The Sword and Laser discussion

The Ten Thousand Doors of January
This topic is about The Ten Thousand Doors of January
Ten Thousand Doors of January > TTDJ: Escapism at it's finest

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) "There’s only one way to run away from your own story, and that’s to sneak into someone else’s."

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) in the Middle of a pandemic and political unrest in the united states at least. I think this is exactly what the S&L members at this time. good pick veronica! what do you guys think are you enjoying entering another story running away from a awful 2020?

William | 404 comments I read this during the spring. Where I was there was a pretty serious lockdown for three months. For three months I was pretty much stuck inside my flat with no garden or balcony.

This book really spoke to me!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments When RBG's death was announced, the same day of the death of a former colleague, I was feeling like I could pretty much only handle living in a book for a few hours. I didn't pick this one up because I only had the audio, but I crammed down a mindless romance novel. It did the trick. Thank goodness for literature.

Helen (hmmeade) | 5 comments Like an ancient worn coat, this book is familiar and warm. Its plot is not surprising, but deeply satisfying. Wrapped within is a passion for books, words, letters - the curving swoop of a "P," the jagged cut of a "V." In the center of it all are embedded the rock hard pain and powerlessness of not belonging, of racism and sexism - an invisible cage January finds herself fighting to escape. It is timely and sweet. It is hard and fantastic. A lovely read.

Clyde (wishamc) | 413 comments Helen wrote: "Like an ancient worn coat, this book is familiar and warm. Its plot is not surprising, but deeply satisfying. Wrapped within is a passion for books, words, letters - the curving swoop of a "P," the the jagged cut of a "V." In the center of it all are embedded the rock hard pain and powerlessness of not belonging, of racism and sexism - an invisible cage January finds herself fighting to escape. It is timely and sweet. It is hard and fantastic. A lovely read."

Nice.