Self Published Fantasy Month discussion

Read-Along Introduction > Introduction

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Welcome, everyone! We're so glad you decided to join us for the first-ever Self-Published Fantasy Month Read-Along! As I'm sure you all know, this year we're featuring The Thief Who Pulled On Trouble's Braids by Michael McClung, the winner of the first SPFBO competition.

Our first official discussion will begin on Monday, September 7th, where there will be a bunch of topics for us to discuss, but first, let's get to know each other.

Tell everyone a little about yourself. Are you just getting into self-published fantasy, or are you a seasoned veteran? Do you have a blog/vlog/bookstagram/podcast/etc. that you'd like everyone to know about? And because we all need this in our lives, it's predictive text time!

"The Thief Who"...

Let's have a laugh and celebrate what this event is all about – this fantastic community.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter (goodreadscompeter_hutchinson) | 6 comments This is going to be one brilliant read-along! I have never read this before! I consider myself a bit of a veteran when it comes to self published fantasy and you can find reviews of a few I have read on my blog at theswordsmith36.wordpress.com

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter (goodreadscompeter_hutchinson) | 6 comments Let me see as well "The Thief who blew up the item he was stealing"

message 4: by Sibil (new)

Sibil | 2 comments I am really a bad person, and I admit it here. I have started the book the first of September because I was really really excited, and I wanted to start with the right foot. The problem is that... I couldn't put it down and I have finished it. In one sitting. Sorry, not sorry!
But I would comment anyway!

And I am not a newbie newbie with self-published and indie, but I am not a veteran either. I discovered them when I started blogging (and with high and low I am doing this since some years) and every year I discover some masterpiece between them.

As for the predictive text... here is what I got!
"The Thief Who Pulled The Trigger Was A Great Review"

message 5: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Sep 04, 2020 04:17AM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 1 comments Hello all! My name's Rebecca and I've always loved fantasy. The first self-published fantasy I reviewed on Goodreads was Evensong by Krista Walsh that I re-read as my first read for Self-Published Fantasy Month. I've read/reviewed a couple more since!

I review books here on goodreads and write on my blog, Velvet Opus.

message 6: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Peter wrote: "This is going to be one brilliant read-along! I have never read this before! I consider myself a bit of a veteran when it comes to self published fantasy and you can find reviews of a few I have re..."

So glad to have you here, Peter!

message 7: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Sibil wrote: "I am really a bad person, and I admit it here. I have started the book the first of September because I was really really excited, and I wanted to start with the right foot. The problem is that... ..."

Such a terrible, terrible person, Sibil! =) Thrilled to have you joining in, and I'm excited to hear what you thought of the book!

message 8: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Rebecca | Velvet Opus wrote: "Hello all! My name's Rebecca and I've always loved fantasy. The first self-published fantasy I reviewed on Goodreads was Evensong by Krista Walsh that I re-read as my first read for Self-Published ..."

Welcome, Rebecca! So glad you're joining us =)

message 9: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Hi, all! I'm Justine, and I'm the owner and operator of Whispers & Wonder and Co-Manager at Storytellers On Tour with my partner in crime Queen Terrible Timy. My love of indie fantasy began just a few short years ago, but at this point my reading diet consists of about 90% indie/self-pub fantasy books. I was a judge in last year's SPFBO, which was a whirlwind of an experience – if you haven't yet checked out that competition, you really should. I'm neither responsible nor sorry for what happens to your TBR.

I've found a second family in this community, and I was beyond thrilled when Jason invited me to help in the organizing of this year's Self-Published Fantasy Month. Although it's only for one month, I hope that people will continue to show their love and support for all the self-pub hidden gems!

Aaaand "The Thief Who Is This And What Is The Cost" I...I have no words.

message 10: by natrosette (new)

natrosette | 6 comments Hi all! I'm Nat. I'm relatively new to self-published fantasy (read my first one in April), but have had a great experience with it so far. I have a wordpress blog and am also a member of Booknest.eu.

"The Thief Who Pulled the Es un Juego de Acción" ... I have Spanish predictive text on my phone, but I can't explain the sudden switch there.

Annemieke / A Dance with Books (adancewithbooks) | 1 comments Hi hi, i am Annemieke, and i blog on A Dance with Books.

I think i'm more of a newbie. Without a real kindle (the kindle app on my phone is not the best reading device) and no creditcard it can be hard to find self-published english sff books on Dutch online book stores. But i try and i have found some good ones through giveaways and review copies.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth Tabler (scottveg3) | 9 comments Mod
Hey all! I am Beth. I am the owner of Beforewegoblog and I write for Grimdark Magazine.

I like long walks on the beach and pina Coladas... Oh, wait wrong bio.

lol, I am also one of the organizers of this little shindig and am very excited about this read-along. This is going to be a whole lot of fun! This book has been sitting on my TBR for waaaaay to long.

message 13: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Jones (aaronsjones) | 1 comments Hey everyone!

I'm Aaron, just self published my debut fantasy novel FLAMES OF REBELLION just in time for September. I'm celebrating by reading as many self-published fantasy novels as I can this month. There really is so much talent out there - as Justine said, the SPFBO is an amazing competition that everyone must check out though it will take over your life!

'The Thief who can help the mage control his newfound power!'

Could be interesting...

message 14: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Natrosette wrote: "Hi all! I'm Nat. I'm relatively new to self-published fantasy (read my first one in April), but have had a great experience with it so far. I have a wordpress blog and am also a member of Booknest...."

Hi, Nat! So happy to have you here! Loving the multicultural title =)

message 15: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Annemieke / A Dance with Books wrote: "Hi hi, i am Annemieke, and i blog on A Dance with Books.

I think i'm more of a newbie. Without a real kindle (the kindle app on my phone is not the best reading device) and no creditcard it can b..."

Hi, Annemieke! Thanks so much for joining us!

message 16: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Elizabeth wrote: "Hey all! I am Beth. I am the owner of Beforewegoblog and I write for Grimdark Magazine.

I like long walks on the beach and pina Coladas... Oh, wait wrong bio.

lol, I am also one of the organizer..."

Isn't it great finally getting to those books that have been silently judging you from your TBR pile?

message 17: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Aaron wrote: "Hey everyone!

I'm Aaron, just self published my debut fantasy novel FLAMES OF REBELLION just in time for September. I'm celebrating by reading as many self-published fantasy novels as I can this m..."

Hi, Aaron! Congrats on your debut! I couldn't agree more, SPFBO is all consuming.

Loving that title! A prequel, perhaps? 🤔

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth Tabler (scottveg3) | 9 comments Mod
Aaron wrote: "Hey everyone!

I'm Aaron, just self published my debut fantasy novel FLAMES OF REBELLION just in time for September. I'm celebrating by reading as many self-published fantasy novels as I can this m..."
It is going to be a very fun month!

Queen Terrible Timy (queensbookasylum) | 1 comments Hey there! I'm Queen Terrible Timy, but my friends can call me Timy. I'm a Hungarian book blogger, owning RockStarlit BookAsylum and partner in crime to the awesome Justine here. We run Storytellers On Tour together. I'm also an SPFBO judge for the third year. I've been in the community for 2,5 years now and basically started blogging because of some self-published authors I made friends with when I was a nobody (well, I'm still a nobody, but at least now I have a fancy title and a fear-inducing name, so you know...). At this point, probably about 90% of my reading is indie/self-published SFF.

I probably won't join for the read-along, but I'm hoping to be able to read The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braid nonetheless as it's been on my TBR since forever. I'll try and join toward the end of the month, so hopefully will be around for the final discussions :) At least that's the plan...

The Thief Who is a Nice Day Well... this got weird.

message 20: by William (new)

William | 12 comments Justine wrote: "Welcome, everyone! We're so glad you decided to join us for the first-ever Self-Published Fantasy Month Read-Along! As I'm sure you all know, this year we're featuring The Thief Who Pulled On Troub..."

Hi, I'm William Ray! You might know me from such self-published titles as Gedlund and The Great Restoration.

I've never done a read-along before. Well, outside of high school. Even then, my problem was I'd quickly read the first half of the book, then falter and fall behind. I started this one on the 2nd, and have now read the first half, so this should be a familiar awkwardness.

The Thief Who Wrote This Post On a PC So He Doesn't Have Predictive Text But Felt Leaving This Part Blank Would Be Awkward

message 21: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 4 comments Hello, I am Stephen and I have been following SPFBO contest since day one, but last year was the first time I played along. Glad I did not have an "Official Vote " because I had it a six way tie with Blood of Heirs winning because it had horses. There have been plenty of Self Published book I have read that have gone on to be picked up by a Publishing House. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet to name one and The Shadow of What Was Lost to name another. I also buy Self Published books based on the cover. If your cover depicts a rag tag team off to do some sort of quest, I am there for you.

message 22: by Chase (new)

Chase (chasebolling) | 2 comments Hey everyone I'm Chase, indie author, historical martial artist and perhaps leftist anti-government malcontent lol.

Proud author of

The Road of Resistance by Chase E.F. Bolling

...and

The War We Make by Chase E.F. Bolling

I was born and raised in Bridgeport, CT with a deep connection to my faith, activism and my Black Indian Creole roots. You can find me on IG @Chase.Bolling.Author

message 23: by Al (new)

Al Burke (alburke47) | 1 comments Hi, my name's Al and I review books on my own site (just for the fun of it). I'm a big fan of self-published authors and probably read more SP than trad. I read "The Thief..." back in 2018, and it's still one of my favourite indie books. The author seems like a good dude too.

message 24: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Queen Terrible Timy wrote: "Hey there! I'm Queen Terrible Timy, but my friends can call me Timy. I'm a Hungarian book blogger, owning RockStarlit BookAsylum and partner in crime to the awesome Justine here. We run Storyteller..."

Happy to have you join in, Timy! 💕

Nice day thieves are the best thieves!

message 25: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) William wrote: "Justine wrote: "Welcome, everyone! We're so glad you decided to join us for the first-ever Self-Published Fantasy Month Read-Along! As I'm sure you all know, this year we're featuring The Thief Who..."

Thanks fo joining us, William! Awkwardness is fine. We welcome it here! And I appreciate your valiant attempt in the predictive text portion, it's fantastic 😄

message 26: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Chase wrote: "Hey everyone I'm Chase, indie author, historical martial artist and perhaps leftist anti-government malcontent lol.

Proud author of

The Road of Resistance by Chase E.F. Bolling

...and

[bookcove..."

Welcome, Chase! We'll be sure to keep your anti-gov mischievousness a secret 😉

message 27: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Al wrote: "Hi, my name's Al and I review books on my own site (just for the fun of it). I'm a big fan of self-published authors and probably read more SP than trad. I read "The Thief..." back in 2018, and it'..."

Glad to have you here, Al! I'm re-reading this as well, and I'm loving it just as much as the first time. And agreed, McClung is an awesome human being 😊

message 28: by Jason (last edited Sep 06, 2020 08:49AM) (new)

Jason Aycock | 20 comments Mod
Hi everyone! I'm Jason and I blog over at Off The TBR.

I'm also part of the Self-Published Fantasy Month team so let me say we are glad you're taking part in the event and the read along. We hope you enjoy it.

This will be my first time reading The Thief Who Pulled On Trouble's Braids and I can't wait. It's been on my want to read list for ages. It's been hard not to read it all at once. I look forward to this reading journey with all of you!

message 29: by AB (new)

AB | 11 comments Hi all, I'm AB and I review books on my blog IWishIOwnedABookstore

I've been reading Indie books for a few years now, but this might be my first self-published book (not 100% sure what the difference is TBH). I've had Amra Thetys on my TBR for ages so I'm really excited about this read-along! and just really happy to have found this event, I've already added too many books to my list.

"The Thief who was in Sydney was the last time I was in Sydney."
Nope, wasn't me!

message 30: by Peyton (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:08AM) (new)

Peyton | 15 comments Hi all, I’m Peyton and I blog at Word Wilderness .

I’m new to Self-Published fantasy, and I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far. Hopefully I’ll find some more great reads.

The thief who is the broken one of my friends.

Interesting twist there. Now I’m trying to figure out which of my friends is broken and a thief..

message 31: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Jason wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Jason and I blog over at Off The TBR.

I'm also part of the Self-Published Fantasy Month team so let me say we are glad you're taking part in the event and the read along. We hope ..."

So glad you're joining in, Jason!

message 32: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 2 comments The best way to introduce myself is through the word cloud on my profile:

Reading the following word cloud will allow
To discover more about the person behind *Tau*

The number of items isn't chosen randomly, you know
If you count them up and do it right, tadaaa … my age will show ;-)

* art journaling * beautiful colours * Belgium *blanket * blogging * board games * bubbles * bucket list * calm * challenges * collector * creative * culture * dark chocolate * discover * English * fantasy * fiction * Français * hsp * humour * hygge * inspiration * list maker * movies * my word of the year 2020: oasis * nature * Nederlands * non-fiction * paper books * photography * pizza * Português * series * single (malt) * strawberries * travel * water * wine * woman *

As a kid I read a lot (at least 4 books a week). But when I grew older and had to read much for school, I started to read less and less 'for fun'. Until I read only a few books a year.

Four years ago I refound my love for reading and joined a Dutch book forum. There I was introduced to the fascinating world of fantasy and sci-fi. Though I always thought these genres wouldn't be my cup of tea, I had to adjust my opinion.

Although I have a very broad reading taste, the last few months it has become clear to me that my favourite genres are definitely fantasy, science-fiction and non-fiction.
What appeals most to me in a story is originality (both in plot as in form, f.e. extensive footnotes in Nevernight-chronicle) and humour (I lóve the books of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Jon Hollins, Jay Kristoff, …).

Since I became more active on Goodreads a few months ago, I discovered the SPFBO and self-published books. In the meantime I already added a lot of them to my TBR-list.
As I like to discover new voices and books that aren't known by the greater public, I'm convinced that some of these books are right in my alley. A few days ago for example I bought The Wound of Words and I'm totally thrilled to discover this story!

Predictive text time?
What about ... "The Thief Who Wanted to Steal the Smartphone of Tau but Found Out that She Didn't Have One"?
(yes, I know, I'm a bit of an anachronism ;-p)

message 33: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) AB wrote: "Hi all, I'm AB and I review books on my blog IWishIOwnedABookstore

I've been reading Indie books for a few years now, but this might be my first self-published book (not 100% sure what the differe..."

So glad to have you join us, AB!

message 34: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) Peyton wrote: "Hi all, I’m Peyton and I blog at Word Wilderness .

I’m new to Self-Published fantasy, and I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far. Hopefully I’ll find some more great reads.

The thief who is the brok..."

Welcome, Peyton! There are tons of great books to be discovered! As for your broken, thieving friend...best of luck on your search =)

message 35: by Justine (new)

Justine (its_justine) *Tau* wrote: "The best way to introduce myself is through the word cloud on my profile:

Reading the following word cloud will allow
To discover more about the person behind *Tau*

The number of items isn't chos..."

Happy to have you here *Tau*! Yes, SPFBO will do that to your poor TBR. And that's one unlucky thief! =)