Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Flight of a Maori Goddess (The Sea of Freedom Trilogy #3)
This topic is about Flight of a Maori Goddess
Buddy Reads: Current & Upcoming > Laura's & Megan's Informal Buddy Read for Flight of a Maori Goddess starting Sept 8, 2020.

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod
This topic is open to discuss Flight of a Maori Goddess by Sarah Lark

Synopsis
The dawning twentieth century brings change to New Zealand—and new opportunities for any woman bold enough to grasp them. Atamarie Turei, whose mother fought for suffrage, has enrolled as the first female student at the Canterbury College of Engineering. On a surveying trip she meets Richard Pearse, who shares her passion for aviation. Being part Maori, part white, and thoroughly independent, Atamarie is soon vilified by Richard’s conservative farm community, forcing her to navigate the next step in a liberating life.

Roberta Fence, Atamarie’s best friend, has just graduated from college. Obsessed with charismatic, womanizing doctor Kevin Drury, Roberta follows him to South Africa, where their work together in the brutal Boer concentration camps will change her—but not define her.

Soon, Atamarie and Roberta will discover that destiny lies closer to home. There, each woman forges a path through star-crossed love, family upheaval, and a shifting social landscape. And by reconciling ambition with the spirituality of her ancestors, Atamarie endeavors to make her dreams take flight at last.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod
r

Megan | 1607 comments I'm ready Laura :-) Will start reading this at some point tomorrow. Curious how she is going to finish this series off!

Laura | 9707 comments Me too!!

Laura | 9707 comments Finished part 1

(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Finished Part 1
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Megan, I don't have a kindle but I use the kindle app and I can go back and check anything prior and not lose my spot.
An actual kindle should be similar? I can bookmark my page on an ebook from Overdrive so I'm guessing there must be a way on the kindle.

Agree, this book starts off the least exciting but also agree it's rather nice not to have any rape scenes.

Laura | 9707 comments Finished part 2
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Part 3
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Part 3
Up to chpt 4
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments I'm using the browser kindle during the day because I'm working - so its easier to hide reading.

Finished Part 2(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Finshed part 3
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Laura (last edited Sep 10, 2020 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Part 4- chapter 2
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Finished part 4
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Finished Part 3 (view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Finished Part 4
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments I probably won't get to read the next part tomorrow Laura, I'm helping a friend move house

Megan | 1607 comments OK so I got through part 5 but I'm going to stop here and try and read the next part sunday
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Sounds good! I'll catch up later today and then likely finish on Sunday as Amazing Race starts in a couple of days.

Keep an eye on your messages this weekend as we will have several decisions to make.

Megan | 1607 comments I'll try to do the same. Part 6 looks to be 12 chapters and then the last part has only 4 chapters so maybe if we can get my friend moved quicker than I think it will take and I can get a quiet hour to myself I'll finish it over the weekend.

Ok will keep an eye out, gmails being a pain and not sending me notifications if I get an email so I'll try and fix that too.

Laura | 9707 comments Hopefully the move goes smoothly!

Laura | 9707 comments Part 5
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Part 6
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Finished!
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Sorry Megan, we went hiking Saturday and over to my brother's on Sunday that I didn't get to finish this yet.

Megan | 1607 comments Laura wrote: "Sorry Megan, we went hiking Saturday and over to my brother's on Sunday that I didn't get to finish this yet."

No problem!! Hope you had a good weekend :) Its not much of an ending I warn you

Laura | 9707 comments Part 6
Megan, I agree with everything you said. This part was catty and gossipy too. I agree, I don't like Juliet but Kevin isn't much better.

Atamarie hopelessly after Richard is annoying. I also don't like this book as much as the other two. She definitely ran out of things to write about in this book.
Almost finished

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Yes, I'd be up for it. I think the story over the 3 books was mostly engaging and I liked her writing style. I'd be up for trying another of her books

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flight of a Maori Goddess (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah Lark (other topics)