Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Memoir > Book review - untamed by Glennon Doyle

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devangana (new)

Devangana | 8 comments Book review ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Untamed by Glenon Doyle, a powerful, brutal and fearlessly intimate memoir. A kind of memoir that shakes our very foundations. It’s a much needed and essential discourse, stories like hers should be written and read many times over.

Untamed is described as a feminist narrative. It is not. It is written by a woman. It’s a narrative about acquired learning, behaviour and identity, which concerns us all. It is a narrative about conditioning-unconditioning, learning-unlearning, social, cultural and religious constructs, patriarchy, stereotyping, unique and fluid identities, discrimination, feelings, expectations, responsibilities, parenting, mental illness, love, happiness, belonging, freedom, empathy, self-discovery and so much more that makes-up ‘life’.

Glennon Doyle’s writing is raw, vulnerable and unafraid. It’s her detailed story, her life mantras freeing her from society’s cages. I felt some of her methods did not apply to me, because my story, my journey, my country, my culture and my family are different from hers. There were also times when I found her narrative to be a bit preachy, since our paths and goals maybe completely different. Nevertheless, it shook the ground beneath my feet and made me realise how very conditioned I continue to be, even though I think otherwise. She’s forced me to introspect and taught me a thing or two about parenting.

Glennon Doyle is now, on my list of people, I admire, for her level of awareness and for conquering difficulties, for writing such a bold memoir, exposing her insecurities and weaknesses, which she continues to work on everyday.
Favourite quote
“The braver I am, the luckier I get.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEizVRDpH...

message 2: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Swan (penelopekahlerswan) | 191 comments Excellent review, Devangana. I will now to to Amazon and purchase the book.

message 3: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Swan (penelopekahlerswan) | 191 comments Devangana, Your review took me into a story I know well. So, I fear, do many of us. You, obviously did, or do now. I rushed to find the book on Amazon; read the shared page, and was disappointed. A wild cat lost to herself because she is trapped in a zoo was just too obvious a starting point for me. I did not buy the book. I do look forward to your next review.