SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases discussion

Mexican Gothic
This topic is about Mexican Gothic
MexGoth > September 2020 -- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Spoilers Allowed)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Oleksandr Zholud | 1492 comments Mod
This is a thread to discuss the novel

So, according to reviews, me, Kate and Silvana finished the book. I'm more in line with Kate's assessment, but I guess this is just because I ain't a fan of Gothic horror. I expected more fantasy and more local folk lore, like in her Gods of Jade and Shadow. This one seemed quite generic.

Kateblue | 641 comments Mod
Sorry, life got away from me. Yes, I did finish it, and I have already forgotten much of it (not really, it was ok, and the mushrooms were a nice touch. But I figured it out RIGHT AWAY and then was just waiting to see what stupid thing she would or wouldn't do next.

Life is paramount, so don't feel sorry. I agree on mushrooms, but even with them there was a possibility of a twist, like alien sentient mushroom in the basement, or the opposite - mushroom dumping some negative psychic effect

message 5: by Leticia (last edited Nov 11, 2020 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leticia (leticiatoraci) I'm a bit late but I really liked this book. Great writing and a very original and surprising/suspenseful story! The twist with the mushrooms/a human using nature the wrong way was great. Gothic is one of the 'genres' I like and this was really well paced, not too slow paced as some Gothic novels are.

Leticia wrote: "I'm a bit late but I really liked this book. "

I am glad to hear that. It hasn't worked for me, but I don't like Gothic novels in general

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Leticia wrote: "I'm a bit late but I really liked this book. Great writing and a very original and surprising/suspenseful story! The twist with the mushrooms/a human using nature the wrong way was great. Gothic is..."

I am so glad someone liked this. I consider it one of the top 3 books I read this year.