American Westerns discussion

The Western In the Library of America

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by robin (new)

robin friedman | 5 comments The Library of America has just published "The Western: Four Classic Novels of the 1940s and 1950s. The book includes "The Ox-Bow Incident" "Shane",
"The Searchers" and "Warlock" together with an introduction by Ron Hansen. I have reviewed the book here on Goodreads. It might be interesting for those on this thread to read or comment on this LOA volume. It is good that the Western novel is getting serious attention at last. The LOA also has published a volume of four Elmore Leonard Westerns.

message 2: by Frank (new)

Frank Kelso (frank_kelso) | 41 comments robin, thanks for the post. Elmore Leonard is best best known for his contemporary stories like the movie "Get Shorty," or the TV show "Justified"(where he had co-producer credits.) I thought "Hombre" with Paul Newman was great, and loved Richard Boone as first-rate "bad guy."
Leonard is long over due praise for his westerns. I met him at the Western Writers of America Conf years ago, where he was recognized for his work.

message 3: by robin (new)

robin friedman | 5 comments I like Leonard's westerns as well as the crime fiction he wrote later in his career. What do you think of the four novels included in the LOA compilation of westerns?

message 4: by L. J. (new)

L. J. Martin (ljmartin) | 15 comments Leonard was a master of dialogue. He gave me a wonderful cover quote on my CRIMSON HIT, "...knows crime and how to write about it. I promise you won't put this one down." Coveted, believe me. L. J. Martin

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 130 comments I've read a few Elmore Leonard books and loved Justified on tv. He's definitely one of my favorite authors.