Ravenmount Book Club discussion

P.G. Wodehouse
This topic is about P.G. Wodehouse
Author of the Month > PG Wodehouse

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 115 comments Mod
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse (15 October 1881 – 14 February 1975) wrote a lot of novels and short stories, ranging from 'school stories' to light crime fiction, but his most well-known books are comedies featuring Jeeves and Wooster, Psmith, and a few other major central characters. Because his novels were published over so many decades, his characters go through the 2 world wars, the Great Depression, the development of the automobile, and all sorts of other historical changes. Many of his main characters are situated in upper class families, but often in precarious financial positions that bring out class issues and attitudes. His books show up on the Boxall 1001 and Guardian 1000 books lists and on many other lists of favorite books, even though in many school systems his books are never assigned reading and they are not always easy to find in public libraries and book stores. Obviously there is something enduring about this author's books that keeps them being read regardless of how much the book industry and educational institutions are interested in them.

Novels: The Pothunters, A Prefect's Uncle, The Gold Bat, William Tell Told Again, The Head of Kay's, Love Among the Chickens, The White Feather, Not George Washington, The Swoop!, Mike, A Gentleman of Leisure, Psmith in the City, The Prince and Betty, The Little Nugget, Psmith, Journalist, Something Fresh, Uneasy Money, Piccadilly Jim, A Damsel in Distress, The Coming of Bill, Jill the Reckless, The Girl on the Boat, The Adventures of Sally, Leave It to Psmith, Bill the Conqueror, Sam the Sudden, The Small Bachelor, Money for Nothing, Summer Lightning, Big Money, If I Were You, Doctor Sally, Hot Water, Heavy Weather, Thank You, Jeeves, Right Ho, Jeeves, The Luck of the Bodkins, Laughing Gas, Summer Moonshine, The Code of the Woosters, Uncle Fred in the Springtime, Quick Service, Money in the Bank, Joy in the Morning, Full Moon, Spring Fever, Uncle Dynamite, The Mating Season, The Old Reliable, Barmy in Wonderland, Pigs Have Wings, Ring for Jeeves, Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit, French Leave, Something Fishy, Cocktail Time, Jeeves in the Offing, Ice in the Bedroom, Service with a Smile, Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves, Frozen Assets, Galahad at Blandings, Company for Henry, Do Butlers Burgle Banks?, A Pelican at Blandings, The Girl in Blue, Much Obliged, Jeeves, Pearls, Girls and Monty Bodkin, Bachelors Anonymous, Aunts Aren't Gentlemen

Short Story Collections: Tales of St. Austin's, The Man Upstairs, The Man with Two Left Feet, My Man Jeeves, Indiscretions of Archie, The Clicking of Cuthbert, The Inimitable Jeeves, Ukridge, Carry On, Jeeves, The Heart of a Goof, Meet Mr Mulliner, Mr Mulliner Speaking, Very Good, Jeeves, Mulliner Nights, Blandings Castle and Elsewhere, Young Men in Spats, Lord Emsworth and Others, Eggs, Beans and Crumpets, Nothing Serious, A Few Quick Ones, Plum Pie

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Sep 05, 2020 02:40AM) (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 115 comments Mod
I started reading Wodehouse because of the books of his listed on the Boxall 1001 list a few years ago. I own none of them, and our library doesn't own any of his books, but they turn up a lot as audiobooks on youtube. The first few were a bit confusing, partly because I was not reading them in order. They can work as stand-alones, but the Jeeves/Wooster series and the Blandings series do have a story arc that carries across all of the books, so that if you dive in near the end you don't know a lot of the references. I have finished a lot more of his books by now, and know the characters a lot better, so they make more sense. I really like some of his earlier books. The Little Nugget is about a plot to kidnap a rather fat, spoiled, obnoxious boy, and its sequel Piccadilly Jim (possibly my favorite Wodehouse book so far) continues the story a few years later. The Psmith series is also entertaining and a nice glimpse of life around the start of WW1.