Read with The PikeCast discussion

General > Introduce Yourselves!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Daley (ctrlaltcassie) | 10 comments Mod
Hi, and welcome to the group!

If you're new here, add a comment letting us know a bit about you! Here are some examples of things we'd love to know, just in case you're stuck on what to post:

What's your favorite Pike book?
What's your least favorite Pike book?
What other books do you enjoy reading?
Where can we find you on social media?

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (astoldbybex) | 6 comments Mod
Hiya! It's me, Becca (or Bex!), one of the co-hosts at The PikeCast! I'm so excited to be here!

I have yet to read a Pike book, so major shout-out to Cassie & Cooper for taking me along on this journey. I can't wait to explore his books, from YA to Adult reads! & I'm beyond excited to be the "fresh perspective!"

For the most part, I read mostly horror; however, I am a sucker for Contemporary YA. I try my best to explore all genres, but there are some that I struggle with (I'm looking at you, High Fantasy).

When I'm not reading or writing, I can be found cross-stitching, baking, playing video games or lazying around with my cats!

Where you can find me:
Blog
Twitter
Bookstagram

I can't wait to get to know everyone that joins the PikeCast community! ♥♥♥ & truly, thank you so much for all of the support you've given us.

message 3: by Cooper (last edited Sep 06, 2020 01:49PM) (new)

Cooper Beckett (coopersbeckett) | 2 comments Mod
I'm Cooper Beckett, a LONG time Pike fan. He was one of my first introductions to more adult horror beyond the Point series, and definitely early introductions to the kind of sex and violence that runs through his work. My first and most well loved Pike book is Whisper of Death, and honestly the rest sort of blend together. I know I read at least half of them, but it's a blur, so it's really exciting to go back to them 30 years on.

I'm a horror reader (mainly King), viewer, and writer, my books Osgood As Gone and Osgood Riddance take their cover style from Christopher Pike, and I think they share a lot of emotional kinship as well.

Where you can find me:
Osgood Website
Author Website
Twitter (warning, politics and sex)
Instagram

I cant wait to talk to my amazing cohosts and you all about Christopher Pike!

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Corriveau | 2 comments Hi! I am so excited for your Pike Cast! I am a life long Pike fan, having started at the beginning with Slumber Party back in 1985. I've read everything (except The Spooksville Series) he's written at least twice. Most of his books I've read about 10 times, and several I've read upwards of 25 times. I read at least one Pike book a year. My favorites are Remember Me, Chain Letter, Last Act, Final Friends and Falling. Least favorite, yeeeeh.... probably some of the adult stuff, The Blind Mirror and The Cold One.

While Pike is my absolute favorite, I love to read and read most genres. I love young adult, mystery, urban fantasy, sci-fi, horror.... I have upwards of 3000 books in my collection and you can find almost every genre in my library. I actually have all of my young adult books from the 80s and 90s with the Point Horror being a large part of my collection.

Twitter: @JennyCorriveau1
Instagra: @jennywoodcorriveau

I can't wait to take this journey with you all!

message 5: by Becca (new)

Jenny wrote: "Hi! I am so excited for your Pike Cast! I am a life long Pike fan, having started at the beginning with Slumber Party back in 1985. I've read everything (except The Spooksville Series) he's written..."

Hi Jenny!

I love how much you love Pike and am so excited to have you joining us on this adventure! Also, would 100% love to see pictures of your Point Horror collection someday!

message 6: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 1 comments Hey y'all! I'm Adrian from big bad Texas (yes, I know we have some crazies here, please don't judge all of us).

First thing, THANK YOU for doing this podcast! I'm so stoked. And let me tell you, I rarely listen to podcasts, but I am here for this. Good job on the first episode.

I've loved Pike since I was a teen and his books are the reason I fell in love with reading. He couldn't write books fast enough for me. I think I own all but 3 of his teen/YA and adult books, but none of his middle grade. I've read some of his MG, but didn't keep them on my shelf.
My absolute favorite books of his is "Season of Passage", which legit blew my mind. I guess my least favorite would be "Falling", but only bc I was expecting something else. Still a good book though.

These days I mostly read fantasy and try to stick to adult, but enjoy some YA too. My TBR is perpetually out of control, but I'll try my best to read along with y'all! :)

message 7: by Cassie (last edited Sep 11, 2020 07:35PM) (new)

Cassie Daley (ctrlaltcassie) | 10 comments Mod
I am LOVING reading all these introductions, omg! I have to admit that I didn't know anyone else that loved or even knew of Pike growing up, so meeting so many people - and getting to do this podcast in general - is SO amazing for me!!

I've been a fan of Christopher Pike since the fifth grade! I read his books and found myself spoiled a bit, since nothing else in the 'teen genre' range really compared to how 'adult' the books felt. I read his actual adult books later, and loved those, too!

My favorites: Road to Nowhere, The Starlight Crystal, Whisper of Death, Fall Into Darkness, and Monster. I also really love The Immortal, and credit that book to my lifelong dream of visiting Greece, haha.

I'm SO EXCITED to be doing this podcast with Becca & Cooper, and am really excited to get to know some fellow fans!! :D

My social media:

Blog: https://letsgetgalactic.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ctrlaltcassie
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/holo.reader/

message 8: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 1 comments I’m new to horror. I only started reading horror in the last year or so. I’ve read about 4 Christopher Pike books and my favorite one so far was Bury Me Deep. Otherwise I read a lot of YA contemporary. I tend to concentrate on #ownvoices, Asian, and BIPOC books with the occasional thriller, mystery, or romance thrown in. I love books about witches and rereading books from my childhood and teen years. I still haven’t been able to get into fantasy as many times as I’ve tried. I like fast moving plot over character studies. I’m a voracious reader and mainly read audiobooks.

I’m mostly active on Goodreads but you can also find me at:

Instagram @irishmoxie27 it’s a bookstagram
Twitter @pomsky27

Bernadine Barber (berniebee06) | 1 comments Hi all! I'm Bernadine. I'm new to reading horror. This is my first Pike. I'm excited to be here.

Find me on Twitter @BernieBee06 (but it's usually just me bitching about life and nothing interesting...)

message 10: by Becca (new)

Kristin wrote: "I’m new to horror. I only started reading horror in the last year or so. I’ve read about 4 Christopher Pike books and my favorite one so far was Bury Me Deep. Otherwise I read a lot of YA contempor..."

Hi Kristen! I, too, read a lot of YA Contemporary/#OwnVoices! & 100% agree with not being able to get into Fantasy. It's definitely hit or miss for me!

message 11: by Becca (new)

Bernadine Barber wrote: "Hi all! I'm Bernadine. I'm new to reading horror. This is my first Pike. I'm excited to be here.

Find me on Twitter @BernieBee06 (but it's usually just me bitching about life and nothing interest..."

Welcome Bernadine! Can't wait to read Pike with you!

message 12: by Becca (new)

Adrian wrote: "Hey y'all! I'm Adrian from big bad Texas (yes, I know we have some crazies here, please don't judge all of us).

First thing, THANK YOU for doing this podcast! I'm so stoked. And let me tell you, ..."

Hello Adrian! So glad you're here & that you're giving us a listen! & don't worry, my TBR is ALWAYS out of control, haha.

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam  | 2 comments Hi everyone! I'm Pam - I'm a teen librarian in a public library, and I've been reading horror since I was a kid. I jumped into Pike at an impressionable age (I shared my Pike shelf on Twitter but it's really more of a Diane Hoh and other Point book shelf) and have never looked back. I read a little bit of everything now, but horror still holds a good chunk of my heart.

I am currently working on my Great Stephen King Project - finishing off those last 20 or so books that I never made it through, and also watching all the adaptations. When I saw this podcast come across my Twitter feed, I thought "Why not add the challenge of reading all of Pike as well?" It is definitely harder to get ahold of many Pike books than it is King books!

I'm mostly on Twitter.

message 14: by shortstuff (new)

shortstuff | 1 comments Greetings Fellow Pike Lovers!

I have been reading Christopher Pike since elementary school and basically waiting my entire life for a group like this: #teamawesomesauce

I believe I've read 90 percent of his offerings multiple times. I recently revisited them since we've been experiencing "Life Inside" and I have been amazed at how much I can still relate to his stories. So, once again...when life is hard and confusing: Christopher Pike to the rescue.

I am an avid lover of horror movies ( I saw The Exorcist at 5 and never looked back!) or really an opportunity for an allegorical tale. I always tell folks that my favorite genres of moves are:

1. Horror
2. Disney (Classics, Marvel, and Pixar)
3. Documentaries

As far as I'm concerned: Horror and Disney are simply two different ways to tell the exact same stories!

Similarly, Christopher Pike always had a point of view and a life lesson seamlessly intertwined in some of the most batsh*t stories ever.

Some of my faves are:

1. Monster
2. The Midnight Club
3. Remember Me
4. Final Friends
5. The Last Vampire

But..who am I kidding ??? I LOVE THEM ALL! I wish we could post pics: I have a Halloween Shrine including his books.

I did recently create a Halloween themed IG: backonmybooshyt

I will share it there.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert (moav5706) | 3 comments My name is Robert E. Schwent Jr.

I have never read a Pike book. The teen pulp I read was R. L. Stine and some Freddy and Jason tie ins. I never pulled the trigger on Pike until I saw this podcast advertised.

Stine, those other books, and old TV were a gateway to authors like Robert Bloch & H. P. Lovecraft. I really like the Hard Case Crime stories and old horror/thrillers from the 40-60s. I will occasionally listen to a Stephen King audio book.

I also enjoy splatterpunk era short stories and even get into some bizzaro fiction.

I tend to go through at least a couple TPB comics or graphic novels weekly as well.

I'm probably only going to read the 1st few Pike books or the ones that have been covered by other similar podcasts.

You can find me on social media. I know you can! You're so smart!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathytrithardt) | 2 comments Hey everyone!
I'm a Canadian BookTuber who grew up reading all of Christopher Pike's books starting on the 6th grade, and just recently got back into them. I just posted a Christopher Pike Book Haul if you want to check out which titles I was able to find.
My favourite book of his growing up was Remember Me, and I am very excited to reread that series in particular.

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) Hi, I'm Carrie! I'm so excited to find an active Pike group on GR! I'm also loving how so many of us started reading Pike at ridiculously early ages. 😂 I was around ten when I got a bunch of his books at a garage sale, and I never looked back.

I can never pick a favorite anything, but The Last Vampire, Sati, See You Later, and The Midnight Club are all really special to me (and I'm beyond psyched that Mike Flanagan will be adapting that last one). It's been at least ten years since I've read some of my least favorites, but I read Execution of Innocence for the first time last year, and... it's not his best. I have bad feelings about Die Softly too. (I didn't listen to the podcast yet, sorry! I tend to tune audio right out after a few minutes, but I'll try. <3)

I read mostly YA, horror, and urban fantasy, but I'll pick up anything that sounds interesting. I'm an active book blogger with too many fandoms to count, and I watch more than the recommended dose of television and scary movies. I can't wait to chat with everyone about Pike!

Tumblr: https://brightbeautifulthings.tumblr....
StoryGraph: https://beta.thestorygraph.com/profil...

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathytrithardt) | 2 comments i just reread The Midnight Club and am really interested to see what they do with the adaptation.

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) I'm in love with pretty much everything Mike Flanagan has done. One of my favorite horror directors adapting one of my favorite horror writers meant a lot of fangirl screeching. I think he'll bring a lot to the story and still manage to keep the spirit of it intact.

message 20: by Muted (new)

Muted | 1 comments Hi fellow Pike fans! I have been a die hard Pike fan since 7th grade. His books had a huge impact on my teenage life. Some of my favorites are Monster, Witch, Final Friends, Fall into Darkness, but I really loved them all. I have started listening to the Pikecast and I love it! I totally want to be part of the conversation!!! I am going slow because I want to reread the books and unfortunately I don’t own them all anymore, but I’m slowly building back up.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna | 1 comments Hey everyone! I'm a little late to the party, but I've been a fan since around age 10, and have read most of his books multiple times. My favorites are remember me, the last vampire, and Sati. Hoping that you'll consider doing Sati on the podcast even though it's adult and not horror.
I just finished the first 2 podcast episodes, and I think it's great so far! I'm reading along, so it'll take me some time to catch up.

message 22: by Alysia (last edited Mar 16, 2021 02:57PM) (new)

Alysia Townsend | 1 comments Hi, old head here, I'm in my mid-forties and was introduced to Christopher Pike via a tween sibling when I was a teenager 30 years ago. Been reading him ever since. Have read most of the YA and Season of Passage but still haven't digested the whole catalogue. Standouts for me are Last Vampire, Monster, Final Friends, Spellbound...least favorites...not sure. I like them all just some less than others. Just found the podcast and listened to intro episode. I am psyched! I am currently raising 5 horror fans and live in middle America with my spouse and some pet reptiles.

On Twitter: @DrATownsend
On Instagram: attownsend96

message 23: by Angelica (new)

Angelica Pola | 1 comments Hello everyone! My name's Angélica and I'm really happy that I found this podcast (fun fact: I'm currently listening to the first episode right now) because I'm a huge fan of the thirst series—and I know I'm a little late because I've only discovered Christopher Pike's books in 2014 (I was in 7th grade then) and I fell in love. I'm currently reading the Thirst series because I found them in a booksale near my house and I immediately got hyped that it made me search through Pike's other works. I'm just happy that there are people who share the same enthusiasm as I do with his books! ❤️

message 24: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Banbury | 1 comments Hi Everyone,

I’m Ruth from the UK, I found Christopher Pike back in the 1990’s when I was about 12. The 1st book I bought was Remember Me and I was hooked from there on in. I had most of his collection but over the years I lost a few/ lent them out etc

Then a couple of weeks ago a book freecycle group in my town had been given a large amount of Pike books, I nabbed them all to rebuild my collection and even found some I’d not read!

I then in turn found your podcast and tuned in. You guys are awesome !

Just finishing up re reading Harry Potter and the Pike books are next in my reading stack, I can’t wait to revisit them after so many years.

message 25: by Dana (new)

Dana | 1 comments Hi! I’m so happy this group exists. When I was younger, everyone was into R.L. Stine, which I could not get into! I discovered Christopher Pike when I was in 6th grade. The first book I read by him was Last Act. Remember Me was my favorite as a teen. I just got a box of all my old books from my parents this summer, so I’ve been reading them and listening to the corresponding podcast episode after. So glad to know there are other Pike fans out there!!

All of my social handles are TooFast4Love

message 26: by BabaWaga (new)

BabaWaga | 2 comments Good Morning, finally joining this Goodread's group as have been avidly listening to and catching up on the Pikecast podcast these last couple of months. It's brought back so much nostalgia and vivid memories of being in my early teens in the 90's and being utterly mesmerised by Christopher Pike. I'm from the UK, a born-and-bred Londoner so to read Pike's books and immerse myself in the teenage world 'across the pond' was extremely addictive; everything seemed so much more glamorous and magnified compared to my little London suburban existence. My top 3 Pike novels (extremely hard to decide) are probably Whisper of Death, Monster, and the Final Friends trilogy -although Immortal and Bury Me Deep did directly inspire me to travel to various Greek islands and to honeymoon in Hawaii respectively!

Some of my peers and ESPECIALLY my parents thought Pike was trashy and I remember the dismay on the latter's faces when I had bought yet another novel on a weekend shopping trip....I had a few good friends who caught the Pike bug though and we stuck hard in our belief that this was a YA writer who really was unafraid to tell it like it should be told! Gritty, sexy, gory but also spiritual, insightful, compassionate about the teenage and in fact human condition.

Thrilled to meet all the Pike lovers and members of this group and I will be following with interest....Warmest regards to all, Babawaga

message 27: by BabaWaga (new)

BabaWaga | 2 comments Anna wrote: "Hey everyone! I'm a little late to the party, but I've been a fan since around age 10, and have read most of his books multiple times. My favorites are remember me, the last vampire, and Sati. Hopi..."

Hi Anna, yes I hope they do an episode on Sati too, as it was so unusual to come across a YA dealing with God and religion and the pluralities of the former...I remember giving it to our Chaplain at secondary school to read as he was also our Philosophy teacher, a bold move since he was a man of the cloth but I had a feeling he would appreciate this novel!