Anarchist & Radical Book Club discussion

Foundations > Anarchism 101

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by tout (last edited Jan 14, 2021 01:55PM) (new)

tout | 99 comments Mod
Classics

-Anarchism by Daniel Guerin
-No Gods No Masters: An Anthology of Anarchism by Daniel Guerin
-The Conquest of Bread by Pyotr Kropotkin
-Anarchism and Other Essays by Emma Goldman
-Anarchy by Errico Malatesta
-On Anarchism by Noam Chomsky
-What is Anarchism by Alexander Berkman
-God and the State by Mikhail Bakunin
-Anarchy, Geography, Modernity: Selected Writings of Elisée Reclus by Elisée Reclus
-Anarchy Will Be!: Selected Writings Of Luigi Galleani by Luigi Galleani
-Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice by Rudolf Rocker

message 2: by tout (new)

tout | 99 comments Mod
I realize that some of these are a bit generic. It's been awhile since I read any of the more introductory texts re anarchism. I know this also leans a bit on a certain kind of anarchism, so if people have suggestions good general introductions without leaning too far into a more specific tendency that would be great.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan W. | 14 comments In honor of the recently deceased, I suggest that this is very useful, widely influential, and lays the foundation for the monumental "Debt".
David Graeber, "Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragmen...
widely available as a PDF online
He reveals that 'anarchist societies' have existed for millenia; in fact he argues it is a natural mode of human organization.

message 4: by tout (new)

tout | 99 comments Mod
Alan wrote: "In honor of the recently deceased, I suggest that this is very useful, widely influential, and lays the foundation for the monumental "Debt".
David Graeber, "Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology"..."

Sure. I can add that to the Contemporary section. Creating a section on anarchist and anti-authoritarian anthropology would also be great. There's a lot of great work in that vein.

message 5: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 20 comments Good list, tout, although it’s noticeably lacking contemporary Anarchists, and two of the contemporary ones are websites. Not a fault of yours though, although there may be more hard to find unknown ones who wrote a book, but couldn’t get it distributed. Remember, in the 1800’s, Anarchists had more ability to get books and more important, pamphlets, published and distributed, and there wasn’t what you’d call an “overload” of books/data on politics. I also think the term Anarchist has been bastardized, and people use it to describe themselves because they’re ___________(insert literally anything) and think it sounds cool to be an Anarchist.

message 6: by tout (new)

tout | 99 comments Mod
Bruce wrote: "Good list, tout, although it’s noticeably lacking contemporary Anarchists, and two of the contemporary ones are websites. Not a fault of yours though, although there may be more hard to find unknow..."

Agreed. Perhaps it would make more sense to create two separate topics of lists, one for classics and then one for contemporary authors and texts. I think the issue for me is that contemporary stuff is also good hasn't been introductory.

The word anarchist has become mostly an empty signifier. I'm fine with it being radically open, but because of this, when talking to people who aren't already on the team mostly the negative or problematic aspects of that floating and multiplicitous definition come through.