75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2021 Chat > Belated Labor Day WeekLONG Readathon - Sept 5-13, 2020

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7518 comments Mod
Siiiiince your moderators forgot about the Labor Day weekend readathon (I swear I thought about it last week but then it went poof bye bye from my mind!) we're going to have a weekLOOOOONG (or longer) Labor Day readathon!

It starts NOW! And goes until Sunday, Sept 13!

QUICK! What are you reading right now??

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2020 06:47AM) (new)

So these are just my reading goals till Monday. We'll see where I am then for the rest of the week!
1. Read first section (112 pgs) of A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir for the Ember Readalong with Penguin Teen.
2. Read first section (77 pgs) of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins for the FrightFall/Something Wicked readalong at Seasons of Reading/Castle Macabre and for RIPXIV!
3. Read up to pg 350 (on pg 99) in To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini to manage my 50 pgs a day (that I haven't maintained but what are weekends for?!) to finish before publication day on 9/15!
4. Finish reading Don't Look for Me by Wendy Walker (15% through), part of RIPXIV.
5. Finish listening to The Emerald Sea (The Glittering Court #3) by Richelle Mead (50% through)

message 3: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1393 comments I'm currently reading Crooked River, which I HAVE TO finish by the 13th because that's when it's due back at the library. I also just started listening to The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life last night. It's pretty short so I'm sure I'll finish it this week, if not this weekend.

message 5: by Lori (last edited Sep 05, 2020 08:57AM) (new)

Lori | 409 comments I am currently reading:
The Dry by Jane Harper, audio
A Killer Edition by Lorna Barrett, Library

I also have many Netgalley books to finish and I'm behind in my reading challenge. So hopefully I can catch up!

Thank you for starting this Elyse!

message 6: by Connie (last edited Sep 14, 2020 07:26AM) (new)

Connie | 218 comments I should be able to reach my GR Reading Challenge with this Labor Day WeekLong Readathon:
1. DONE Auntie Poldi and the Handsome Antonio by Mario Giordano Aunt Poldi and the Handsome Antonio
2. DONE A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3) by Anna Lee Huber A Grave Matter
3. DONE Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2) by Deanna Raybourn Silent in the Sanctuary
4. DONE The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15) by Jacqueline Winspear The American Agent
DID NOT READ Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Crooked Kingdom
5. DONE The Moon is Missing by Jenni Ogden The Moon is Missing
6. DONE Tea with the Black Dragon (Black Dragon, #1) by R.A. MacAvoy Tea with the Black Dragon
7. DONE. The Guardians by John Grisham The Guardians John Grisham

message 7: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments Well, it just so happens that I have an actual long weekend! Since Monday is Labor Day on top of a few other happenings, I have four whole days to catch up on some things.

Reading-wise, I need to finish Dune (Dune, #1) by Frank Herbert over the weekend, and then once I’ve got my hands on all my holds through the library, it will be Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer , Life and Death Twilight Reimagined (Twilight, #1.75) by Stephenie Meyer , and An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir this month.

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie | 387 comments Just received the new Louise Penny, All the Devils Are Here so I will be starting that;

Currently reading The Book of Essie;

Not sure what else I'll add in...

Thanks for getting the Readathon started!

message 9: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2020 06:49AM) (new)

Progress:
3. Yesterday I read to pg 180 (from 97) in To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini .
4. Yesterday I read to 43% (from 15%) in Don't Look for Me by Wendy Walker .

message 10: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments I’ve read a couple pages of Dune, but it turns out Life and Death is more what I’m in the mood for right now.

message 11: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2020 06:49AM) (new)

Progress:
3. Yesterday I read to pg 255 (from 180) in To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini .
4. Yesterday I finished reading Don't Look for Me by Wendy Walker (from 43%).
5. Yesterday I listened to 25% of The Emerald Sea (The Glittering Court #3) by Richelle Mead .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today I still need to:
1. Read first section (112 pgs) of A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir .
2. Read first section (77 pgs) of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins .
3. Read up to pg 350 (on pg 99) (on pg 255) in To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini .
4. Finish reading Don't Look for Me by Wendy Walker (15% through).
5. Finish listening to The Emerald Sea (The Glittering Court #3) by Richelle Mead (50% through) (75% through).

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Reading Reindeer wrote: "I had 4 to read for Flame Tree Press releases on Tuesday; read 3, so
Currently at 46% of The Raven.

Also Reading Space Opera for SFF September, Books/Bookshop for HOB Challenge, Ho..."

I'm really loving The Expanse series! I'm up to Cibola Burn. Have you watched the show?

message 13: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4073 comments Mod
We have had a really busy weekend! I’m currently listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - book 7. I started it early this morning, realizing it is due tomorrow night and 22 hours long!! In order to finish it by tomorrow night I need to get through about 8 hours today. We have plans so my time will be limited. This should be interesting challenge, wish me luck!

message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "We have had a really busy weekend! I’m currently listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - book 7. I started it early this morning, realizing it is due tomorrow night and 22 hours long!! ..."

Oh boy good luck with that, Andrea! lol.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2663 comments Right now I am reading/listening to Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. I sould finsih it later this morning.

This week I hope to finish:

1. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

2. Always Young and Restless: My Life On and Off America's #1 Daytime Drama by Melody Thomas Scott and Dana L. Davis

3. Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson - Yes, THAT Somewhere in Time, the book that inspired the movie

4. Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris

5. Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12) by Bernard Cornwell

6. To Catch A Thief by David Dodge

7. Jaws The Revenge by Hank Searls

message 16: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments I made it to 60% in Life and Death yesterday and I’d like to finish it today and start Breaking Dawn tomorrow but we’ll see.

message 17: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 89 comments Yesterday - finished Bellewether by Susanna Kearsley
Today - 1/2 through Sidney Chambers and the Persistence of Love (The Grantchester Mysteries #6) by James Runcie

message 18: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

writer... wrote: "Yesterday - finished Bellewether by Susanna Kearsley
Today - 1/2 through Sidney Chambers and the Persistence of Love (The Grantchester Mysteries #6) by James Runcie"

I still need/want to read Susanna Kearsley! Her books have been on my TBR for yearrrrrs.

message 19: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments Made it to 83% in Life and Death today. I might just try finishing it tomorrow instead.

message 20: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1393 comments Checking in before the week starts. I'm on page 223 of Crooked River (177 to go) and at 1:39 of The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life (2:57 to go).

I do find it amusing that I'm over halfway through the book I thought would take me all week, and I'm only a third of the way through the one I thought I might finish over the weekend. But I've also been catching up on several podcasts, so that took a lot of listening time away from the book.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 182 comments I've not seen any of The Expanse, no. In fact, although I was of course aware of the Series (fiction), I'd never read any! Until inspired by SFF180's Space Opera September!

message 22: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments I started another writing project these past few days, so I didn't get any more reading in until today. Read Life and Death for an hour and reached 94%.

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2020 05:00PM) (new)

I had a successful long weekend of reading and then barely read on Tuesday.

Progress:
1. Read first section (112 pgs) of A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir. Read on Monday.
New 1. Read second section (132 pgs) of A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir .
2. Read first section (77 pgs) of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.
New 2. Finish first section (35 pgs left) of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins AND read second section (79 pgs).
3. Read up to pg 350 (on pg 255) in To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini.
New 3. Finish reading To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini (on pg 452).
5. Finish listening to The Emerald Sea (The Glittering Court #3) by Richelle Mead (75% through). Finished on Monday.
I also read and listened to My Squirrel Days by Ellie Kemper and am now listening to Malorie (Bird Box, #2) by Josh Malerman , 60% through. I probably won't start another audiobook this weekend.

message 24: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1393 comments I finished The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life a couple days ago, and I finished Crooked River just tonight.

message 25: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1692 comments Just finished Life and Death.

message 26: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1393 comments Final weekend push. I read 110 pages (49%) of New People and listened to an hour and a half (15%) of The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington. Not a bad week.

message 27: by Connie (new)

Connie | 218 comments Finished up at 11:30 last night with John Grisham's The Guardians. It brought me to my 2020 GR challenge goal of 100. Guess I will be revising my 2020 goal!

1. Auntie Poldi and the Handsome Antonios (Auntie Poldi #3) Mario Giordano ****
2. Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Gray #2) Deanna Reabourn ***
3. A Grave Matter - (Lady Darby #3) Anna Lee Huber - ***
4. The American Agent - (Maisie Dobbs #15) Jacqueline Winspear ***
5. The Moon is Missing - Jenni Ogden ***
6. Tea with the Black Dragon - R.S. MacAvoy ****
7. The Guardians - John Grisham ****

Thanks, Elyse, for the organizing the LaborDay Readathon.

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 14, 2020 08:26AM) (new)

Goals:
1. Read first section (112 pgs) of A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir. Done.
New 1. Read second section (132 pgs) of A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir . Read none.
2. Read first section (77 pgs) of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Read to page 50.
New 2. Finish first section (35 pgs left) of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins AND read second section (79 pgs). Read none.
3. Read up to pg 350 (on pg 255) in To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini. Done.
New 3. Finish reading To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini (on pg 452). Read to page 566.
5. Finish listening to The Emerald Sea (The Glittering Court #3) by Richelle Mead (75% through). Done.
6. Listen to My Squirrel Days by Ellie Kemper. Done.
7. Listen to Malorie (Bird Box, #2) by Josh Malerman. Done.

The Woman in White is not interesting. I watched too much TV last week and did not achieve my 50 pgs a day in To Sleep with a Sea of Stars. Pub day tomorrow! I will be reading all night. lol. Because of TV and trying to read the Paolini, I didn't read the second section of A Reaper at the Gates and thus will try to read 2 sections this week! After finishing the Paolini.

message 29: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1821 comments Mod
The books I have finished in this time period:

Roommaid by Sariah Wilson Roommaid 3 stars
Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston Red, White & Royal Blue 4 stars
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo 4 stars
Verity by Colleen Hoover Verity 3 stars

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.