Schlafly Global Book Discussion Group discussion

Bright
This topic is about Bright
September 2020 - Bright

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Z. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Z. F. (zee_eff) The Global Book Club's first post-Travis title is Bright by Thai novelist Duanwad Pimwana, a book which claims the distinction of being the first novel by a Thai woman ever translated into English. Hopefully Travis's abandonment won't inspire the rest of the group to follow suit.

We'll meet virtually to discuss Bright on Thursday, September 24 at 7 pm. Here's the Google Meet link:

https://meet.google.com/aau-zqbz-xdq

I look forward to seeing you all again!

message 2: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments Zack, we're grateful you're willing to take on this added task, and look forward to the Sept 24 discussion.
I hope to get to SC to pick up a copy of "Bright" this coming week.

message 3: by Z. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Z. F. (zee_eff) Just a reminder to everyone that we'll be meeting to discuss Bright this Thursday (9/24) at 7 pm! It's a very fast read, so even if you haven't started yet you should have no trouble finishing in time.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7 comments Hey Zach, this has nothing to do with Travis’s departure or you stepping up but I decided to take a break from two book club meetings a month. See you in October! (PS I finally got Google Meets to recognize my camera so I’ll be more fully participatory next time👍🏻)

message 5: by Z. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Z. F. (zee_eff) Kathy wrote: "Hey Zach, this has nothing to do with Travis’s departure or you stepping up but I decided to take a break from two book club meetings a month. See you in October! (PS I finally got Google Meets to ..."

Kathy - Certainly can't blame you for trimming down the monthly required reading. See you next month!

Lloyd Klinedinst (lloydk) | 6 comments Regrets that I will miss tomorrow evening's discussion...will be on the road, but my notes are at https://klinedinst.com/Bright.html ... and I look forward to any followup notes or recording, if taken... enjoy!

message 7: by Z. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Z. F. (zee_eff) Lloyd wrote: "Regrets that I will miss tomorrow evening's discussion...will be on the road, but my notes are at https://klinedinst.com/Bright.html ... and I look forward to any followup notes or recording, if ta..."

We'll miss your input, Lloyd! Thanks for the notes!

message 8: by Z. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Z. F. (zee_eff) With my other book club I usually post discussion questions so that everyone can refer to them during the conversation or see them later if they miss the actual meeting. Here are my questions for "Bright":

1) How would you describe the structure of this book? Is “Bright” a novel, a short story collection, or something else entirely?

2) Why do you think Pimwana decided to focus on Kampol as a POV character, specifically? What does his perspective add to the events of the book?

3) What specific chapters stood out to you? Why?

4) Which of the many characters did like most or find most interesting? Why?

5) Overall, how would you describe the mood of this book? Was it funny, sad, feel-good…?

6) Did this book teach you anything about Thai life or culture? Have you ever read any other Thai literature?

7) What did you make of the final story, “Kampol Goes to Heaven”? Did you interpret it literally or is something else going on?

8) What are some of the major themes or messages of this book?

9) What parallels did you note between “Bright” and other books you’ve read, either in this book club or on your own?

10) Would you recommend “Bright”? Would you read another book by Pimwana if it was available?

See you in a few hours!

message 9: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments Thanks for posting the questions, Zack -- they always help me clarify my thought, even when they intimidate me! Also found Lloyd's notes interesting. See you soon!

message 10: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments Kathy wrote: "Hey Zach, this has nothing to do with Travis’s departure or you stepping up but I decided to take a break from two book club meetings a month. See you in October! (PS I finally got Google Meets to ..."

Oh foo! You will be missed tonight, Kathy, but I totally get needing a break. I didn't start Bright until yesterday, and just finished it this afternoon; needed a breather after The Good Lord Bird.
See you next month!