LPL YA Virtual Book Club discussion

9/20 There's Someone Inside... > Topic 4: Makani's Dark Past

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lafayette Public Library Reads (lafayettepubliclibraryreads) | 182 comments Mod
Did you have any ideas about what Makani might have done to get her sent to live with her grandmother before she revealed what happened? Do you think her shame is justified or was she just reacting to a bad situation? How do you feel about what Makani did to her friend that night? Hazing, as a whole, is looked down upon, yet it still appears in books and other media. Do you think things like this actually happen in real life?

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 14 comments I thought her dark past was going to be much darker. Something like she witnessed a murder or was a suspect. She was definitely reacting to the situation. She hadn't gone in with a plan, it happened. She can feel guilt about how she treated her friend, but her friend hadn't been much of a good friend before that night. Makani should not consider herself an evil or dangerous person because she cut her friends ponytail off. Makani should also not feel guilty that her "friend" walked into the ocean, drunk, and nearly drowned. That could have easily happened to any of the other girls with how much they were drinking and how they were being treated. I think hazing like this does actually happen in real life. As years pass people look back on it nostalgically, which is why it appears in media the way it does.

message 3: by Lacey (new)

Lacey (libqueen10) | 29 comments Michelle wrote: "I thought her dark past was going to be much darker. Something like she witnessed a murder or was a suspect. She was definitely reacting to the situation. She hadn't gone in with a plan, it happene..."

I agree with you Michelle. Based on the continued references about Makani's dark, secret past, I was imagining it being something more terrible such as a murder or cover up of a murder. Not to downplay what happened during the hazing incident, but I was surprised when I learned of what Makani was so haunted by. Her feelings of guilt and regret about what happened just further shows the reader and her friends what a good heart she actually has since she is truly remorseful.

I've never experienced hazing before, but I can see how it's so easy for teens and young adults to fall prey to it. It's natural for a human being to want to fit in, and sometimes people get put into a situation such as this where they feel they don't have a choice. Although hazing is more openly frowned upon today, it still takes place on many college campuses.

message 4: by Katelin (new)

Katelin | 32 comments I did think it would be more dramatic, but all the references to how bad it was make sense when you remember it's coming from Makani's point of view. She feels massive amounts of guilt and shame over what she did. I do wonder if hazing is a real problem. I can't say I've ever experienced it or heard anything about it outside of books and television.