What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Survival Adventure fiction. Male scientist alone (shipwrecked?) on deserted island. He's extremely handy, extracts minerals & elements from caves, builds weapons & filtration system. Read in 2005.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ikonija (last edited Sep 06, 2020 05:51PM) (new)

Ikonija Bogojevic | 4 comments I read this fiction back in 2005 and I believe it was written by American author. It must have been translated to my native language, Serbian.
The book is about 1 man that ended up on a deserted island. He was the only human on the island. He must have been a chemical scientist and an amazing handy man, as the book clearly describes how he was extracting minerals and other elements from caves. He created a house, tools, guns with ammunition and filtration system. I do not believe he had anything with him brought from civilization. Anyone came across the book like this?

message 2: by Brad (new)

Brad Eichstadt | 97 comments @Ikonija. Just to confirm. Are you saying you read the book back in 2005? Or that you believe the book was written back in 2005. If you actually read the book back in 2005 do you have a sense of when the book might have been written? For example did it seem like a modern book or possibly older. A clue to that might be how the man ended up on the island. Was it a plane crash, boat, a balloon?

Too, was the man totally alone, or were there others? The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne was a an early example of a scientist/handyman who landed by balloon on a deserted island and manged to create guns, nitroglycerin and many more things from what was on the island. But, in his case he was not alone so I don't think that would be the book you were talking about.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32356 comments Mod
Ikonija, what's the genre (which we need to add to the topic header/title) - e.g., adult science fiction, survival adventure, thriller?

message 4: by Ikonija (new)

Ikonija Bogojevic | 4 comments Kris wrote: "Ikonija, what's the genre (which we need to add to the topic header/title) - e.g., adult science fiction, survival adventure, thriller?"

I added the genre to the best of my ability :) Thanks

message 5: by Ikonija (last edited Sep 06, 2020 05:58PM) (new)

Ikonija Bogojevic | 4 comments Brad wrote: "@Ikonija. Just to confirm. Are you saying you read the book back in 2005? Or that you believe the book was written back in 2005. If you actually read the book back in 2005 do you have a sense of wh..."
I edited the body and title. I actually read it around 2005 and yes, the man was a full grown male and he was all alone on the island. I believe he was on some vessel and the storm took him to this deserted island. There was no mention about his academic skills, but the level of details of his metallurgy was absolutely amazing!
It is not The Mysterious Island, but thank you for trying to help. I really appreciate it.
Ikonija

message 6: by Kris (new)

I added a few details to the topic header/title, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers. Feel free to edit it.

message 7: by Ikonija (last edited Sep 08, 2020 10:22PM) (new)

Ikonija Bogojevic | 4 comments Great. Thank you so much Kris for helping.

message 8: by Kris (new)

You're welcome.