Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > combine into main? (Lena Dunham)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 561 comments hello! this online-only novel by Lena Dunham is on the vogue.com site...
someone also created records for the individual chapters (all 20 of them), I wanted to confirm that they should all be merged into the main record?

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 561 comments also, I noticed that she has an unpublished listing for a book
"Famesick" but I think it's now going to be published with a pseudonym? https://books.google.com.pe/books/abo... searching for the ISBN 9780008384210 shows bookseller listings for "Untitled" by "Ella Mitchell"

message 3: by lethe (last edited Sep 05, 2020 10:20AM) (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Andrew wrote: "There's not much point to changing WIPs before there's any concrete info announced. It might be an actual pseudonym, it might just be the publisher trying to keep knowledge of the book hidden in th..."

WIPs shouldn't be listed at all.

ETA Ah, but this isn't a WIP.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Andrew wrote: "I'm talking about Famesick which has already been issued isbns"

Yes, but a WIP is a work in progress, published in installments. They should not be added to the database before they are complete.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 561 comments lethe wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I'm talking about Famesick which has already been issued isbns"

Yes, but a WIP is a work in progress, published in installments. They should not be added to the database before they..."

no no...
we are now talking about the unpublished novel ("Famesick" or "untitled"). it should be published in full (no installments) next year (perhaps under the pseudonym Ella Mitchell). There are ISBNs in the current record 9781460713051 and 9781460759431 but it is recently mentioned for instance on AMAZON UK with 9780008384210 (hardcover) and B086RD9S41 (Kindle) -- these 2 aren't on the GR database yet. Should they be listed separate from "Famesick"? Should we wait until the info is more official on the title/author name?

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Andrea wrote: "no no...
we are now talking about the unpublished novel ("Famesick" or "untitled")."

My comment was in reply to Andrew who called Famesick a WIP.

message 7: by lethe (last edited Sep 05, 2020 01:19PM) (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Andrew wrote: "Anything not yet published can be called "WIP""

Not on Goodreads.

I read the thread you linked to. They are not being very consistent there, the Librarian Manual specifically states WIPs should not be added to the database. I always took that to mean installments of not yet finished works.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42487 comments Mod
Not adding in-progress works is mentioned in the Manual in reference to shorts and fanfic (or similar works). In-progress serials would generally fall in that category as well.

But books which have been announced (by the author and/or the publisher) are frequently added to the site. Sometimes they even have ISBNs assigned before the author has completed the writing process. This is especially common for sequels or other high-anticipation works.

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments rivka wrote: "Not adding in-progress works is mentioned in the Manual in reference to shorts and fanfic (or similar works). In-progress serials would generally fall in that category as well.

But books which hav..."

Thanks for the clarification. I have always thought of WIPs as in-progress works made available in installments, not as books that have been announced but not been completed yet.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Famesick (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lena Dunham (other topics)