Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2021] Poll 11 Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 04, 2020 04:50AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7017 comments Mod
In our most voted in poll so far this year, we have two winners!

A book by an author on USA Today's list of 100 Black Novelists You Should Read
A cross genre novel

Bottom
A book closely related to what you wanted to be as a kid (job, status, etc.)
A book with a sports connection

Close Call
A book posted in one of the ATY Best Book of the Month threads
A book that might cause someone to react “You read what?!?”

The next suggestions thread will open tomorrow, Saturday, September 4 around 8 AM CST.

Listopias:
A book by an author on USA Today's list of 100 Black Novelists You Should Read
A cross genre novel

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 108 comments Yaaay cross genre!! 👏

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 925 comments The two I really wanted were the close calls. I would like to encourage resubmitting those!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments I voted for both of the winners, so I’m happy they were picked. There were a lot of others I wanted to make it also, so I hope some of them get resubmitted in future polls.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 18 comments It would have been exciting to read a book that might have caused someone to react with, "You read what?!". Maybe it'll be resubmitted?

message 6: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments I had eight upvotes this poll so I was hoping for lots of results. I'm thrilled about the two that did make the list, however.

message 7: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1636 comments I up voted the winners and the close calls. I hope the close calls make it in another round.

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1703 comments I voted for both the winners and the close calls. I'm a bit disappointed that we keep only getting one or two winners, but at least I like the prompts!

Didn't we have a special close calls poll last year? Do you think we might do something similar this year? I can't remember the circumstances around it.

message 9: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Ellie, the reason we did that last year was because we had quite a few close calls that would have won if they were in different polls (just comparing votes across the board).

We haven't discussed as a mod team if we were going to have another round of that this year, but we probably wouldn't decide until we get to poll 15 or 16. It really depends on how our numbers look at that point and how many close calls we have on the list that haven't been resubmitted and made it in (like cross genre!)

message 10: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1759 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "The two I really wanted were the close calls. I would like to encourage resubmitting those!"

Yes, me too!

message 11: by Alicia (last edited Sep 04, 2020 06:22AM) (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 723 comments My only downvote made it in, cross genre. I felt that it was a bit of a freebie, as there are so many options. I’ll need to go back to the discussion and review the Listopia to see what works to make it a bit tougher.

Really disappointed that you read WHAT?!?? didn’t make it. I also enjoy writing WHAT?!?!? in all caps, so I hope this gets resubmitted.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sj | 271 comments Alicia wrote: "My only downvote made it in, cross genre. I felt that it was a bit of a freebie, as there are so many options. I’ll need to go back to the discussion and review the Listopia to see what works to ma..."

Maybe for the cross genre you could narrow it down to a book where one genre is something you read a lot of, and the other is something you rarely read (ex for me: historical romance, I read historical fiction all the time, and almost never read romance).

message 13: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments I only voted for one of the tops (black authors), but I like cross genre so that is fine.

So sad that "you read WHAT?!?!?" didn't make it. Maybe next time!

message 14: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments awww I love the two winning categories, but I was also hoping for "you read WHAT?!" to win.

message 15: by dalex (last edited Sep 04, 2020 07:09AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Alicia wrote: "My only downvote made it in, cross genre. I felt that it was a bit of a freebie, as there are so many options. I’ll need to go back to the discussion and review the Listopia to see what works to make it a bit tougher."

In my opinion, something like historical mystery or historical fantasy is easy because, while they do technically combine genres, they're kind of their own genre.

More difficult is when a book unexpectedly combines two things. For example, The Girl in Red is both a fairy tale retelling and an apocalyptic novel, The Mere Wife is a contemporary novel but is also mythic fiction, and The Gone World is a crime thriller and a time travel novel.

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 953 comments I am disappointed you read WHAT?! didn't get in so I hope it's resubmitted.

I too didn't vote for cross genre but I'll easily find something that fits. Mexican Gothic is the first I thought of that is on my TBR list.

message 17: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1703 comments Most the genre prompts we manage to vote in are very flexible, but I don't feel like it's a complete freebie. There are definitely some genres that seem to cross over more than others but if it's too "easy" you could try and find elements of at least three genres.

message 18: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 626 comments Ellie wrote:Didn't we have a special close calls poll last year? Do you think we might do something similar this year? I can't remember the circumstances around it. "

I liked that last year!

message 19: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 464 comments I wish the you read what?!? book also made it! But happy it was a close call and I think it'd do well if it was resubmitted, but maybe waiting a round or two. It seems like one issue with it was readers needing to think beyond how the book makes themselves feel, to how their friends or coworkers may respond to it, or just in general targeted vs. non-targeted audiences. It doesn't have to make YOU go "what?!?!"

For the cross-genre, it really does feel like a freebie, and I know there's ways to make it harder, but I wish the prompt was just good as is. I don't know where to cut off genres... like is young adult a genre? Then almost every young adult book would have a second genre... romance, fantasy, dystopian... Same with literary or contemporary or historical fiction. Every one of these really has some other genre.. there's a romance or a mystery or a drama. I swear almost every sci-fi book is also a thriller...

message 20: by Alicia (last edited Sep 04, 2020 07:42AM) (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 723 comments Maybe it is because I read a lot of fantasy, historical fiction and sci-fi/dystopian, so these genres always seem to be intersecting with others. I’d say a significant portion of my TBR is cross-genre.

It'll probably be the free space that I leave till the end when I have a book I really want to read but have filled up the other categories.

message 21: by Edie (last edited Sep 04, 2020 07:43AM) (new)

Edie | 826 comments Of our two winners, I have lots of TBR and read books on the Black Authors listopia. I have not a single book as TBR or read on the cross genre list. I can't say any of the books on the cross genre list excite me. Hopefully as others add to the list I will find something of interest.

I am really disappointed that we get only two prompts from a list that had so many great options.

message 22: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments FYI at least three books from the Black Novelists list are currently available on kindle for less than $5 - Sugar by Bernice L. McFadden, The Street by Ann Petry, and The Women of Brewster Place by Gloria Naylor.

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 913 comments I didn't vote for the black authors, but pleased it got through, as I have had Kindred waiting to be read for a very long time. I did vote for cross genre, so pleased about that as well. Just wish we were getting more top results

message 24: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1636 comments I read some historical fiction and mystery but neither are my go to genre. I really enjoyed the historical mystery that I read this year so I’m planning on using that for the cross genre.

I like that the cross genre can be as easy or as hard as you want it.

message 25: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Avery wrote: "I don't know where to cut off genres... like is young adult a genre?"

I would call young adult a classification not a genre. Like middle grade, young adult, new adult, adult, etc.

message 26: by Angie (new)

Angie | 804 comments I was hoping for more top results, but I am happy with the two that won. I'm legit excited about cross-genre book. I'm a big fan of paranormal mysteries and historical mysteries, so it will be fun to pick a book. The list will be easy enough. I have several of the authors on my TBR list.

Both of the bottom results were downvotes for me, so I'm relieved about those.

message 27: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1703 comments What dalex said. A YA mystery would not be crossover (unless it turned out vampires did it 😊).

I feel for something to be really cross-genre it has to have strong elements of both genres. Like you'd struggle to work out where to shelve it in a bookshop. I wouldn't say the presence of a romance in a book makes it a romance genre book for example.

message 28: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 953 comments Jill wrote: "I didn't vote for the black authors, but pleased it got through, as I have had Kindred waiting to be read for a very long time. I did vote for cross genre, so pleased about that as wel..."

Oh you're in for a treat, Kindred is SO good. I'm going to read Parable of the Sower also by Butler.

message 29: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 825 comments In my opinion, putting a bunch of close calls in the same poll just decreases the chances of each of them getting in, because they are being pitted against each other. If there’s one you like, resubmit it in a regular poll, and spread them out! That’s what I did with cross genre!

message 30: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2524 comments Nancy wrote: "Jill wrote: "I didn't vote for the black authors, but pleased it got through, as I have had Kindred waiting to be read for a very long time. I did vote for cross genre, so pleased abou..."

Parable of the Sower could also be used for cross-genre (Sci-Fi/Fantasy).

Edie wrote: "I have not a single book as TBR or read on the cross genre list. I can't say any of the books on the cross genre..."

Edie - There are lots of historical mystery series you could read - like Matthew Shardlake (Henry VIII era) by C.J. Sansom, Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear and Flavia de Luce by Alan Bradley. Also, there are interesting options with a sci-fi mix (e.g. Plum Rains (one of my personal favorites), The Yiddish Policemen's Union, and The Man in the High Castle).

message 31: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 953 comments Pam wrote: "Parable of the Sower could also be used for cross-genre (Sci-Fi/Fantasy)."

I'm going to read Mexican Gothic for that (historical horror), but thanks for the suggestion!

message 32: by Beth (last edited Sep 04, 2020 09:51AM) (new)

Beth | 325 comments I really like the black novelists list so glad that one is in the top. I'm finding the cross-genre a bit more difficult but will probably go for a historical mystery. I read and enjoyed The Confessions of Frannie Langton earlier this year which would fall into that category. I kind of wish it wasn't limited to novels though. Looking through my TBR I have a lot of true crime memoirs which would have worked well.

message 33: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

The Alienist is a great cross-genre where the historical aspect plays a huge role, but it's definitely a murder mystery.

message 34: by Edie (last edited Sep 04, 2020 12:21PM) (new)

Edie | 826 comments Pam wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Jill wrote: "I didn't vote for the black authors, but pleased it got through, as I have had Kindred waiting to be read for a very long time. I did vote for cross genre, s..."

Thanks Pam, I loved Jacqueline Winspear's The Care and Management of Lies which is not a Maisie Dobbs book, so maybe it is time to try those.

message 35: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (absinthereader) | 11 comments I almost always downvote list prompts without looking into them, since a lot of them are focused on literary fiction. So I wasn't that excited when I saw it on the list, but thankfully there seems to be several SFF books on the Listopia.

message 36: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Stefanie wrote: "I almost always downvote list prompts without looking into them, since a lot of them are focused on literary fiction. So I wasn't that excited when I saw it on the list, but thankfully there seems to be several SFF books on the Listopia."

The authors on the list cover pretty much all genres - literary fiction, historical fiction, world literature, romance, mystery, short stories, sci-fi, fantasy, vintage & classic lit, non-fiction, poetry, plays, graphic novels.

message 37: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 439 comments I did well this week. I upvoted four- two made it and two were close calls. And one of the downvotes was one of mine also. Like many people I hope “you read what” makes it through eventually and doesn’t suffer the same fate as “beauty brains and brawn” last year”.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I don't even know where to start with the cross-genre book. It feels way too broad to me since most of the books on my TBR are tagged as multiple genres on Goodreads. I looked at the listopia and not much there really interested me either, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Glad the Black authors list made it, that was one of my top votes. I'm probably going to use it as an excuse to try Talia Hibbert's Chloe Brown series!

message 39: by annie (new)

annie (annie_gr) | 307 comments Avery wrote: "For the cross-genre, it really does feel like a freebie, and I know there's ways to make it harder, but I wish the prompt was just good as is. I don't know where to cut off genres... like is young adult a genre? Then almost every young adult book would have a second genre... romance, fantasy, dystopian... Same with literary or contemporary or historical fiction. Every one of these really has some other genre.. there's a romance or a mystery or a drama. I swear almost every sci-fi book is also a thriller..."

young adult is an age range for marketing purposes, not a genre. otherwise the same logic could be applied to literally all fiction. "its not fantasy, it's an adult fantasy". i wouldn't call that cross-genre, personally. it's more for books like Soulless, which is historical fiction but also a romance and also paranormal/fantasy.

message 40: by annie (new)

annie (annie_gr) | 307 comments so thrilled the Black novelists list made it through! i need to read some alyssa cole but i have so many other authors i'm keen to pick up from the list. it'll be a struggle to just choose one!

message 41: by annie (new)

annie (annie_gr) | 307 comments if anyone else likes historical fantasy, i have a massive shelf of nearly 100 titles here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

i can't add them all to the listopia so i thought i'd drop it here

message 42: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Sep 04, 2020 10:05PM) (new)

Robin P | 1759 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I don't even know where to start with the cross-genre book. It feels way too broad to me since most of the books on my TBR are tagged as multiple genres on Goodreads. I looked at the listopia and n..."

That's a good point - who says what genre a book is? Some readers on GR classify things in weird ways, also some publishers do. I read historical mystery and historical romance ALL the time, more than modern ones, so that's super easy for me, and that's why I didn't vote for it (though I don't mind it). I also like historical fantasy, such as by Guy Gavriel Kay, where it is based on a historical period but has some fantasy elements.

Kindred, mentioned above as a novel by a black author, which it is , is also a crossover, as it combines historical fiction with sci-fi/time travel.

message 43: by annie (new)

annie (annie_gr) | 307 comments Robin P wrote: "That's a good point - who says what genre a book is? Some readers on GR classify things in weird ways, also some publishers do. I read historical mystery and historical romance ALL the time, more than modern ones, so that's super easy for me, and that's why I didn't vote for it (though I don't mind it). I also like historical fantasy, such as by Guy Gavriel Kay, where it is based on a historical period but has some fantasy elements."

i only discovered how much i love historical fantasy this year so i'm excited to have a prompt where i know i can read something like that! but i might try and stretch myself to try some new genres & cross-genres. depends on my mood at the time haha

message 44: by Irene (last edited Sep 05, 2020 03:02AM) (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 385 comments I'm not very excited by the cross genre prompt, even though I think I might have upvoted it, because I realized that 90% of what I read could probably be considered cross genre, like historical romance, historical fantasy, contemporary romance, historical mystery, etc. So it'll be a freebie for me (which I'm fine with!)

message 45: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments I love the cross-genre prompt!!

I think there should be a distinction between a sub-genre (like historical romance) and cross-genre (like a steampunk paranormal murder-mystery romance). That may be why I don't see this as a broad category.

message 46: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmyers) | 494 comments Just saw this about Olivia Butler, who died in 2006. https://lithub.com/octavia-butler-has...

message 47: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1703 comments Honestly I think people just have really differing opinions in what counts as cross genre, which explains the varying enthusiasm. Like when I have added historical fantasy, it's ones with a realistic setting based on historical events, but with a fantasy element, which is not the same as say Game of Thrones which is just epic fantasy (which takes elements of history to make its own universe).

message 48: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Nadine wrote: "I think there should be a distinction between a sub-genre (like historical romance) and cross-genre (like a steampunk paranormal murder-mystery romance)."

I agree. Things like historical mystery or historical fantasy do technically combine genres but really they're kind of their own genre. I guess that type of book is a KIS options where a book that is monster horror/erotica/post apocalyptic would be a BIO option.

message 49: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 953 comments Nadine wrote: "I think there should be a distinction between a sub-genre (like historical romance) and cross-genre (like a steampunk paranormal murder-mystery romance). That may..."

Yes, agreed. I don't consider suspense thrillers to be cross genre, there aren't many thrillers that aren't also suspense. Same for sci fi and fantasy, though I'd give that a little more leeway. I guess those could be used for KIS, but I would want more of actual cross genres.

message 50: by Irene (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 385 comments I see what you guys mean! I was going by how the person who suggested the prompt worded it. She said, "A cross genre novel (scifi horror, fantasy romance, historical mystery etc)," so I took that literally to mean a fantasy romance or historical mystery would count. I think what you all are saying about having the ones that are kinda their own genre already being a KIS option - that would definitely make me like the prompt more.

« previous 1