Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > Pick Me A Winner: October 2020

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7281 comments Duration: October 1- 31

Partners will be picked on the same day!

Guidelines for this challenge:
* Create a "shelf" for your partner to choose from before the challenge begins
* You choose 3 books from your partners shelf for your partner to read
* Your partner picks three from your shelf for you to read
*After you read your book come back and post to let your partner know when you are done and what you thought of the book (no pressure, it can be just one sentence)

**** The challenge is to read one book from your shelf that your partner chose. You do not have to read all three! (It's just to give a choice) ****

Please sign up below and post a link to your shelf for your partner to choose from!

message 2: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Sep 30, 2020 05:26PM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7281 comments Participants:

CC
Sophie
Cynthia
Sarah
Carrie
Michelle
Jessica
☆☆Hannah☆☆

message 3: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Sep 30, 2020 05:31PM) (new)

message 4: by CC (new)

message 11: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7281 comments Partners have been picked! See post #3.

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6107 comments My partner is Jessica and for her I pick:

1. Slay by Brittney Morris ... because I've heard it's similar to When Dimple Met Rishi and I saw that you rated that one 4 stars. Hopefully you might like Slay too if you choose to read it! :)

2. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera ... because it has been on your list the longest.

3. Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1) by Maureen Johnson ... because I think it would be a great October read and I loved it. I'm currently reading the second book and highly recommend the series.

Hope one is a winner!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1677 comments My Partner is Sophie: Here are my picks for you:

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig - This is the most recently released book on your list

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - The oldest book on the list

Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2) by Rachel Caine - One in between and something that I have read and given 4 stars to.

Hope one of thoise is a winner!

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments Sarah,

Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2) by Tomi Adeyemi because it's the only one on your list I've read

In Evil Hour by Gabriel García Márquez because I think this author is fantastic

The Killing Moon (Dreamblood, #1) by N.K. Jemisin because I've heard nothing but good things about this

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 224 comments Thanks Carrie!

For you I am choosing:

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones and The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry because they are quick, engaging reads that have been on your list for a while.

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor because it continues a great series.

Hope you get a winner!

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments Sarah wrote: "Thanks Carrie!

For you I am choosing:

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones and The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry because they are quick, engaging reads that have been on your list for a while.

[bookco..."

Thank you, I just checked out [book:Howl's Moving Castle|6294] from the library to start. I hope to get all read this month if I can.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jvblazejak) | 557 comments I'm really excited about my picks Cynthia! Thanks. I'm going to order from the library and decide from there.

It was really hard, but for you I picked:

The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts, #1) by M.R. Carey because the cover stood out,
The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson because I read the series recently and liked it, and
I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1) by Barry Lyga because it is on my to-read list as well.

Hope there's a winner!

message 18: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7281 comments My partner is CC and I pick:

1.) Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld because you've had it on your shelf the longest.

2.) The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer because I liked this book and hopefully you will too.

3.) The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins because it was a really popular at one time.

message 19: by CC (new)

CC Sanders (ccsreadingjourney) | 45 comments My partner is Hannah. This was jard to pick because I know nothing about most of the books on your shelf. So I picked for reasons witout knowing the books:

1. The Legasea (Siren Song Trilogy #1) by S.K. Munt - because it has the highest rating
2. Sleepless by Cyn Balog - because it is on your shelf the longest
3. Intuition (The Premonition, #2) by Amy A. Bartol - because the most people have read and rated it

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1677 comments I haven't received any picks yet. Would someone pick for me please and thank you.

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6107 comments Michelle wrote: "I haven't received any picks yet. Would someone pick for me please and thank you."

Sorry to hear that. I'm happy to pick some for you :)

1. They Came With The Snow (They Came with the Snow, Book #1) by Christopher Coleman ... because it's one of the shortest on your list and I think the horror genre is the perfect way to kick off October.

2. MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1) by Debra Driza ... because I know a lot of people who liked it.

3. Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead ... because you rated the other books in the series really high, it continues a series, and I'm currently reading it myself :)

Hope one's a winner!

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1677 comments Cynthia wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I haven't received any picks yet. Would someone pick for me please and thank you."

Sorry to hear that. I'm happy to pick some for you :)

1. [bookcover:They Came With The Snow|34..."

Thank you!

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1677 comments Completion Post - Book 1

They Came With The Snow (They Came with the Snow, Book #1) by Christopher Coleman

Book - They Came With The Snow
Author - Christopher Coleman
Date - 10/9/20
Rating 1 Star

Review - This was really bad. The writing was bad, character development was bad, the story line was bad. It was just horrendous all the way around.The MC was seriously unlikable and not even in a good way, I will not be continuing on with the series. I will give the author another chance with a different book that I have of his.

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6107 comments I'm so close to finishing this month's pick <3 I hope I get it done soon so I can give an update :)

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6107 comments Michelle wrote: "Completion Post - Book 1

They Came With The Snow (They Came with the Snow, Book #1) by Christopher Coleman

Date - 10/9/20
Rating 1 Star

Re..."

Sorry it sucked xD but at least it was a short read.

message 26: by CC (new)

CC Sanders (ccsreadingjourney) | 45 comments Completion Post

Book - Uglies
Author - Scott Westerfield
Date - 10/31/20
Rating 4 Star

I really enjoyed it, even though I did not find the main character likeable. I did enjoy the social commentary a lot and this just hit me in the "i need some YA dystopia" mood so potentially my craving this type of book earned it an extra star. Stars in the end are very subjective and dependend on mood ...

Thank you for picking this for me. I wanted to get to this one in so long and am grateful to finally have picked it up.

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6107 comments I finished I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1) by Barry Lyga on 10/31 and rated it 4 stars. I have had this book picked for me a couple times in the past and I'm so glad I finally got around to it. It was a super unique book for me and I loved it. My full review can be read here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

This book actually ended up being my 100th book of 2020 and I finished my reading goal for the year :)

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1677 comments Cynthia wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Completion Post - Book 1

Date - 10/9/20
..."

And it's off my list!