Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > IT or The Stand

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt | 87 comments My original was to get The Stand right after I read Nos4a2, but now I’m hearing such great things about IT.... which one should I get first? (I’ll get to them both eventually)

message 2: by Tully (new)

Tully Vincent (tully_vincent) | 4 comments The Stand is my favorite SK book!

message 3: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Burch | 50 comments I personally love them both and I think this depends on your taste. The stand is such an epic story and very relevant today. I found it made the experience a bit more scary as I read it in lockdown. However, IT has always been my favourite. It is a bit more of a crazy horror and maybe a bit fantastical. But I believe it is more of a scary story. I have re read it many times since I was a teenager. I really like when King uses children as his main protagonists and I find them much more relatable. It is a hard decision but I would say it depends on whether you first feel like reading something a bit crazy and scary or more of an epic horror. Either way read them both, they are both excellent.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2064 comments I love both but if I had to choose, The Stand.

message 5: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela (lavender_pearl) | 3 comments the stand is just slightly better

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Freitag (truirishredhead) | 12 comments Both are my favorite King books but I adore IT. I loved every King book I read but when IT came out - I was IN LOVE. I’m still in love with that book. And I’ve got Pennywise all over my home

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael T Roch | 355 comments I'd go with IT. IT kind of introduces us to one of King's towns and you'll find Easter eggs in later books.

If you choose The Stand, then you need to decide which one, the abridged 1978 version or the expanded 1990 version. I'd say the 1990 one, but others have preferred the earlier one. I think there's a little twist at the end of the '90 version.

message 8: by Nick (last edited Oct 21, 2020 10:41AM) (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3946 comments IT is a classic horror story, but THE STAND it the more important book with lots of amazing characters and scenes, and in the end the picture of worlds you'll never get over.

message 9: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen | 244 comments The Stand without a doubt.

message 10: by Hans (new)

Hans | 42 comments Both! Ok, that probably didn't help. Both books are of course massive, so you might be with them for a while. I would probably choose to read The Stand first. In fact, that's exactly what I did. But just so there isn't any confusion. Read IT right after :)