Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2020 > 10.9 Autumn Leaves (Mary's Task)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6147 comments Read a book which includes an autumn leaf color (orange, red, brown or yellow) in the title or author's name. Any alternative for these four color names also qualifies. Examples: tangerine, and pumpkin qualify as orange; crimson and scarlet qualify as red, etc.

Please post any questions or comments about task 10.9 in this thread.

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2951 comments Would it work in another language - for example Lilian Jackson Braun, "braun" is German for "brown"

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would it work in another language - for example Lilian Jackson Braun, "braun" is German for "brown""

Now that's using your imagination! Yes, we'll take it.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2474 comments ha.... Thanks, Rosemary! If the book I chose ends up not being available, I have a shelf full of her books!

message 5: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2951 comments Great! Also I have just finished a book by Bruno Vincent, "bruno" is Italian for "dark brown"...?

message 6: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 05, 2020 01:48PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Yes to Bruno also. And thank you for asking ahead of time so we'll have a heads up about these.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1398 comments I've just read Darling Rose Gold. Would gold work for yellow or orange?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Connie wrote: "I've just read Darling Rose Gold. Would gold work for yellow or orange?"

Yes.

message 9: by Karen Michele (last edited Sep 05, 2020 02:27PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments Does it work if there is a hyphen, a compound word or the color is intact within the name or title or is it meant to be a stand along color word?

red-haired / redhead / redford (author)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments We will accept red-haired and redhead as the task is worded "includes" and the red referring to a color is clear and meaningful as to the color. The compound name such as redford may not refer to the color and I think we won't start going out on a limb. Also title words or author names that "hide" the letter sequence within them, such as colored or Frederick, will not be allowed.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1109 comments Rose?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Beth wrote: "Rose?"

Yes - the color not the flower though, so rose garden wouldn't work.

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "We will accept red-haired and redhead as the task is worded "includes" and the red referring to a color is clear and meaningful as to the color. The compound name such as redford may not refer to t..."

That sounds good. I have plenty of books that fit directly, but I'm obsessing as usual over every combo point and every book I could possibly read this season. I did recently read and enjoy Redhead by the Side of the Road, though if anyone is looking;)

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1109 comments I am assuming it works as a name though, since Braun does.... Bloody Rose

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Beth wrote: "I am assuming it works as a name though, since Braun does.... Bloody Rose"

Yes, sorry, I should have clarified that.

message 16: by Ed (last edited Sep 05, 2020 05:16PM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 2413 comments Pink?
Golden?

message 17: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 05, 2020 05:17PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Ed wrote: "Pink?"

LOL - OK, since we'll allow rose.

message 18: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 05, 2020 06:45PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Beth wrote: "Rose?"

I'm wrong about my answer above to Beth. Rose in the title works as long as it's a standalone word.

All of the words work in the title as stand alones regardless of reference, and some compound words as I've noted above, as in red-haired.

message 19: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1911 comments If red-haired is ok ..... would redhead be ok? I'm thinking of Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler. Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Deedee wrote: "If red-haired is ok ..... would redhead be ok? I'm thinking of Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler. Thanks!"

yes

message 21: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2523 comments I figure since pumpkin qualifies for orange, cherry would qualify for red?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Tien wrote: "I figure since pumpkin qualifies for orange, cherry would qualify for red?"

Yes, good deduction!

message 23: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2523 comments Excellent! Thank you :)

message 24: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariealex) | 649 comments Hi ! I guess books by Jonathan Safran Foer fit, since Safran is french for Saffron, correct ?

Also, if i understand correctly, the color in a title needs to refer to a color and not to an homonym (for instance The Ginger Tree would not work) - is that right?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12327 comments Marie wrote: "Hi ! I guess books by Jonathan Safran Foer fit, since Safran is french for Saffron, correct ?

Also, if i understand correctly, the color in a title needs to refer to a color and not..."

We will accept both of these.