Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency, #1)
This topic is about The Collapsing Empire
BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > The Collapsing Empire /Overall Discussion /**spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandy | 1665 comments I really tore through this book. Probably because I like the way the author writes. I loved the idea of the Memory Room - really an interesting idea. While the emperox did not seem to be really a flushed out character, I liked the linkages between the characters. I liked Kiva, Cardenia and Marce but hope the next book makes them more dimensional.

I am trying to decide if I like books more that treat sex as an exercise and/or release for the character or as birds and angels singing and fireworks.

Really loved the intrigue in the book and enjoyed the plotting of the houses.

Ophelia Gunn (opheliagunn) | 66 comments Can't wait to get stuck into this one. From what I saw in the look inside on Amazon this looks like a fun read with an engaging writing style.

message 4: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Really enjoyed the politics, the characters and the worlds setup in this. lots of tongue in cheek moments without being totally comical.

Sandy | 1665 comments For whatever reason the part of the story that stuck with me the most as the real world values was when (view spoiler)

Gareth Lee | 31 comments I liked this one a lot. The names of the ships were marvellous.

However it did seem like a really unappealing universe to live in. A lot of dystopian SF universes would of course objectively be worse for the reader they are exciting. This one seemed like it would be a really squalid existence in cramped living conditions being treated like dirt by a lot jumped-up arseholes.

message 7: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2984 comments Mod
It was a fun book but I feel like it's setup for future books.

The society is technologically advanced but backward socially with its nobility and guilds.

message 8: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
definitely set up for the sequels , but at least the sequels are released so no wait on seeing where it goes.

message 9: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah. Except I made myself focus on reading only owned books instead of library books for now, but I think when the new year starts I will get a bunch of library books to continue series I started.

message 10: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 2022 comments Mod
I read this a while back and I cannot remember anything about it, I must have enjoyed it because I gave it four stars but any sort of detail is just gone...maybe I'm getting old...

message 11: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's a dialogue-heavy book. Cardenia becomes the new emperox and has two assassination attempts; Kiva flies to End and back out; Marce leaves End. The villainous siblings get in the way. That's about it.

Ophelia Gunn (opheliagunn) | 66 comments I enjoyed this one. Not a challenging read (in terms of the actual science side of it) so I read the complete trilogy one after the other.
I loved Kiva, Cardenia, Marce (and yes, even Ghreni). A little too much lazy info-dumping though in this first book.

Thanks for this month's rec!

Sandy | 1665 comments I really did not want the death in the first assassination attempt. I really liked that character. There was a lot of potential in those interactions.

I did think the planning of the antagonist was really well done and well presented in the book.

message 14: by Lel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1943 comments I liked this book, in fact I dont think that I have read a single Scalzi book that I didn't like. The characters are always so believable and multilayered and the odd bits of humor are great. I feel like there was a lot of science in this one but I didnt feel bogged down with it. Will definitely read the rest of the series.