Historical Romance Book Club discussion

How to Wed an Earl
This topic is about How to Wed an Earl
Gaol/BOTM > BOTM 1 - October 2020 - How To Wed An Earl

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - added it

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3792 comments Mod
Discussion thread for the First BOTM of October 2020. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions.)

Happy Reading!

How to Wed an Earl by Ivory Lei
How to Wed an Earl by Ivory Lei

Having regained his fortune, Lucas, Earl of Ravenstone, has to marry in order to keep it. Luckily, he won’t have to search for a wife—he’s known her name since their marriage was arranged in their youth. To fulfill his duty, he travels far from London Society to claim a fiancée who would no doubt be thrilled at the prospect of finally being able to use his name and become his countess.

Penelope Maitland has already been using Lucas’s name—to fend off her stepfamily’s creditors. After wasting decades waiting for him, she reckons it’s only fair she gets something out of her long-standing betrothal before she hears Lucas has married someone else.

When they accidentally meet in a coaching inn, she finds herself fighting dangerous girlhood fantasies about marrying the man of her dreams who broke her heart with his apparent lack of interest. And Lucas finds that in order to keep his fortune, he will have to lose his heart to a woman who is tired of waiting for him.

message 2: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon | 348 comments Oh this looks good! Looking forward to this October read!

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments Yeah I might join this read when October rocks around.

message 4: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments ive read this book twice and loved it both times. its a great read. the book is Penelope's all the way through.

Mariana | 2251 comments Since this book is available as part of Kindle Unlimited, I think I'll try KU for the first time and join in.

message 6: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments Mariana wrote: "Since this book is available as part of Kindle Unlimited, I think I'll try KU for the first time and join in."

Nice. I used to have KU but wasn't using it enough so gave it up. I may buy this book to join the read. I like trying new (to me) authors now and then.

Mariana | 2251 comments Jan wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Since this book is available as part of Kindle Unlimited, I think I'll try KU for the first time and join in."

Nice. I used to have KU but wasn't using it enough so gave it up. I m..."

I just realized something. The book by itself is $4.99, but you can get it with four others in All Around the Ton for $0.99. I think I'll do that instead of joining KU.

message 8: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments ive read this book twice and both the times I loved it. Penelope is absolutely fantastic.Im looking for ward to other views .

message 9: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments Mariana wrote: "I just realized something. The book by itself is $4.99, but you can get it with four others in All Around the Ton for $0.99. I think I'll do that instead of joining KU."

Thank you so much for the info, Mariana! I will buy it in the 99c collection. Excellent deal!! Luckily I hadn't yet bought my copy. I thought 4.99 wasn't too bad, but 99c is better! (Plus you get the other books too!)

message 10: by BJ (new)

BJ (barbararhodes) | 3 comments Jan wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I just realized something. The book by itself is $4.99, but you can get it with four others in All Around the Ton for $0.99. I think I'll do that instead of joining KU."

Thank you ..."

Thank you for the hot tip - I just bought this too!

Jultri | 402 comments It's on KU, yay! I'll be joining.

Topastro | 46 comments Finished this last night and loved it! I was not expecting to like it as much as I did.

message 13: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments isn't Penelope absolutely fantastic

message 14: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 605 comments Sounds like it could be a good read. Might join in, if I can find a copy.

Merry Christmas Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 403 comments I'm joining the read. I have KU till 10/15.

Mariana | 2251 comments Wow, Topastro, that was quick!

Seems this will be an entertaining read with a lot of interest and comments. Looking forward to it!

The cost Is reasonable too - free for KU subscribers and 99 cents for those of us who are not.

message 17: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments its available on Scribd if anyone's interested especially the collection mentioned by Mariana " All around the Ton"..

Padma | 192 comments BOTM 1 & 2 are available in the android app AnyBooks

Merry Christmas Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 403 comments I have started the book and am enjoying it so I went to see if the author has any other books in the series. Her website shows another that she was working on in 2013 and her publisher link is no longer active.

message 20: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments same here. haven't found any other book written by her

message 21: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments is this a pseudonym?

Merry Christmas Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 403 comments I am commenting on chapters 1 thru 4. A neglectful father who showed little interest in his daughter signs a marriage contract for his daughter. Years later the story picks up. A lot of the first 4 chapters are in the book blurb just more fleshed out. A bit of instant attraction and a bit of plain girl are there also.

message 23: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - added it

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3792 comments Mod
Leena wrote: "is this a pseudonym?"

Most HR authors use pseudonyms, I believe. But I did find her as Ivory Lei on Twitter and Facebook with more recent posts than her website -- posts from this year. Maybe I can send her a message.

message 24: by Missy (new) - added it

Missy | 898 comments I look forward to reading this book by a new-to-me author.

Mariana | 2251 comments I started and read the first three chapters. I am enjoying this debut. Although the arranged marriage trope has been done, the book feels fresh. I like the Earl's willingness to not only honor his father's contract but allow his attraction to play out and improve his mood. Not sure why he would rather have a marriage without passion but hope it doesn't cause a serious issue. Based on the tone thus far, I want it to continue to be lighthearted and easy.

message 26: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments Welp I've started this one too. I started over on the other BOTM and am liking it quite a bit but so far no one has joined me over there LOL so I've started this too. I often read more than one book at a time so it's not a problem. For the other BOTM I have a paperback copy and I often do this as well - have a paper-based book and an electronic book going at the same time. *shrugs*

I've read up to Chapter 5 in this one. 20% in. Seems like it's going to be a fairly quick read. (270 pages, I think - many are over 300).

I like trying new-to-me authors and I'm going in with an open mind, but so far I'm not really loving it that much. The writing is not really my preferred style. It seems a lighter style whereas I often prefer more intense, emotional reads. Still, I certainly don't hate this book - it just hasn't fully hooked me in yet. I do quite like Lucas and Penelope so far though. I will read on and see.... Fingers crossed I get more drawn in to the story.

Padma | 192 comments 3.5 stars..Agree..was a lighter read ..I prefer more intense emotional plots

Mariana | 2251 comments Although some of my favorites are emotional reads, in general, I more frequently prefer and read lighthearted books that provide escape from reality without much drama.

This is easy to read, and I will certainly finish soon. However, not sure it will be memorable.

I think Ivory Lei has a lot of great writing potential with this as her debut. It is a shame she does not seem to have continued developing her skill.

Madison | 23 comments I think I will read the sample of this eBook and decide if I'm going to participate!

message 30: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments Mariana wrote: "Although some of my favorites are emotional reads, in general, I more frequently prefer and read lighthearted books that provide escape from reality without much drama.

This is easy to read, and I..."

Yes I know what you're saying Mariana. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for that lighthearted easy read too. Not always memorable, but light entertainment and escapism.

I too am surprised this is Lei's only book. Perhaps it's why I've never heard of her before if she has only the one published.

message 31: by Susan (last edited Oct 03, 2020 10:26PM) (new)

Susan | 98 comments It's a long weekend here so I have finished this one.
On the whole I enjoyed it - it is very lighthearted and easy to read, but as someone else has noted, I am unlikely to remember it.

I did find the plot somewhat convoluted with multiple linked back stories which were not particularly well developed. I went back and re-read the prologue after I had finished to try and work out why Uncle Hugo was so against the marriage (view spoiler)

I had a chuckle during the scene involving the suit of armour.

3 stars from me - I am not sorry that I read it. A easy way to spend an afternoon.

Merry Christmas Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 403 comments I finished it quickly and enjoyed it. I will also throw in that the book had a lot of potential and I would have read a second in the series. I wonder if uncle Hugo would have been developed further in the next book that was never published.
One wonders what happened in life that the second book never came about.

Katherine Grant | 10 comments I finished this off in one, cozy Sunday morning, so no complaints there! Overall, this book didn't quite hit the spot for me - but that's partly because I get annoyed by things like characters getting their gowns for the ball the same day as the ball.

What I liked: Penelope as a strong, imaginative woman; Lucas as a strong, loving man; and both of them feeling very vulnerable and unlovable. What didn't work for me: the plot! This one was a little too wacky for me. (view spoiler)

That said, I agree there was a lot of potential for a series here, so I hope Ivory finds her way back to publishing!

Darbella | 351 comments Finished. Penelope was an awesome heroine. Lucas grew on me.
I agree with Katherine and Susan that the plot was wacky/convoluted. I liked this quick read.

message 35: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments I finished too. It was an easy and quick read, although I agree with the comments that the plot did get a bit too complicated.

I found it okay overall but it wasn't really my cup of tea, and I probably would have dnf'ed except 1) it was so quick and easy to read and 2) it was a BOTM so I thought I'd stick it out. I gave 2 "okay" stars.

I did like Penelope/Polly and Lucas, and there were some cute moments, but yeah, this one wasn't really my kind of book. I'm glad I read it though. Even though Lei doesn't seem to have written any more books just yet, I do like trying new-to-me authors and who knows, she may one day follow this up with another book that could be worth a look. It was a good choice for a BOTM.

message 36: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments I did get in touch with her on FB and she's writing Mari's and David's love story.

message 37: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments I liked it most for Penelope's strength if character.

message 38: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 123 comments I’ll join in since it’s on KU

message 39: by Jultri (last edited Oct 08, 2020 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jultri | 402 comments I'm about a quarter of the way through. There are several things that are bothering me already:
(view spoiler)
I do like how the author depicts the closeness of her family. As Jan pointed out, normally the above issues would have resulted in me giving up on this book by now, but it's a short book and a BOTM, so I will continue.

message 40: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 298 comments all your views are so interesting. I just read it and loved it. I shall now re read it with keeping all the individual views in mind.

Debby*BabyDee | 584 comments I've started this and am close to finishing. I am really loving this book and storyline. I've never read anything by this author so this is a first time read for me.

I am really loving Penelope and Lucas characters.

Madison | 23 comments Hey! So, I did end up reading this, and I finished a little bit ago! I feel similarly to many of you in that it was an okay read, but not exceedingly memorable and convoluted at times.

I enjoyed Penelope as a heroine, but many of the characters felt underdeveloped to me.

message 43: by Jultri (last edited Oct 13, 2020 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jultri | 402 comments I'm 2/3 of the way through. It's a slog working my way through this book. I find myself distracted by all manner of tasks. This book is just not doing it for me. (view spoiler) And the plot holes are just piling up.

message 44: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments Yeah I agree. Your spoiler was a but problematical for me too.

message 45: by Mariana (last edited Oct 11, 2020 07:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana | 2251 comments Jultri wrote: "I'm 2/3 of the way through. It's a slug working my way through this book. I find myself distracted by all manner of tasks. This book is just not doing it for me. [spoilers removed] And the plot hol..."

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Missy (new) - added it

Missy | 898 comments I gave up at the 24% mark. :(

message 47: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments Missy wrote: "I gave up at the 24% mark. :("

I understand.

Merry Christmas Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 403 comments Its funny how books are. I have read raving reviews on a book that I am slogging through that feels like it will never end and another review will rave about it. I did enjoy the book (it did have plot inconsistencies!) I also wondered where the money went. A lot of dreaming about her prince in shining armor.

message 49: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 123 comments I finished this last night. It had some flaws but it was quick and fun. I’m not a person that complains about historical accuracy but in this one the language felt very modern at times

message 50: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1820 comments Merry Jewelhound wrote: "Its funny how books are. I have read raving reviews on a book that I am slogging through that feels like it will never end and another review will rave about it. I did enjoy the book (it did have p..."

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes you read reviews and you think, am I reading the same book?

« previous 1