Historical Romance Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
57 views
Gaol/Nominations > Nominations for November, 2020 - Huge Families

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
For the month of November, 2020, we will be reading HRs that feature HUGE FAMILIES.

Rules of Nominations :
Not more than 2 nominations per member.
No book we have read as a group read in the last 2 yrs. (Please check the group's Bookshelf)
No author we have read in the last one year.
We will follow the 'In thread voting with point system'. Details will follow

Lists:
Didn't find any so far, but I believe most of the long series come under this trope.

Nominations end on 15th September, 2020.


message 2: by Priya (last edited Sep 04, 2020 07:30AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Authors not eligible for November, 2020 Group reads.

Ivory Lei - October, 2020
Lisa Kleypas - October, 2020
Anna Campbell - September 2020
Beverly Jenkins - September 2020
Sherry Thomas - August 2020
Elizabeth Hoyt - August 2020
Mary Balogh - July 2020
Meredith Duran - July 2020
Suzanne Enoch - June 2020
Anne Mallory - June 2020
Julie Garwood - May, 2020
Lorraine Heath - May, 2020
Judith Ivory - April 2020
Gaelen Foley - April 2020
Elizabeth Rolls - April 2020
Mary Jo Putney - March 2020
Caroline Linden - March 2020
Teresa Medeiros - February 2020
Amanda Quick - February 2020
Sabrina Jeffries - January, 2020
Eloisa James - December, 2019
Kerrigan Byrne - November, 2019


message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments I'll nominate the classic Georgette Heyer, Arabella. One of her best books IMO.
Arabella by Georgette Heyer

Arabella's large family of siblings plus mum and dad, living in the slightly impoverished old vicarage, is absolutely delightful. The secondary characters are drawn so well and realistically, it's like this wonderful family really exists somewhere outside historical romancelandia.

Of course, there's also the lovely romance between the young, naive but feisty Arabella and the rich, charming but somewhat world-weary Mr Beaumaris.

Like all of Heyer's books, this is a clean read, for those who prefer that. But the romance and the characters are so charming it just carries you along. I'd be happy to reread this one as a group read.

I'll have to have a think about my second nom. I like this trope. Hmm, let's see......


message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Darbella wrote: "I would like to nominate an old school mild bodice ripper as my first nomination. It is The Raider The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert, #9) by Jude DeverauxJude Deveraux

I think I am going to go ..."


I think I've only read one HR written by a man, partially, so intrigued by that...the series title makes me think of the Seven Brides for Seven Brothers musical, which I love. Wonder if it was any inspiration or not.


message 5: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "I'll nominate the classic Georgette Heyer, Arabella. One of her best books IMO.
Arabella by Georgette Heyer

Arabella's large family of siblings plus mum and dad, living in the sligh..."


I like this trope too, but I'm not sure what I would want to nominate.


message 6: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 657 comments How many family members are we starting at to be called huge ?


message 7: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Shaz wrote: "How many family members are we starting at to be called huge ?"

I don't know. I was wondering that too. I think extended family should count and if there is a big family feel, that family is featured as an important part of the hero and/or heroin's life, then that would meet the definition for me.


message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "For my second nom, I would like to nominate one of the Mackenzies and McBrides series by Jennifer Ashley. I've only read #1, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, which was a good read,..."

My personal favorites are books 3 & 6 -- besides Ian's book of course. But I like them all, and that's partly due to the family feel and atmosphere created by the series.

Book 2 was the BOTM about 3 years ago, so it qualifies, but just an FYI that I think it is the only one in the series that has been a BOTM. The read did kick off a series reread/continuation for me though, so I'm not complaining, lol. I love this series overall.


message 9: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Ok, I'm just going to do it. Someone is going to!

I nominate The Duke and I by Julia Quinn. The start of the iconic Bridgerton series. It's not my favorite, but I think it's got some great discussion potential and I would like to read as a group. Also, the Netflix series is supposed to air in the coming season (maybe November), and it supposedly will have a focus on this book's story line. So, I would likely be rereading it again for that reason.


message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Shaz wrote: "How many family members are we starting at to be called huge ?"

I don't know. I was wondering that too. I think extended family should count and if there is a big family feel, that family is featured as an important part of the hero and/or heroin's life, then that would meet the definition for me."


I agree, Joanna. In Arabella, for example, there's about 6 or 8 siblings, but they form a big part of Arabella's life, especially in the earlier part of the book. The Mackenzies and McBrides series seems to have a big extended family (although I'm not totally sure cos I've only read one book lol).

I would imagine a minimum or five or six kids or close extended family members to meet the trope? I agree, they should be featured in some way and not just a background mentioned in passing as in 'I've got lots of brothers and sisters that I never see'. For me, that wouldn't meet the spirit of this trope.


message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "My personal favorites are books 3 & 6 -- besides Ian's book of course. But I like them all, and that's partly due to the family feel and atmosphere created by the series.

Book 2 was the BOTM about 3 years ago, so it qualifies, but just an FYI that I think it is the only one in the series that has been a BOTM. The read did kick off a series reread/continuation for me though, so I'm not complaining, lol. I love this series overall.."


Thanks for the info, Joanna. I didn't know it had been a BOTM previously. I will change my nom.


message 12: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments My second nomination is now going to be The Many Sins of Lord Cameron by Jennifer Ashley.

The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) by Jennifer Ashley


message 13: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Shaz wrote: "How many family members are we starting at to be called huge ?"

I don't know. I was wondering that too. I think extended family should count and if there ..."


Yea they do, and they seem to just adopt family too.

I would note as maybe reason for picking the 3rd book over the second is that the heroine's family is quite large also, and some of her brothers go on to be heroes in their own books. They are the McBride's portion of the Mackenzies and McBride's series.

But the Mackenzies have 4 main brothers, a half brother and nephew, so six at the end of book 1. Then they just add extended family as they go.


message 14: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "My second nomination is now going to be The Many Sins of Lord Cameron by Jennifer Ashley.

The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) by Jennifer Ashley"


Oh lol, I was typing when you posted this.


message 15: by Jan (last edited Sep 04, 2020 03:46PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Ok, I'm just going to do it. Someone is going to!

I nominate The Duke and I by Julia Quinn. The start of the iconic Bridgerton series. It's not my favorite, but I think it's got some great discussion potential and I would like to read as a group. Also, the Netflix series is supposed to air in the coming season (maybe November), and it supposedly will have a focus on this book's story line. So, I would likely be rereading it again for that reason. "


Ha ha yes. I thought of the Bridgertons, but TBH I assumed Julia Quinn would be in the list of recent no-go authors and I didn't even look to check, LOL.

Everyone and his dog has read them, but you're right, I think it would spark some interesting discussion. And yes, timely with the Netflix series coming up.

I quite liked but didn't love The Duke and I. It wasn't my fav of the series. If it wins, I would probably join the (re)read. I just finally finished the series actually, and somewhat to my disappointment, found the final book (On the way to the wedding) the weakest of the lot.


message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Jan wrote: "My second nomination is now going to be The Many Sins of Lord Cameron by Jennifer Ashley.

The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) by Jennifer Ashley"

Oh lol, I was typing when y..."


Ha ha. Looks like it's a suitable nom then.


message 17: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 657 comments I would like to nominate Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey and The Lady in Question by Victoria Alexander


Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 324 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Ok, I'm just going to do it. Someone is going to!

I nominate The Duke and I by Julia Quinn. The start of the iconic Bridgerton series. It's not my favorite, but I thin..."


Ha! I was thinking of them too!


message 19: by Missy (new)

Missy | 948 comments Oh, great nom, Shaz! The Malory-Andersons are a huge family!


Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 324 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Jan wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Shaz wrote: "How many family members are we starting at to be called huge ?"

I don't know. I was wondering that too. I think extended family should count a..."


I do need to read book #2. The only one I've read is book #1. I would definitely vote for this one too


message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Mamacita wrote: "I do need to read book #2. The only one I've read is book #1. I would definitely vote for this one too "

Oops I've changed my nom to #3 cos apparently #2 has already been a BOTM. I need to read #2 as well. Oh well, I'll get to #2 some time, I guess.


message 22: by Padma (last edited Sep 04, 2020 09:46PM) (new)

Padma | 218 comments The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn
my first nomination


message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Padma wrote: "The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn
my first nomination"


Joanna has already nominated this one (see message #10 above) so you can choose something else if you want.


message 24: by Padma (new)

Padma | 218 comments Ok sure


message 25: by Padma (new)

Padma | 218 comments First nomination - The cynsters
Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) by Stephanie Laurens
Second nomination - The byrons of braebourne
Tempted by His Kiss (The Byrons of Braebourne, #1) by Tracy Anne Warren


message 26: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 657 comments Thanks Missy. I loved reading the Mallory series. The Cynster series has a lot of books, have read quite a lot of them, and still have some more on
My bookshelf to read.


message 27: by Cath (new)

Cath | 277 comments Darbella wrote: "Here is his story:

https://www.leigh-greenwood.com/page/..."


Oh I love this guy and his story! I was smiling so much about him and his wife and daughter and then bam! that was a bit of heartbreak for me when I read about his divorce :( But he sounds great, what a sense of humor; now I'm definitely going to have to try one of his books sometime soon..

Thanks for sharing, Darbella!


message 28: by Mamacita aka MawMaw (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:03AM) (new)

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 324 comments Jan wrote: "Mamacita wrote: "I do need to read book #2. The only one I've read is book #1. I would definitely vote for this one too "

Oops I've changed my nom to #3 cos apparently #2 has already been a BOTM. ..."


If it's one of the 2 chosen for Nov, maybe we can BR this one next month.


message 29: by ☘Katie☘ (new)

☘Katie☘ | 36 comments I'd like to nominate:

1st: Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #1) by Julia Quinn
The first book in the Bridgertons prequel series

2nd: Another Chance to Dream (de Piaget, #1; de Piaget/MacLeod, #5) by Lynn Kurland
The first book in the de Piaget series


message 30: by Jultri (new)

Jultri | 402 comments My first nomination is True Story thanks to Jan's and OLT's glowing reviews, plus I'm currently reading my first one by the author and really enjoying her prose and wit. The hero is scandalously divorced with 8 children.

So a mother with four children, I gather, forms a 'big' but not 'huge' family, right? Hmm... still pondering my second choice.


message 31: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments Jultri wrote: "My first nomination is True Story thanks to Jan's and OLT's glowing reviews, plus I'm currently reading my first one by the author and really enjoying her prose and wit. The hero is scandalously divorced with 8 children.

So a mother with four children, I gather, forms a 'big' but not 'huge' family, right? Hmm... still pondering my second choice. "


Great choice, Julia. I just read True Story and really liked it. My first book by this author and I'm keen to read more. There is certainly a huge and fascinating family.

A mother with four children? I'm not sure that qualifies as 'huge', unless there are close extended family members as well, perhaps?


message 32: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "Jultri wrote: "My first nomination is True Story thanks to Jan's and OLT's glowing reviews, plus I'm currently reading my first one by the author and really enjoying her prose and wit. The hero is ..."

Yea, she’s been on TBR for a long time, multiple books of hers are.

I wish she had audio for some but I don’t think she does...not accomplishing much reading as it is at the moment.


message 33: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Cath wrote: "Darbella wrote: "Here is his story:

https://www.leigh-greenwood.com/page/..."

Oh I love this guy and his story! I was smiling so much about him and his wife and daughter and then bam! that was a ..."


Yeah! That is a great story, definitely perked my interest. Thanks for sharing Darbella.


message 34: by Jultri (new)

Jultri | 402 comments Okay, A Secret Love will be my second nomination. A Cynster book definitely will satisfy this trope. I five-starred this book many years ago so I am curious to see if it will stand the test of time.


message 35: by Patti (new)

Patti | 57 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Ok, I'm just going to do it. Someone is going to!

I nominate The Duke and I by Julia Quinn. The start of the iconic Bridgerton series. It's not my favorite, but I thin..."


I agree with this one! I was going to say, is there any other choice besides one of the Bridgerton novels? LOL

I also have been intending to re-read the series in anticipation of the Netflix show, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, so this would definitely spur me on.


message 37: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
I posted the voting thread here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'll plan to send a message to all members tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.