Play Book Tag discussion

Anxious People
This topic is about Anxious People
September 2020: Psychological > [Poll Ballot] Anxious People by Fredrik Backman - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3869 comments Anxious People by Fredrik Backman - 4 stars - My Review

The plot of this book sounds outlandish: the worst bank-robber ever accidentally takes hostages and finds out they are the worst hostages ever. A father and son, who work together in law enforcement, try to figure out what happened to the bank robber, who has mysteriously disappeared. Truly, though, the topic is conveyed in its title – it is about anxious people, and also about depressed people, suicidal people, and those that think they are not “good enough” or worthy of being loved. It is hard to explain this book without spoilers. It is like a big puzzle that is gradually assembled, all coming together at the end.

Backman takes serious topics and examines them through the lens of an absurd situation. It is a very unusual mix of elements, but somehow, he pulls it off. The characters are quirky, each expressing one or more insecurities. Backman uses humor to illuminate human frailties. I felt empathy for these people. I chuckled a number of times at the author’s wry observations on our society. It is off the beaten path, clever, creative, and insightful.

I obtained an advance reader’s copy from the publisher, Atria Books, via NetGalley. It is due to be published September 8, 2020.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Very nice review I am definitely picking up this book. :-)

d.

Joy D | 3869 comments Thanks, David. I think his fans are going to enjoy this one.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5568 comments I really like Backman's books and I haven't read anything of his since the Beartown books. I know he has personal experience with depression and/or anxiety, and maybe that gives him deeper insights. I'm really looking forward to it.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Joy D wrote: "Thanks, David. I think his fans are going to enjoy this one."

I've only read the most popular one so far A Man Called Ov and really loved it. I have the one with Grandmother in the title on deck but the one you reviewed sounds more interesting. :-0

d.

Joy D | 3869 comments NancyJ wrote: "I really like Backman's books and I haven't read anything of his since the Beartown books. I know he has personal experience with depression and/or anxiety, and maybe that gives him deeper insights..."

I am sure his personal experience plays into this book. There are suicide prevention resources listed at the end so it seems targeted to try to help people.

Joy D | 3869 comments David wrote: "I've only read the most popular one so far A Man Called Ov and really loved it. I have the one with Grandmother in the t..."

I've read Ove, the Beartown books, and this one. They are all well crafted, so I am likely to read more of his works.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8846 comments I enjoyed the grandmother one fabulously. David you might like it too. Good for you forgetting anxious people done. You are one of the first!

Joy D | 3869 comments Amy wrote: "I enjoyed the grandmother one fabulously. David you might like it too. Good for you forgetting anxious people done. You are one of the first!"
Yes, I was surprised to be approved for an advance reader's copy. Surprised since this author is very popular.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8846 comments Joy, we have read so similarly this year! I would love to see how we line up by the end of it! You have been more my twin than anyone else this year!

Joy D | 3869 comments We will have to compare reading lists at the end of the year. :-)