4A Hyclak English 10 (SY 20-21) discussion

What are you noticing about the writing in your book?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hyclak (new)

Hyclak Hyclak | 2 comments Mod
In my choice book Red Queen, the author, Victoria Aveyard, is using a lot of appositive phrases to add description of people and places. In the first chapter, the main character is walking through the town pickpocketing unsuspecting villagers. Aveyard sets up the scene using commas to set off the descriptive phrases: "Down the street, at the crossing of Mill and Marcher roads, the crowd thickens and more villagers join the current. A gang of kids, little thieves in training, flutters through the fray with sticking, searching fingers" (3). By utilizing the appositive structure, Aveyard details the setting first by explaining the main character is looking at an intersection of two roads. By adding the fact that the main character is at a crossing, the reader can infer that there is an increased amount of traffic, making it easier for the main character to pickpocket. In the next sentence, Aveyard again uses an appositive to describe the "kids" as "little thieves in training," which illustrates to the reader that stealing is a way of life in this community that kids have to learn from an early age in order to survive. In these two sentences, the reader is given short phrases of description that really define the world being created and the rules by which the characters have to live.

message 2: by Mathhew (new)

Mathhew Ball | 2 comments In my choice book “All american boys” the author kinda sounds like it’s a teen and that he is telling the story about his friend.im keep also seeing how the teen in the book talks to his dad a lot more then he talks to his mom. which is weird because he hates his dad. This teen in the book also seems to be undergoing a lot of stress.m

message 3: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Remer | 2 comments In my choice book "Looking for Alaska" by John Green I have noticed how the author tries to relate the book to teens going through the same things. Also I have noticed how in love Miles is becoming for Alaska.

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 2 comments In my choice book "The Lost" the author Natasha Preston writes the book with a lot of dialogue because the book is based around the characters thought, conversations and actions. She describes the setting with lots of details because the whole book is based around that one setting with different events that happen within that setting. She also has a lot of characterization within the book to show what the characters are learning and how they grow throughout the book because of that. The characters in the book are all teenagers and so the dialogue and word choice is also based around that. I've also noticed that she likes to put cliffhangers at the end of some of the chapters to make you want to read the next chapter.

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 2 comments In my choice book "The Hive" the author's are telling the story from a teen perspective. They often use language that sounds like an adult from time to time, but also includes the teen aspect of writing. They author's way of writing convey's a feeling like you're constantly on the edge.

message 6: by Sean (last edited Sep 10, 2020 02:15PM) (new)

Sean Mercer | 3 comments In my choice book "Quarantine: The Loners" the author tells a story from a teen's perspective. The language it uses are of a high schooler that went through a lot while writing down on his journal. The author writes it in a way that makes you feel scared of the school itself and worried for the main protagonist.

message 7: by Christian (new)

Christian Broadstone | 2 comments In my choice book "Inferno" the author uses description very well, you can easily imagine anything he is describing in the book clearly.
Dan Brown also uses appositives very well i have noticed.

message 8: by Aidan (new)

Aidan (aidan_lewis) | 2 comments In my book 'The Cabin' the author describes the tension between the characters over and over again to give us and idea that some of the character REALLY don't like each other.

message 9: by Jj (new)

Jj Martin | 1 comments In my choice book, " Girl, Stolen" author April Henry, uses different types of text to show the different characters and there tones. The different types of text also show tension between the different characters and there demeanor's.

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Chagas | 2 comments In my choice book called "Cinder, the Lunar Chronicles" by Marissa Meyer, I notice that most of the writing foreshadows about what could happen in the future. It shows that each character in the book, have different personalities and how much each character is to one another.

message 11: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Spurlock (jeffreyspurlock) | 2 comments In my choice book "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King, what I have noticed with the writing is that its made to develop the characters and places and keep them mysterious to the reader for now at least.

message 12: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Weiher | 2 comments In my book The selection by kiera cass I noticed the writing had a lot of description and characteristics. The author uses a ton of characteristics to describe how one is viewed in the eyes of the main character, America singer. Kiera cass also describes how they act and what their life is like. Kiera makes sure to give specific descriptions on how America singers life is and the people around her.

message 13: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Crowe | 1 comments What's being displayed in the book is 1) The story is taken place in somewhat of modern time and 2) That there are only a few people that rule the planet.

message 14: by Madison (new)

Madison | 2 comments In "looking for Alaska" there is a lot of imagery. The main character Miles just moved to a new school in a new state. He just recently met some new friends and they took him out to the lake behind the school. He was describing it as clear water and he kept going on about the trees too. He said he never has seen water that blue.

message 15: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Kendle | 2 comments In "Mig Pilot" there is actually a lack of description and dialogue. I think the author has done this intentionally to keep the pace of the book moving fairly fast. This sense of haste fits in with the life that the main character lives and helps put the reader in his shoes.

message 16: by Zaid (new)

Zaid Graoui | 2 comments In my book "boy 21"there is lots of imagery with words like a lot of sentences that I can sort of imagine in my head as a photo or video, something that I also noticed that tends to happen a lot actually is the the boy in the story always talks about himself negatively but talks so highly about the people around him in the book.

message 17: by Chase (new)

Chase Fuller | 2 comments In my book "In Cold Blood" the author uses foreshadowing in the first chapter to sort of warn the reader of the shotgun homicide, ''At the time not a soul in sleeping Holcomb heard them - four shotgun blasts that, all told, ended six human lives"(Capote 5). And this type of foreshadowing is a trend throughout my reading.

message 18: by Trevor (last edited Sep 14, 2020 04:47PM) (new)

Trevor Cranfill | 2 comments In my choice book "Can't hurt me" by David Goggins the book takes place in New York during the authors childhood. I believe he does this to show how he was treated as a child and that he still became successful after being abused.

message 19: by Youlyisseiss'S (new)

Youlyisseiss'S | 2 comments In the book I'm reading, "I am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore, the book has its main character John, to be an alien, the authors writing style reflects how John is trying to hide by not being distinct or flamboyant as well, this reflects how the character is supposed to dismiss a lot of his powers since he needs to hide from the Magladorians since he is Loric, and he is the descendant of a Garde. Writing style has not a very distinct tone.

message 20: by Sean (new)

Sean Mercer | 3 comments In my book "Quarantine: The Loners" the author, Lex Thomas, writes down mostly conversations, things that lead to another incident, like a journal. He writes it down in third person, so you get to see everything happening from your own perspective.