CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2020 > w/o September 4 to 10, 2020

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3530 comments Mod
Oops... delinquent again. Still on holidays and have been keeping busy canning and preparing for back to school!

What has everyone been reading? What is next?

Is September a time for more reading or for less time sitting still?

Have a great long weekend!

message 2: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) This week, I finished the final book in Ali Smith's seasonal quartet: Summer. I liked it but not as much as I was hoping too.

Now I'm reading a pretty good historical mystery: The Murder of Harriet Monckton. Hoping for a good weekend of reading before my workload explodes next week.

Happy holiday weekend to all

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments Happy weekend!

This week I finished my fourth Booker longlist read: This Mournable Body. I struggled with this one a bit but I'm glad I read it. I know very little about Zimbabwe's history and it might have helped to know more to understand some of the dynamics in the novel.

I also read Sweet Sorrow, a charming and a little sad coming-of-age novel that revolves around an amateur theatre production of Romeo and Juliet. I like David Nicholls' writing, and this was a fun, easy read.

I'm currently reading The Vanishing Half, which I am enjoying very much.

Looking forward to the Giller longlist next week!

message 4: by Petra (new)

Petra | 651 comments Happy Weekend!
This week I finished My Lobotomy: A Memoir and Dear Committee Members. Both were very good in different ways.

I'm still listening to and enjoying Lost in a Good Book. This series makes for good audiobooks. Easy to listen to, quirky and fun. Makes my runs much more enjoyable.

I'm now reading The Colony: The Harrowing True Story of the Exiles of Molokai and am about to start LaRose.

I also added quite a number of books to my TBR list due to Storyheart's list of new Canadian books being released soon. There are a number of wonderful sounding stories listed and the library is getting quite a number of them. I've got a lot to look forward to as they start coming in.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments This week I finished The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper, which I thought was an important book, at least conceptually. Some of it was a bit dry, but it certainly had me feeling thankful for how far society has come since the Victorian period.

I just finished Girl, Woman, Other and I’m really not sure how to rate it. It’s well-crafted, but there were things about the book that I just didn’t enjoy.

message 6: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Happy Long Weekend!

This week I finished Normal People and The Pull of the Stars, the former I hated and the latter I loved!! Normal People was just so depressing to read as the characters were so miserable and I found myself not wanting to go on. Whereas The Pull of the Stars was set in a tragic part of history, but I found myself thinking how much resiliency the characters had and enjoyed spending time with them.
Currently reading Shadows in Time and listening to Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin.

message 7: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3530 comments Mod
Hi all,

the summer has gone so fast!! This week, I finished Hamnet (thank you AlisonHikes for this recommendation) and really enjoyed it. I also finished Black Like Me which was a slow read for me and another book with a white male sharing the experience of people of colour. I think the book would have had a bigger impact decades ago and we have seen many great books writing by people of colour since. for a lighter read, I read The Guest List, it was not great literature but a quick mystery with a setting that reminded me of And Then There are None.

I am now reading Rabbit Foot Bill and Halfbreed but am back to work so my reading time will be diminished after being off for the last 2 weeks.

I hope all are safe and that those with children have a smooth couple of weeks with the transition back to school!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments So glad you enjoyed Hamnet @Susan. It was such a pleasant surprise for me too.