Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Evan Thompson
This topic is about Evan Thompson
Questions > Author missing photo

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karyna (new)

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 17255 comments Need an acceptable source. We can't just put anything up.

message 3: by Karyna (new)

Karyna (aeromantics) | 4 comments What qualifies as an acceptable source? This looks like his official blog: https://evanthompson.me/

His photograph there is also on his Amazon Author Page.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 17255 comments It has to explicitly state that it can be used by others.

message 5: by Karyna (new)

Karyna (aeromantics) | 4 comments I see. Thank you!

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23236 comments From the section on the edit page re author photos:

"Copyright is important!
So before you upload an image, make sure that either:

* You own the rights to the image (usually meaning that you created the image yourself)
* You can prove that the copyright holder has licensed the image under a free license
* You can prove that the image is in the public domain
* You believe, and state, a fair use rationale for the specific use of the image that you intend "

In addition, the Moderator has said in the past that living people (authors) should generally be the ones to add their photos themselves. Perhaps you could approach the author and suggest they add a photo :)

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23236 comments Author photos are very tricky because of copyright.

message 8: by Karyna (new)

Karyna (aeromantics) | 4 comments Ah, that explains why a lot of authors don't have a picture. Thanks for elaborating on that.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Sandra wrote: "the Moderator has said in the past that living people (authors) should generally be the ones to add their photos themselves."

What I have said many times is that it is uncommon for photos of living (or recently deceased) people to be available as public domain images. And that if they are giving permission to use their photo, we need to hear it from them directly.