Horror Aficionados discussion

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
This topic is about World War Z
Buddy Reads > World War Z - Max Brooks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie and I are going to start reading World War Z this weekend. If anyone would like to join, please do!

message 2: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments i read it several years ago let me see if i can find my copy and i will join you guys

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Looking forward to it!🧟‍♀️❤

Terry | 4837 comments I enjoyed this when I read it a few years ago. Hope you both enjoy! If you’ve seen the Brad Pitt movie, it was really quite different than the book.

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "I enjoyed this when I read it a few years ago. Hope you both enjoy! If you’ve seen the Brad Pitt movie, it was really quite different than the book."

I can already tell. I’m doing the audiobook for this and it’s just great so far! Glad you liked this one Terry!
I love the progression of how the zombie infection starts. It feels very real and relatable right now. 🤣😂

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Yes it does, Ginger!

And yeah, Terry, I'd heard that about the book and movie being different. But I did enjoy the movie.😊 I usually like the books better, so we'll see.😉

message 7: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments The movie is nothing like the book. The book starts very realistically

Because it was by Mel Brooks son I first picked it up as a comedy lol

Ginger | 3223 comments I can totally see the confusion Kevin! 🤣😂

message 9: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments I didnt read the back or story just started in and wow Altho it could have been a satire on a different level

message 10: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments I found my copy Have you guys started >

Renee (elenarenee) I loved this book. I wish I still had it. I would do a reread with you.

message 12: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments oh sorry i foundmine in a box in the attic lol

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 454 comments This book is fantastic!

message 14: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Where are you in it

Ginger | 3223 comments Renee wrote: "I loved this book. I wish I still had it. I would do a reread with you."

It’s been super good so far Renee! I can see why you like it!

Ginger | 3223 comments Lisa wrote: "This book is fantastic!"

I’m starting to see that!! Glad you loved it Lisa!

message 17: by Ginger (last edited Sep 07, 2020 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ginger | 3223 comments Kevin & Vickie,

I’m in Part 3 of 5, Turning the Tide. About 48% done. It’s super hard to tell if the audiobook matches the chapters in the book?

I’m at the part when the woman is telling her story about going North as a girl.
I love all the different first person stories while this is all gong on. I especially enjoyed the mercenary’s story about being in (view spoiler)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments I'm only 20% in but enjoying it so far. I'm on The Great Panic part, right behind you Ginger.😊

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments I wish I saw this thread a few days ago. I started another book already. I’ve have this book and have been meaning to read it. I will try to read and catch up.

message 20: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Ok Nancy I just found my copy that I had in the attic and am re reading it Just about 10 per cent in I will catch up to your other guys

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments I found my copy! I am starting it now.

message 22: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments see i knew you would want to keep up with me lol

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments Kevin. wrote: "see i knew you would want to keep up with me lol"

Ha!

message 24: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments but true lol

Ginger | 3223 comments Nancy wrote: "I wish I saw this thread a few days ago. I started another book already. I’ve have this book and have been meaning to read it. I will try to read and catch up."

Awesome Nancy!! Glad you can join us!

Ginger | 3223 comments Kevin. wrote: "Ok Nancy I just found my copy that I had in the attic and am re reading it Just about 10 per cent in I will catch up to your other guys"

Glad you found that copy in the attic Kevin! LOL!

message 27: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments me too the best it was on topof the first box i openned

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments I didn’t get too far last night but I am enjoying it. I like this format of the interviews and getting a seeing how everything happened versus a story that is a retelling from a specific character or groups of characters viewpoints.

message 29: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments I have to say in reading it I picked up my details minor but important in the beginning.

Its funny how governments try to downplay something and the more denials the harder it is to control IMHO

Ginger | 3223 comments Kevin. wrote: "Its funny how governments try to downplay something and the more denials the harder it is to control IMHO"

Yes, totally agree Kevin! LOL!

Ginger | 3223 comments Nancy wrote: "I didn’t get too far last night but I am enjoying it. I like this format of the interviews and getting a seeing how everything happened versus a story that is a retelling from a specific character ..."

Glad you are enjoying it so far Nancy! I also like the format of the interviews. It feels more real for me.

message 32: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments And now we have an admission and there are still people saying its a hoax and the same same who said its serious is now say its not

Back to the book what I am even more enjoying the second time the fact that even tho its a history there is still elements of suspense and real suspense

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments It does feel real and the suspense is definitely there.

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Yes, agree with you both. I enjoy reading a ton of zombie stories that are jam-packed with action, so at times I struggle with this writing style. Of course, I knew that going into it, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but it's still enjoyable enough.😊

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments “Looking back, I still can’t believe how unprofessional the news media was. So much spin, so few hard facts. All those digestible sound bites from an army of “experts” all contradicting one another, all trying to seem more “shocking” and “in depth” than the last one. It was all so confusing, nobody seemed to know what to do.”

Ginger | 3223 comments Nancy wrote: "“Looking back, I still can’t believe how unprofessional the news media was. So much spin, so few hard facts. All those digestible sound bites from an army of “experts” all contradicting one another..."

Hahaha! Doesn't sound familar at all, huh? ;) LOL!!

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie wrote: "Yes, agree with you both. I enjoy reading a ton of zombie stories that are jam-packed with action, so at times I struggle with this writing style. Of course, I knew that going into it, so I'm takin..."

It get that. I'm wishing for a bit more action as well but still really enjoying this one.

message 38: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Hey Ginger Nancy wrote it before the revelations in the Woodward book so now its worse.

I understand your comment about action but I am reading it as a history taken from people that were they by someone who wasnt so I understand there is a bit of a disconnect.

I am still enjoying it the second time around

Kevin

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments I’m somewhere in the middle and it does feel like it had slowed down a bit. Kind of lost the suspense. I’m hopeful it will pick up the pace again.

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments I finished this one today. Have to give it to Brooks, he is definitely creative. Glad I finally got to this one, enjoyed it. Thanks for the buddy read!

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie wrote: "I finished this one today. Have to give it to Brooks, he is definitely creative. Glad I finally got to this one, enjoyed it. Thanks for the buddy read!"

Glad you liked it Vickie! I finished it up a few days ago.
Sorry that I didn't contribute much in the BR forum. It's hard to do with audiobooks. I just end up listening and not really paying attention to where I am. LOL!!

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments No worries! I imagine this one is much better by audio vs reading. 😊

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie wrote: "No worries! I imagine this one is much better by audio vs reading. 😊"

It was so good as an audio! I was impressed. :D

message 44: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments I finished my re read I found a little more details in it and still enjoyed the concept. In a way seeing the aftereffects years later was even more dramatic.
Anyone want to discuss it

message 45: by Nancy (last edited Sep 19, 2020 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy (paper_addict) | 712 comments I’m not finished yet. I am at 75% (just finished the Chinese nuclear powered submarine).

I am not going to lie, my interest started to wane and I was getting a little bored in the middle of the book.

I do find it interesting how the story shows each country’s reactions and how they handle the crisis (some of which is probably rooted in stereotypes and other things based on real things (like North Korea’s underground tunnels, bunkers, and military bases. That would be frightening to be trapped underground and one infected got in!).

message 46: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments Almost as frightening as Trump having another Supreme Court pick lol

Renee (elenarenee) my heart broke hearing about Ruth She was an amazing woman

message 48: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 75 comments I agree her opinions even ones I didnt fully agree with were very good

Ginger | 3223 comments Nancy wrote: "I’m not finished yet. I am at 75% (just finished the Chinese nuclear powered submarine).

I am not going to lie, my interest started to wane and I was getting a little bored in the middle of the b..."

Felt the same Nancy. My interest started to wane a bit around the 50-60% mark but then it gets much better at the end! It got more action at the end which is just wanted I needed.

Ginger | 3223 comments Renee wrote: "my heart broke hearing about Ruth She was an amazing woman"

Totally agree Renee. I was gutted last night when she died.
I've been working in a male dominated field for over 20 years now and was a huge fan of RBG. I loved that she faught for women to get paid the same, in the same position.
We've got to keep pressing on and don't give up on making sure everyone has a seat at the table! :D

« previous 1