Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2020 > 10.8 Jetsetters (Anika's Task)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Read a book that takes place in at least either three countries or three U.S. states. There is no set percentage, it could be as little as a paragraph, as long as it is clear that action has taken place in three distinct locales. Please include the countries/states visited when claiming this task.

Please post any questions or comments about task 10.8 in this thread.

message 2: by Valerie (last edited Sep 05, 2020 11:13AM) (new)

Valerie Brown | 2388 comments Can it be any combination thereof. (omg... I`m on a work computer and the keyboard is locked on some type of alt text so I can`t get a question mark! ha, ha....)

I mean 2 states, one other country specifically.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11953 comments Valerie wrote: "Can it be any combination thereof. (omg... I`m on a work computer and the keyboards is locked on some type of alt text so I can`t get a question mark! ha, ha....)

I mean 2 states, one other countr..."

Yes you can. I asked that specific question in our mods group.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2388 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Can it be any combination thereof. (omg... I`m on a work computer and the keyboards is locked on some type of alt text so I can`t get a question mark! ha, ha....)

I mean 2 states, ..."

Good. Thanks.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1102 comments Could you provide an example? Do you mean there is some event happening at the same time, like when a book has three points of view? Or a character travels to multiple places in the book?

And do they need to be real countries? Or can they be fantasy world countries?

message 6: by Anika (new)

Anika | 1852 comments The intent behind the task is real locales only.
And either of your examples would work: as long as action happens in a minimum of three different countries/states, regardless of whether it's the same character visiting them or if it's three different people in those three places as long as at least three different countries/states appear in the book it would work.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 777 comments Will non state locations in the U S work? For example District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico?

Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11953 comments Thanks, Anika. Yes, Mary, you could count each of those as being one of the three different real locales for this task.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 777 comments Thanks!

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1500 comments The task says "read a book," not "read a novel," so will short story collections work? I'm not sure that is the intention of the task, as there could be zero traveling in an entire collection. Thanks either way, just looking for combo points.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11953 comments Denise wrote: "The task says "read a book," not "read a novel," so will short story collections work? I'm not sure that is the intention of the task, as there could be zero traveling in an entire collection. Than..."

"Takes place", not travel, and yes, a short story collection would work.

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1500 comments Thank you, I'm glad I misunderstood. I got focused on the task title instead of the description.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11953 comments I think Anika is herself a jetsetter, but she's all about reading!

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise | 1500 comments Yes, I think that is part of the reason I zoomed in on the travel part!

message 15: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 436 comments Does "take place" include flashbacks/memories by a main character of things that happened in other countries? In the Maisie Dobbs series, Maisie remembers things she experienced in the past in other countries.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11953 comments Owlette wrote: "Does "take place" include flashbacks/memories by a main character of things that happened in other countries? In the Maisie Dobbs series, Maisie remembers things she experienced in the past in othe..."

Yes. Anika has been very generous and says even a paragraph will satisfy one of the places.

message 17: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 436 comments Great - thanks to Anika!