna prove it myself 💪

I'll nominate The Haunting of Hill House

message 19: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments I will second The Sun Down Motel.

message 20: by Cherie (last edited Sep 08, 2020 03:25PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19794 comments I would like to nominate The Ghost of Marlow House by Bobbi Holmes.

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2351 comments Ayacchi wrote: "I heard some bad review of The Whisper Man and The Shadows, nonetheless, I'll still keep reading it. Gonna prove it myself 💪

I'll nominate The Haunting of Hill House"

Love Shirley Jackson. and this book is very good.

message 22: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2351 comments Peggy, I'm going to take back my nomination of The Little Stranger I didn't realize that it was 512 pages long - unless length isn't an issue?

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14868 comments It used to be one of the criteria Jayme, but it's not anymore. So you can still nominate it :)

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Sep 08, 2020 05:18AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14868 comments Cherie wrote: "How about The Ghost of Marlow House by Bobbi Holmes."

Are you nominating this Cherie, or is it just a suggestion? I'm not entirely sure :)

message 25: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2351 comments Peggy wrote: "It used to be one of the criteria Jayme, but it's not anymore. So you can still nominate it :)"

Ok, I'll keep it nominated :)

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13254 comments We have some great nominations this month. :) At least in my opinion. lol I like this type of read.

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19794 comments Peggy wrote: "Cherie wrote: "How about The Ghost of Marlow House by Bobbi Holmes."

Are you nominating this Cherie, or is it just a suggestion? I'm not entirely sure :)"

Sorry, Peggy, I updated my original message to say "I would like to nominate"...

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Ahhh. I don't know what to nominate. I don't own any of the books which have already been nominated. I'm struggling to decide between The Institute, The Broken Girls and The Ruin. The Institute is quite long and I'm already struggling with a long book. Hmm, decisions decisions. I think I'll go with The Broken Girls.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13254 comments I loved The Broken Girls, Sarah. :) I also loved The Institute and The Ruin is on my TBR. lol

message 30: by Christina (new)

Christina (christir1159) | 1259 comments If it isn't to late I would like to second The Ghost of Marlow House

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.