Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2020 > 10.7 Non-Fiction (Ed's Task)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5995 comments Read a Non-Fiction book that is NOT a biography, autobiography or memoir.

Please post any questions or comments about task 10.7 in this thread.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1102 comments Is poetry considered non-fiction for this task?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11868 comments Beth wrote: "Is poetry considered non-fiction for this task?"

Yes. This task applies to our usual culprits for not-a-novel except biography, autobiography or memoir.

message 4: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments Thoughts on How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi? I see that some users have marked it as memoir, but it feels like not a memoir to me...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11868 comments Joanna wrote: "Thoughts on How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi? I see that some users have marked it as memoir, but it feels like not a memoir to me..."

We will accept this for nonfiction, even though it may also include the author's personal experiences.

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments How about Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda?

This is really about the creation of the musical rather than a biography of Hamilton, but the musical itself is basically a biography of Hamilton.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11868 comments Joanna wrote: "How about Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda?

This is really about the creation of the musical rather than a biography of Hamilton, but the musical its..."

This looks more like biography to me - both of Hamilton and of the creators of the musical.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1102 comments What will Walden be? Memoir or something else?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11868 comments Beth wrote: "What will Walden be? Memoir or something else?"

This appears to blur the lines. It is more than memoir, apparently. We will allow it for this task.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 532 comments May I get a ruling on

I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel?

Some readers have marked it as memoir/bio. I'd say it's a collection of essays about reading and being a book lover, but it certainly is all about the author's experiences as such. Not sure how you'd like to interpret.

Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11868 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "May I get a ruling on

I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel?

Some readers have marked it as memoir/bio. I'd say it's..."

Although this may include the author's personal experiences with a book, it appears to mostly be about reading itself and not a memoir. Enjoy!

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary | 745 comments Would The Collected Works Of Billy The Kid: Left Handed Poems by Michael Ondaatje qualify for this task? It is poetry but poetry about the life of Billy the Kid so sort of a biography.

Thanks

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11868 comments Mary wrote: "Would The Collected Works Of Billy The Kid: Left Handed Poems by Michael Ondaatje qualify for this task? It is poetry but poetry about the life of Billy the Kid so sort..."

Although the presentation is unusual (to say the least!), this is more biography than not. I'm sorry, but it doesn't fit the spirit of the task.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary | 745 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Mary wrote: "Would The Collected Works Of Billy The Kid: Left Handed Poems by Michael Ondaatje qualify for this task? It is poetry but poetry about the life of Billy th..."

Makes sense, I really don’t know what to make of it yet! It will work for 20.10