Play Book Tag discussion

The Light Between Oceans
This topic is about The Light Between Oceans
September 2020: Psychological > The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diana H. | 335 comments This book has just broken my heart.

The parents-children relationship is a very intimate thing, to understand it completely one has to become a parent. This story is tragic for both described families. It’s hard to explain everything without spoilers, but it happened that a little girl was raised not by her mother but by other people.

Being a mother myself, I understand the feelings of both Sherbournes and Hannah. Each one of them lost their child. And I agree with Lucy’s words that a mother is ready to do anything for her child.

The author shows us different psychological aspects of characters’ lives: Isabel’s grief for her lost children, Tom’s guilty conscience, Hannah’s suffering when she saw her daughter’s hostility… Everything is described very realistically, and I was sorry practically for every character of the novel.

The name of the novel is interesting because of its symbolism. The first light between the oceans we get to know is the lighthouse that helps ships to avoid dangers. But later there appears the second light - little Lucy. Don’t children lighten our lives?

I liked this novel very much because it touched my heart.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5563 comments Nicely put. I love your take on the title. This is a beautiful book, and it really touched my heart too. I resisted reading it for years because I knew a lot about the story and I didn't think I would like the book. I was so wrong. Even knowing all the spoilers, I enjoyed it tremendously. The psychological aspects of the story make it perfect for book club discussions. (If it wasn't for a book club I might never have read it.)

Diana H. | 335 comments NancyJ wrote: "Nicely put. I love your take on the title. This is a beautiful book, and it really touched my heart too. I resisted reading it for years because I knew a lot about the story and I didn't think I wo..."

Thank you, Nancy! I heard a lot of spoilers too, but I am very happy that I've read this story by myself.