Teen Writers discussion

Are You An Outliner or Discovery Writer?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Let's have a debate! Do you write and come up with ideas as you go, or do you like to outline what you are writing first?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I try to outline so that the book is kinda organised but sometimes I go with the flow. You?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so glad you joineeeed Amodini! I used to just go with the flow, but it ended up not working for the current novel that I am writing. I eventually wrote a chapter by chapter outline for my book, now up to 28 chapters. (In fact, I started this novel today, after extensive outlining!) I'm really excited to see how it'll work out, because it's the first time I've ever tried this!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Outlining is actually quite better and easy but sometimes I think writing and getting ideas along the way is my style. I actually tried to build up a basic idea for my novel but the rest I wrote along the way. It depends on the writer, I think.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

What genre is your novel?

message 6: by Ivi Hope (new)

Ivi Hope (ivihope) | 30 comments I normally have a basic plan in my head of where the stories going to go, but it gets changed a lot.
(Like adding magic in the middle of my story. XD)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ivi Hope wrote: "I normally have a basic plan in my head of where the stories going to go, but it gets changed a lot.
(Like adding magic in the middle of my story. XD)"

Me too! I start with a rough plan but then I abandon it and find something new. I never made it past 10 chapter XD

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Amodini wrote: "What genre is your novel?"

sci-fi fantasy YA. What about you?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ivi Hope wrote: "I normally have a basic plan in my head of where the stories going to go, but it gets changed a lot.
(Like adding magic in the middle of my story. XD)"

awesomeeee I did that with my novella.

message 10: by Ivi Hope (new)

Ivi Hope (ivihope) | 30 comments Ooh fun. XD

geoflame || inactive :( (ummmmmmmmmmm) | 4 comments i'm a discovery writer, which is fun except for the fact that writer's block hits hard

geoflame || inactive :( (ummmmmmmmmmm) | 4 comments i'm trying to outline more but i haven't had a chance to use the outlines just bc i haven't had time to write

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, same. With school starting its terribly hard to find time to write. I have been working on my chill novella thing, but EVEN THOUGH I OUTLINED IT I'm getting writer's block on my main project. Like I need my money back on the outline y'all. I spent months on it.

message 14: by tay (new)

tay (taylor reads) (taylorangelina) I'm definitely an outliner. I would be so stressed if I didn't lol.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

:)) tayloooooor I didn't know you were a writer!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

@geoflame yeah, I haven't had much time to write either

message 17: by tay (new)

tay (taylor reads) (taylorangelina) yesss i’ve been trying to write a book for a while actually😂

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool! What's it about? Or what genre is it in? (I'm saying or because for me it's IMPOSSIBLE to explain the plot of my damn book)

message 19: by tay (new)

tay (taylor reads) (taylorangelina) it’s fantasy! yeah i cannot explain the plot either it’s confusing at the i moment😂😂

message 20: by Saura (new)

Saura | 3 comments Hey everyone! My name is Saura and I am new here. In planning my book, I'm kind of a mix of both the techniques. I know how my book starts and ends, and I also know plan some notable event in the middle, and then I just start writing.

message 21: by Saura (new)

Saura | 3 comments Nikki wrote: "Cool! What's it about? Or what genre is it in? (I'm saying or because for me it's IMPOSSIBLE to explain the plot of my damn book)"

I can never explain plots either. Last time I tried to do so, the people who I was explaining to ended up completely confused 😅

message 22: by Ivi Hope (new)

Ivi Hope (ivihope) | 30 comments Saura wrote: "Hey everyone! My name is Saura and I am new here. In planning my book, I'm kind of a mix of both the techniques. I know how my book starts and ends, and I also know plan some notable event in the m..."

Hi Saura! (Btw that's a very pretty name) I do that too sometimes. You don't lose complete track of what's happening in your book, but you have room to add new things too.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Same!! I remember trying to explain it to my neighbor (we are good friends) and it did take a solid 20 minutes to tell her my book. I started out telling her a chronological plot in 5 minutes, then I talked about random scenes, personality traits of characters... list goes on

message 24: by kylee, (new)

kylee,  (allmyfriends_arefictional) Sometimes I have an outline for school writing but mostly I throw up things on the paper an call it writing

✨ f i o n a ✨ | 7 comments I outline school papers and stuff like that but when I'm just writing my books i come up with it on the spot.