You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Feather Thief
This topic is about The Feather Thief
Buddy Reads > The Feather Thief - Sept 20

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments Join us for a Sept 20 start (or whenever you can join in) of The Feather Thief

Twisted Trivia Task Card 8 Ent Nay: feather on cover/in title

Buddy Readers: Katrisa, Anne...

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments I'll join in on this one :)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments I hope you all enjoy the book. It really is an amazing story. I will follow your spoilers and may comment, if you don’t mind. I read it last year for another challenge.

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments It’s the 20th. I’ve downloaded the audiobook to begin listening. Looking forawRd to the discussion :)

Katrisa | 2401 comments I just started! My first thought is how on earth did he carry all those birds they listed?!

Katrisa | 2401 comments I just finished Ch 3. I am finding this book fascinating! I am not using spoiler tags for this post because I don't think the nature of the first part of this book really requires them as it is mostly just background knowledge about man's relationship to birds/feathers.

I love non-fiction. It's so crazy how everyone knows Darwin, but I never heard of Wallace before. It is interesting that birds of paradise cannot live in cages. It's nuts how many feathers fashion needed! We don't really think of the hidden cost of our fads and fashions.

Katrisa | 2401 comments I had no idea that the Audubon Society began with women wanting to end the use of feathers for fashion! How cool!
I am totally going to look up some of those classic fly ties. I am going to make my husband listen to this when I'm done. He used to tie flies when he was younger and still has a lot of the materials for doing it. I think he would enjoy this book.

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments I've listened to the first couple of chapters now. Wow! I keep thinking this topic should be boring, but the way the author has written this I'm totally absorbed! It jumps right in...the theft recounting BAM!... how the story inspiration came during the fly fishing outing BAM! .... the historical info on Wallace and his collecting BAM!

I cannot wait to keep listening! I wish i had more time for books right now, I have too much going on!

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments Katrisa wrote: "I just started! My first thought is how on earth did he carry all those birds they listed?!"

(view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments You both are having the same reactions to this book as I did when I read it. I love it!

Katrisa | 2401 comments I'm in Ch 19 - I feel like I do need spoiler tags at this point :)

(view spoiler)

Katrisa | 2401 comments On a side note - I LOVED the descriptions of the feather smugglers from back in the day! Like how they had to check the thickness of their necks because skinny guys were padding themselves with contraband feathers lol!

Katrisa | 2401 comments Ok spoilers to the end of the book. (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments I join this evening. Looking forward to it!

Katrisa | 2401 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I join this evening. Looking forward to it!"

Yay!

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments I've started, but I'm somewhere in the prologue still. (I fell asleep, not because of the book ;) )

Katrisa | 2401 comments The prologue just drops you right in doesn't it?!

message 18: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Sep 27, 2020 12:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments Waw, I'm at chapter 5 and this is just so interesting! I mean, why would someone smuggle feathers and how big was that suitcase!

(view spoiler)

It's a non - fiction book, but it doesn't read like that at all. It's not dry material. There's a non - fiction book written in the same style: The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World Also really interesting!

message 19: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Sep 27, 2020 12:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments Addition to chapter 5:
(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments Chapter 9:
(view spoiler)

During the reading I've googled all the name of the birds, most of the persons and even the websites. Did you know that (view spoiler) I've read it in some article from National Geographic.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "It's a non - fiction book, but it doesn't read..."

I agree with the Dinosaur book, Saar. I read it too. Very well done and not dry.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Chapter 9: During the reading I've googled all the name of the birds, most of the persons and even the websites. Did you know that [spoilers removed] I've read it in some articl..."

I think I spent more time googling things and looking at photographs than I did reading the book. That is what I love about having my iPod handy while I read.

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments Cherie wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "It's a non - fiction book, but it doesn't read..."

I agree with the Dinosaur book, Saar. I read it too. Very well done and not dry."

Indeed, I've read a couple of chapters, but will start over again, because I had other reads. But if NF is written that way, it makes it less dry material.

message 24: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Sep 28, 2020 03:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saar The Book owl | 1777 comments Cherie wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "Chapter 9: During the reading I've googled all the name of the birds, most of the persons and even the websites. Did you know that [spoilers removed] I've read it in some ..."

Well, I had the early weekend shift at work and it was very quiet, so I had time to look this up and keep on reading. But if you Google the one thing, than you find something other about the story and before you know it, time's past.