Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader for LGBTQ Fiction

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devin (new)

Devin Greenlee | 17 comments Hi everyone!

I'm wrapping up a few of my beta reading projects, and now that I've sent off my WIP for some beta reading of its own, I'd like to reach out and offer my help. I have a BA in English Lit and have been teaching for about 12 years, so I'm happy to use that to help however I can.

Right now I'm really into reading some things that are similar to what I've been writing. I'm looking for Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Romance with LGBTQ storylines, but I'm willing to branch out into other genres. I want to stick to M/M pairings since that's what I can give the best insight to.

I'm newer with larger projects, but still thorough. I'll be on the lookout for characters, plot, and style. I'm happy to work out grammatical errors where I can. I'm kind, but I'm certainly honest and constructive. I'd like to try and stay under the 120k mark, with one or two projects at a time.

Message me here if you're interested!

message 2: by Aeron (new)

Aeron Dusk | 1 comments Hello Devin,

I'm currently working with 5 beta readers, but the more the merrier. I have a completed paranormal romance with an m/m pairing. If you are interested, this is a link to the blurb and first chapter on another forum post. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If this sounds interesting to you, or if you need another chapter or two to see if the story is right for you, I can provide it. Pointing out grammar or typos is fine, but I am going to be copy-editing this story before submission. So I'm not so much worried about that as I am about character voice, pacing, or any confusion brought about by questionable simile or metaphor choices that might throw the reader off.

I'm keeping this in beta mode until mid-November about a two month turn-around time is what I'm asking.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Samuel | 3 comments Hi Devin,

I am looking for a beta reader for a GLBTQ YA story. I have made a request of another reader, but have not heard back, she may not be interested in GLBTQ related stories. I managed business writers for years, but now that I have retired, I am trying to make the transition to fiction writing (for fun) which is very different.

My, Remember Me, story is 49,000 words and it covers things such as growing up in very difficult circumstances, GLBTQ issues, various types of loss, bullying and being honest with your partner (both of those are not related to GLBTQ), deep love, and settings you probably have not been in before, among other things.

Of course, any comment you have is most welcome to make the story stronger. I am particularly interested in- having a good story arch & flow, solid character development, readability & keeping your interest, being realistic, and a story that could appeal to a wide audience. While I’d never turn down an editing comment, I think taking care of the aforementioned things should be resolved first before proofreading and editing is done.

I envision this to be part of a trilogy called, Unhinged Lives. The second of the stories, Taken, is mostly drafted, the third, Point Blank, is still in conceptual development. The trilogy will have some overlapping elements among all the stories and characters, but each story will be stand-alone and from a different person’s viewpoint.

Michael