What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book about a world where you have to buy words to talk

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay | 1 comments Title almost says it all that I remember. I know somewhere in the story there's a tyrannical leader since having more words = being rich. I remember vaguely about hearing it near 2010-2012. Probably for young adults.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert (ricroscupshigh) | 284 comments I don't know about a tyrannical leader, but The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster features a market where one can buy words.

"For Milo, everything’s a bore. When a tollbooth mysteriously appears in his room, he drives through only because he’s got nothing better to do. But on the other side, things seem different. Milo visits the Island of Conclusions (you get there by jumping), learns about time from a ticking watchdog named Tock, and even embarks on a quest to rescue Rhyme and Reason! Somewhere along the way, Milo realizes something astonishing. Life is far from dull. In fact, it’s exciting beyond his wildest dreams. . . ."

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments the one i'm thinking of its that old - but there is a YA dystopia that came out in the last couple of years with this theme - let me find the name

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33341 comments Mod
Jay, what's the genre (which we need to add to the topic header/title) - e.g., YA [teen] or adult, dystopia, fantasy?