Read with The PikeCast discussion

PikeCast Book Talk > Episode 1 Book: DIE SOFTLY (Air Date: 10/1)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (last edited Sep 05, 2020 07:55PM) (new)

Cassie Daley (ctrlaltcassie) | 10 comments Mod
Welcome to the discussion thread for our Episode 1 Book: DIE SOFTLY (1991)!

From the synopsis: Herb just wanted to photograph the cheerleaders in the school showers. He planted his camera high in the corner where no one could see it, and rigged it to a special homemade timer. He did that Thursday night, and he hoped that by Friday night he would have an exciting roll of film to develop.

But a girl dies Friday afternoon. On the surface it appears to be nothing more than a tragic car accident. But when Herb finally does collect his roll of film, he develops a picture that shows a shadowy figure sneaking up on the girl who has died - sneaking up on her with a baseball bat. It makes Herb wonder if the girl was dead long before the car accident. But unfortunately for Herb, he doesn't wonder if the murderer knows he took the picture.

If there's something specific you'd like us to mention in the episode, let us know & we may talk about it if time allows!

message 2: by Cooper (new)

Cooper Beckett (coopersbeckett) | 2 comments Mod
HIGH incel energy in this book

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca (astoldbybex) | 6 comments Mod
I'm on chapter five & already HERE for this book.

message 4: by Cassie (new)

Apparently this is ONE OF THE FEW Pike books I never read as a kid?! Just finished it tonight and holy heck!!

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Corriveau | 2 comments Oh, tomorrow is the day! I'm so excited for this podcast and everything you are doing!! I've already listened to the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. Joe Lipsett was an excellent guest and I hope you'll have him on future episodes. I'm terrible at reviews, so don't expect much, but I enjoyed every minute of episode one and can't wait for the next episode! I loved the format, the discussion points, the guest. My one critique would be that sometimes it was hard to hear Becca. I'm sure that's growing pains and can be adjusted in future episodes. Anyway, congrats on your launch and bring on episode two!!!

message 6: by Cassie (new)

Jenny wrote: "Oh, tomorrow is the day! I'm so excited for this podcast and everything you are doing!! I've already listened to the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. Joe Lipsett was an excellent guest and ..."

Thank you so much for this, we're so happy you loved it!! We're so excited for it to go live tomorrow - thank you for the feedback as well! Becca's actually got a new headset for our next recording, so should be great! :D :D

message 7: by Robert (last edited Oct 14, 2020 05:53PM) (new)

Robert (moav5706) | 3 comments I didn't agree with the assessment of Theo being anywhere close to okay. He was just as bad as Herb if not worse. He gets drunk and shoots things, has Herb do his workload at the factory job, and implies Alexa owes Herb sex after Herb bought her McD's. Everyone in this was kind of a trash person.

I think Sammie was the best character overall, but she did seem pretty eager to get those pics of the cheerleaders as well.

The grossest character was the cop when he implied he would like to see the photos too. That's an adult who wanted to see nude pictures of a minor. That is so gross!

I liked this book, but because it was exactly as trashy as I thought it was going to be. How was this marketed towards kids! I'm glad I read Stine in the 5th grade and not this. I don't think you could make a movie with a teen cast of this story and get an R rating.

Also, I laughed that this creep/underdog/sad sack (whatever you want to call him) is over 6 ft. tall and owns a classic Mustang. Oh, how underprivileged!