Play Book Tag discussion

Hamilton: The Revolution
This topic is about Hamilton
September 2020: Other Books > Hamilton the Revolution by Lin Manuel Miranda - 5 stars!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8278 comments Well this was an entire multi media experience and I just loved it!

Many of you know my husband and I saw Hamilton last September. Our neighbors had tickets and the kids were sick - they couldn't go. Treated us to them. And we went on a random Thursday night, if I recall, the only evening in September we actually had free. I had thought to make a real dinner for a change, and maybe read some Harry Potter. Instead we went to the show.

Let me tell you, we were the only ones I had ever known at the time that never heard the lyrics before going. I am/was a die hard believer that you don't listen to a show before experiencing it. You let it unfold before you - its part of the theater experience. I have no idea about all these people who listen to the album before going. That appears to be a new thing. Even if its true I would have enjoyed the show a whole lot more if I had known the lyrics before, that's the experience. Walking in blind. I'm not sure I would have loved it another way. But I saw it! Had my Hamilton experience, thanks to Rebecca and Jason! Our dear friends, who have given us so much more in their friendship beyond the tickets!

Anyway, this time around I got the book that describes the making and development of the play. And just before I got it, I have no idea how this happened, I got to watch and experience Freestyle Love Supreme on Hulu! Which was awesome background. That really told me the story of the group and In the Heights and the process that ultimately became Hamilton. I am just not the type to have an hour plus to watch a documentary, but this one just pulled me in.

So the book as it has been described, has all these histories, photos, and annotations on the side where Lin Manuel Miranda shares his thinking and allusions and how it all came together. Its real insider stuff. Its packaged incredibly well. I would read the histories and the photos and listen to the music on Alexa from the living room. I listened to all of the numbers except two, that Alexa couldn't provide. Youtube completed the rest. I would listen and read the lyrics and then look at the annotations on the side. That was a full multimedia experience. Between Alexa, Hulu, YouTube, and the actual print book. I just really loved and appreciated it. And so glad I saw it blind first. And so glad I saw the Freestyle Love Supreme documentary as well. What a fabulous well timed experience for a book I've so been meaning to read. Five stars all the way around. Plus constitution for a feather in my cap.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Need to watch the Freestyle Love Supreme doc! I've watched quite a few youtube videos of the show clips, and am always in awe.

Joy D | 3182 comments It sounds like the hard copy is the way to go. Glad you enjoyed it, Amy! The audio was odd in that they footnotes were read at the very end without any context to go with it.

Joy D | 3182 comments It sounds like the hard copy is the way to go. Glad you enjoyed it, Amy! The audio was odd in that the footnotes were read at the very end without any context to go with it.

annapi | 4903 comments Have you seen the movie version on Disney+? It's so awesome, you have to see it! You can watch it for free here: https://flixtor.to/watch/movie/311670...

Though I don't know how long it will be available, so better watch it asap!