Play Book Tag discussion

West with the Night
This topic is about West with the Night
September 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] West with the Night by Beryl Markham - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3228 comments West with the Night by Beryl Markham - 4 stars - My Review

Beryl Markham (1902-1986) certainly led an adventurous life. Born in England, she moved to Kenya at age four. Her life included “up close and personal” experiences with African wildlife, training racehorses, and flying aircraft. She flew the African bush, bringing medical supplies to remote locations, spotting wildlife, and searching for downed pilots. She flew from Nairobi to London. She was the first woman to fly solo east to west over the Atlantic, from England to Nova Scotia.

Published in 1942, the majority of the book is focused on her life in Africa. She encounters lions, elephants, warthogs, zebras, and more. The final two chapters describe her solo flight. She keeps her private life private, sticking to career, colleagues, friends, and family.

What a wonderful memoir. Markham definitely had a way with words. Her writing is descriptive, eloquent, and artistic. Her love for Africa is unmistakable. I felt a sense of accompanying her on her flights. If you are looking for well-written non-fiction about a strong woman that led the life of a non-conformist, pick this one up. As an added bonus, Anna Fields does a first-rate job of voice acting in the audio book.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7255 comments I really enjoyed this on too-She was quite a woman

message 3: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn (lynm) | 273 comments This has been on my tbr since I read Circling the Sun. Your review encourages me to move it up on the list! And being able to post it to the Poll Tally challenge is a bonus. I'll try to get to it before the challenge ends!

Joy D | 3228 comments Joanne wrote: "I really enjoyed this on too-She was quite a woman"
Glad you enjoyed it, too, JoAnne! I agree.

Joy D | 3228 comments Lyn wrote: "This has been on my tbr since I read Circling the Sun. Your review encourages me to move it up on the list! And being able to post it to the Poll Tally challenge is a bonus. I'll tr..."
I read both books in close succession. I have to admit I enjoyed the non-fiction more than the fiction.