The Read Around The World Book Club discussion

September 2020 Argentinia > First half of the book

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
We are reading:

Things We Lost in the Fire
by Mariana Enríquez, Megan McDowell (Goodreads Author) (Translator)

Sherri (Harte Reads) | 10 comments I'm really enjoying this book. The writing is edgy and the sense of place is very strong. Since I've been to Argentina, it really enriches the book for me. Great pick!

message 3: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (sophron) | 17 comments Have only read the first story so far, but really liked it! Have high expectations for this collection!

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
I have read most of the stories now but I am not entirely sold. I find the settings and descriptions wonderful, really rich but the actually stories are a bit meh. Lots of build-up not a lot delivered. The endings for pretty much all of them have been abrupt, for a couple of them super annoyingly so.

message 5: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (sophron) | 17 comments The first story has been my favourite so far. For me the stories start to blurr into each other too much, so they can't really stick with me. But I'm still enjoying it.

message 6: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 17 comments When I finished the first story I thought we were in for a real treat. The writing is exciting and as Mel says the descriptions are rich. The next couple of stories have disappointed. But will press on ......

message 7: by Isa (new)

Isa (isoliva) | 12 comments I read about 70% of the stories. Althought there are good descriptions, I don't really get along with the stories. And I must also say, that i'm not a great short story reader ...

message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace | 53 comments I liked the first story but I’m about 40% in and not sure I’m in the mood for the darker part of these stories.