What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 80s or 90s teen fiction about rivalry between teenage sisters, one named Kelly. One sister is self conscious about breast size

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments I read this book around 1996 and it seemed contemporary at the time. Not sure if it was British, American or possibly Australian.

It was about two teenage sisters who did not get along. One sister was called Kelly. There may have been alternating chapters from each sister's perspective to show both sides of their arguments.

A random detail I remember is that one sister was flat chested but the other had bigger breasts. The flat chested sister was unhappy with her body and jealous that her sister had a different body shape. I remember she compared her breast size to tennis balls. It may have turned out that the other sister did not like having a larger chest (showing that the grass is always greener, etc).

That's about all I remember. Not sure if the author was male or female but I think they wrote several other YA books. I also remember the book having a black cover. Any help appreciated.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments What They Don't Know?

Just going off the name. I found other books about pairs of sisters with one Kelly, but they were on the younger side.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments Thanks for the suggestion, rainbowheart, but I don't recognise this book. It looks like a mystery story, the book I'm looking for is more of a general fiction book. Definitely aimed at teens, I think the sisters were aged about 14-17.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments The Lump in the Middle?

One sister is Kelsey, not Kelly.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments This looks like a strong possibility, rainbowheart - I will check it out.

Thanks for your help!

message 6: by Kris (last edited Sep 26, 2020 11:55AM) (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Google Books only has a snippet search of The Lump in the Middle by C.S. Adler - Rainbowheart's suggestion. You might get lucky searching for keywords you remember (e.g., there is a character named Kelly):

https://books.google.com/books?id=ny3... There are different cover images.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments Fingers crossed!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments So I looked at The Lump in the Middle online and while I have definitely read it before and it's similar to the book I posted about - I don't think this is the one. Thanks anyway Rainbowheart. I'm pretty sure the book i am looking for only had 2 sisters and was aimed at a slightly older age group.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments No worries. I'll keep looking!