Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM 2 - October 2020 - Somewhere I'll Find You

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3885 comments Mod
Discussion thread for the Second BOTM of October 2020. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions.)

Happy Reading

Somewhere I'll Find You (Capital Theatre, #1) by Lisa Kleypas
Somewhere I'll Find You by Lisa Kleypas

The toast of the town...

All London is at Julia Wentworth's feet—and anything she desires is hers for the asking. But the glamorous leading lady guards a shocking secret: a mystery husband whom she does not know, dares not mention ... and cannot love.

For years Damon Savage has been searching for the stranger his parents wed him to without his consent, hoping to legally free himself from matrimony's invisible chains. And he is astonished to discover his "bride" is none other than the exquisite lady he'd hoped to make his mistress! But though his wife by law, Julia will never truly be Damon's—until he conquers her fears, his formidable rivals ... and her proud, passionate, and independent heart.

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments I guess I'll join this read in October because I've got a paperback copy of the book that I picked up a while ago at a thrift shop. But I'm a little apprehensive. Much as I love Lisa Kleypas' later books, I've read two or three of her earlier ones and I'm not really a fan of those. Also, there are quite a few negative reviews of this one, some labelling it *dull*. Oh dear. Welp, I guess I'll find out for myself in October.

message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I feel like I am going to get into this story and realize I have read it before. Maybe not, though.

message 4: by Patti (new)

Patti | 57 comments Jan wrote: "I guess I'll join this read in October because I've got a paperback copy of the book that I picked up a while ago at a thrift shop. But I'm a little apprehensive. Much as I love Lisa Kleypas' later..."

I’m going to echo your sentiments exactly. I’ve read a few of LK’s earlier stuff and been unimpressed (downright horrified at one book), so we’ll see how this one goes.

Beau - The Tailored Version 😄 Brummel (mgleena) | 331 comments I've read a few LK books and I like her wallflower series. especially.. the Devil in Winter. Im curious to see ow I like this one. I liked the synopsis.

message 6: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments I enjoyed her Bow Street Runners series, but those are the oldest I've read by LK. This seems to be a love it or hate it book. I saw a lot of one star and five star ratings.

message 7: by Patti (new)

Patti | 57 comments Oh yes, I just want to clarify that I love Lisa Kleypas now. I've read all of her Wallflower, Ravenel and Hathaway series, which is why I was so taken aback by not liking some of her early stuff. :)

Beau - The Tailored Version 😄 Brummel (mgleena) | 331 comments but that's a common trend with most of these writers. Where there are some we absolutely love, there are just so many we hate...maybe a bad writing day:)

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy  Malory  (vivienne90) | 72 comments I am joining in this one!I am really sceptical regarding all these bad reviews and rating BUT since it is Lisa Kleypas who wrote it I am gonna take my chances :)

message 10: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments I just picked up my copy today, so I'll be ready to start on the first.

message 11: by Topastro (new)

Topastro | 47 comments I Just used my audible credit for this so I hope it was not wasted. I'm not the biggest fan of her early writing but maybe this will surprise me.

message 12: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 653 comments I have had this book for a while, just not got round to reading it. So I will be joining in this read.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments I started this one this morning. I've read the prologue and Chapter 1. I quite like the setup. Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

The theatre setting is intriguing. I've read a couple of HRs about actresses before, but it looks like this one is going to show a bit more about life in the theatre than some other books have.

Although I haven't really enjoyed the other early Kleypas books I've read, so far this one seems decent. I'm intrigued by the character of Logan Scott - I'm assuming he's not the hero - perhaps he has his own book? (I haven't read any of the Capital Theatre books before).

I'm happy to see where this one goes. Anyone else starting this one yet?

message 14: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments I decided to start with BOTM 1 - How To Wed An Earl first, but I definitely plan to read this right after.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments I seem to be reading this one my own so far, as everyone seems to have started with the other BOTM. LOL. Oh well, I'm liking it and want to keep reading. I'm through Chapter 4 now.

I like Julia/Jessica and Damon. I'm not totally convinced with the trope/basic plot concept though.
Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

In spite of that, I am enjoying the read - the lovely writing, the sweet development of the romance between Damon and Julia.

Chapter 4 more spoilers (view spoiler)

message 16: by Cath (new)

Cath | 277 comments Jan, I have the same thoughts about the circumstances around the marriage and Damon's, Julia's and the families' reactions. I'm very skeptical.

(view spoiler)

I'm enjoying the side characters: Logan Scott, Mrs. Florence and the deliciously awful Pauline Lady Ashton.

Re: Logan in Ch 2 & 3(view spoiler)

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments I'm about half way through the book now. I'm part way through Chapter 7. I think the chapters in this book are quite long. Still liking but not loving the book.

Interesting thoughts in your first spoiler, Cath. I agree and it is kinda holding me back from really loving the book, even though I like the romance between the leads.

Chapter 6 spoiler (view spoiler)

Chapter 7 spoiler (view spoiler)

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments Cath wrote: "I'm enjoying the side characters: Logan Scott, Mrs. Florence and the deliciously awful Pauline Lady Ashton."

Me too. You love to hate Lady Ashton.

message 19: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 653 comments I have started to read this book today. started off okay, but at the moment I am only on page 34 . I normally like Lisa Kleypas.

message 20: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 653 comments I have quite enjoyed this story. But do agree with both Jan and Cath reviews of the story. Pauline was a schemer grrrr. Logan a workaholic.

message 21: by Jan (last edited Oct 08, 2020 07:44PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments I've nearly finished Chapter 8 now. About 70% through. I'm still liking but not loving it. I'm quite intrigued by the character of Logan Scott. He's almost more interesting than Savage himself.
Chapter 8 spoiler (view spoiler)

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments Finished Chapter 8 now and I've just popped in to say (view spoiler)

message 23: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Jan wrote: "I've nearly finished Chapter 8 now. About 70% through. I'm still liking but not loving it. I'm quite intrigued by the character of Logan Scott. He's almost more interesting than Savage himself.
Ch..."

They must be long chapters! I keep debating if I want to use an audible credit on this.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments Yes they are very long chapters.

Frankly I'd think hard, Joanna. For me it doesn't have the same class and quality of Kleypas' later works. I'm about 3/4 through and thinking 3 stars, maybe? I doubt I'll read any others in the series.

Still, I haven't finished yet, so maybe the last quarter will redeem it for me.

message 25: by Jan (last edited Oct 10, 2020 03:43PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments Chapter 10 spoiler (view spoiler)

message 26: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Jan wrote: "Yes they are very long chapters.

Frankly I'd think hard, Joanna. For me it doesn't have the same class and quality of Kleypas' later works. I'm about 3/4 through and thinking 3 stars, maybe? I do..."

Thanks Jan. I have read an early Kleypas before reading her more popular series and didn’t get what the hype was about....so have been hesitant.

message 27: by Ana (new)

Ana | 80 comments I have just finished chapter 3. Is it me or is this book a lot angstier and gloomier than others by LK? I absolutely loved the Hathaways and the Revenels and this just feels waaaay different. And not good different.

message 28: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments I am finally starting to read this today.

message 29: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments Hope you enjoy, Mariana. I finished this morning and was overall a bit disappointed. 2.5 to 3 stars for me, and I don't intend to read any more in the series.

I didn't mind the married as children trope, but I didn't like the noble lady is an actress trope. It just didn't ring true to me.

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments Ana wrote: "I have just finished chapter 3. Is it me or is this book a lot angstier and gloomier than others by LK? I absolutely loved the Hathaways and the Revenels and this just feels waaaay different. And n..."

IMO Ana her later books are much better than these early ones.

message 31: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments I read the first 4 chapters today. I agree with Jan.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Topastro (new)

Topastro | 47 comments I normally don't like her older writing but I did enjoy this more than I thought I would. I just felt that the romance was superficial and Julia was too fickle for my liking.

message 33: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments Even though I still don't really like either the H or h and the chapters were long, the writing is engaging; and it is easy to plough through. I took the day off work, so I've had time to read all day and finish.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Ana (new)

Ana | 80 comments I finished this book. I could not connect with any of the characters at all. Julia was more all over the place than independent and strong willed. He childhood husband suffered a very unlikely 180 degrees transformation that was not all believable and I honestly didn't feel any love between them - at one point I actually hoped that William and Pauline would fall in love because that made more sense the main characters. I understand Logan finds love in the next installment and since I already own it, I'll probably give it a shot without getting my hopes up. As for the very problematic (view spoiler). This book was nowhere near the same league as "Marrying Winterborne", "Secrets of a Summer Night", "Married by Morning" or "Mine Till Midnight". I'm not even mentioning "Devil in Winter", that one is in a league of its own.

message 35: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments Ana wrote: "I finished this book. I could not connect with any of the characters at all. Julia was more all over the place than independent and strong willed. He childhood husband suffered a very unlikely 180 ..."

Agreed - to all!

message 36: by Topastro (new)

Topastro | 47 comments Ana wrote: "I finished this book. I could not connect with any of the characters at all. Julia was more all over the place than independent and strong willed. He childhood husband suffered a very unlikely 180 ..."

I agree 100% about Julia!

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan | 109 comments I finished this book last night. I actually quite enjoyed it. Much better than the BOTM1 (How to wed an earl). While it may not be as good as some of Kleypas' later works, I found the story engaging.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Somewhere I'll Find You (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lisa Kleypas (other topics)