What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1)
This topic is about Of Poseidon
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Mermaid YA book, 2000s or 2010s release, big name publisher, best friend drowns. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments This is annoying me immensely. I can remember a scene from a mermaid YA book, at least I think it was YA, that came out sometime after 2005 and before 2015 and was a big name publisher release.

The only thing I remember is the MC is white and her best friend is the token black girl, you know the one you get in all 90s and early 00s films who is the white girl's best friend, and is the only person of colour in the entire film/book and is there to be sassy and bitchy.

The description of the best friend was like "Black as ebony, with hot pink fake nails, a weave, and a big booty only found on black girls. Sassy and kind of trashy but my best friend" and she spoke like "You done gone hurt me friend", very slangy. I only remember that because one of my best friends was reading it with me and looked herself up and down when we read it and went "Is that what white people think black women look and sound like? Bitch did I not go to Oxford and get a First Class Degree?"

At the time we found it incredibly funny for how bad it was.

I asked her if she remembered the book and she did but not the title.

She remembered they were surfing or water skiing, the best friend was very concerned about falling in the water because she might get her weave wet or break a nail. A wave came in and the best friend was drowning and screaming "Save my weave! Save my weave!" Or something ridiculous like that rather than screaming for help. I think she also may have gotten bit/eaten by a shark.

Now I know weaves are expensive, I had one put in for a film role and was told not to get it wet, show caps are amazing things. However I am pretty sure any woman wearing a weave who is drowning would be more focused on being saved from death than an $800-$2000 hair piece. I may be wrong, there is probably someone with a weave who died trying to save it rather than their own life, there was a woman in my town who died because she wouldn't leave her Jimmy Choos behind in a fire, she literally ran back into a burning building to try and save them over her children having a mother, but it seemed so stupid in this book.

We think it was YA but could have been New Adult.

The MC could talk to fish I think and found out when the shark ate her friend. I also think she ended up being a mermaid and getting it on with a merman.

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2222 comments From the reviews, I think this might be Of Poseidon.

message 3: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments That is the right book! Thanks so much =)

It has its moments of being okay but the death scene of the best friend was just really dumb.

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2222 comments Blue wrote: "That is the right book! Thanks so much =)

It has its moments of being okay but the death scene of the best friend was just really dumb."

Glad to help!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Of Poseidon (other topics)