Play Book Tag discussion

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (The Carls, #1)
This topic is about An Absolutely Remarkable Thing
September 2020: Other Books > An Absolutely Remarkable Thing - Hank Green (3 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1359 comments An Absolutely Remarkable Thing - Hank Green

3 1/2 stars

When April May notices a large metallic statue that looks like a cross between a transformer and a samurai on her way home from work, she thinks its just another art installation in NYC. But after she and her friend make a viral video about the statue (which she calls Carl) they find out that there are identical Carls in 68 other cities throughout the world. Soon, it is evident that the Carls are made up of materials that are impossible to exist according physics. Now April finds herself the first person to interact with what may be alien materials and she decides to document the Carls on her new YouTube channel. Soon she is one of the most popular social media influencers in the world. But what are the real intentions of the Carls and what do they mean for the future of our world.

This was an original story with a distinct style. I started out really liking the first person memoir style, but it did start to get tedious after awhile. I wanted more information on the Carls and the puzzles that they created, but I got a lot more of April's musings about her fame and angst about her love life. I liked most of the supporting characters, but April was a bit annoying. Overall, it kept my attention and I will definitely look out for the second book in the series. Since it appears that it will be from the point of view of some of the other characters, I may like it even better than this one.

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Cora wrote: "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing - Hank Green

3 1/2 stars

When April May notices a large metallic statue that looks like a cross between a transformer and a samurai..."

Cora wrote: "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing - Hank Green

3 1/2 stars

When April May notices a large metallic statue that looks like a cross between a transformer and a samurai..."

Very nice review.