Play Book Tag discussion

Broken (My Broken Hitman, #1)
This topic is about Broken
September 2020: Other Books > (Poll Ballot Tally) Broken by Talia Ellison - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5129 comments One word sums it all up: cheesy. Protagonists from rival mafia gangs fall in love. There must have been a previous book with the story of their meeting, because we come into this in the middle, with Theo supposedly having sworn to kill Chiara because she killed the woman who was his surrogate mother and gang boss. Speaking of, these gangs have the cheesiest names - the Cobras, the Spiders, Rosa Nera, and a Panther at the end. Tired old push-me-pull-you romance tropes with "It's not you, it's me" and "I'm not good enough for you" yada yada, then they promptly have sex in the next scene. The writing is so corny it's painful, reading like kids playing at being bad guys. At least the sex scenes were tolerable, though still cheesy. The only reason I finished this was for Poll Ballot, and only because the mafia tag is worth it (barely). I've certainly read worse, so I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 05, 2020 01:33PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5840 comments Anna, sometimes the worst books lead to entertaining reviews. Thank you. Thank you for taking one for the team.

annapi | 5129 comments LOL at least there wasn't a cliffhanger in the sense that this story arc had a conclusion. But it ended with a kidnapping that will have to be resolved in the next book. Since that book does NOT have a mafia tag I don't have to read it! (Yay!)