LPL YA Virtual Book Club discussion

9/20 There's Someone Inside... > Topic 5: Motivation for Murder

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lafayette Public Library Reads (lafayettepubliclibraryreads) | 192 comments Mod
Why was committing the murders “just something I have to do”? Do you think his feelings about being trapped in a small town are realistic? Did his motivation work well withing the confines of the story?

message 2: by Lacey (new)

Lacey (libqueen10) | 29 comments I felt that the reason behind the killer's murders was very weak. Did it work well within the confines of this story? I'd say it was a far reach to make it tie in to the underlying challenges that all of the other characters were dealing with. However, it just felt very unconvincing. I also felt very unattached to the victims of the murderer leading up to the final scene as well as the killer himself. Now, had the killer turned out to be one of the main characters, that would have been more of a surprise and the want to know why would have been more powerful.

I do believe that his feelings about being trapped in a small town are definitely real and in fact, pretty common. I've actually been there before, but enough to make me go out and kill a bunch of random teens because they may actually have a chance at leaving? That's a big no. There just wasn't enough there for me.

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Sep 10, 2020 02:29PM) (new)

Michelle | 14 comments His feelings of being trapped are realistic. His motivations did work well within the realm of the story. He was dealing with average emotions of a small town teen almost an adult, not much of a future in sight. All the characters were dealing with emotional challenges, David just handled them differently. Something in his brain snapped.
I was kept guessing as to how the victims were related. I know it wouldn't have been too realistic but I would have liked for the murderer to have monologued his plan and reasons a little more.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 14 comments Lacey wrote: "had the killer turned out to be one of the main characters, that would have been more of a surprise and the want to know why would have been more powerful ..."

I would not have been surprised if the murderer was a main character, I feel that would have been a little predictable. I enjoyed it being a background character that no one considered much of anything.

message 5: by Katelin (new)

Katelin | 33 comments I think the whole point worked well. He was insignificant all the way around: as a character and as a person in their world. His whole reason for committing the murders was because he was invisible and never going to make anything of himself. I liked that. I can also see how he'd hate people he thought were going to make it out of there, but killing them was a bit of a dramatic response.