AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

The Aloha Spirit
This topic is about The Aloha Spirit
THE ALOHA SPIRIT > Favorite Foods in Hawaii

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 50 comments Don’t forget to comment here or in the Goodreads group in order to be included in the GIVEAWAY of a signed copy of The Aloha Spirit and an aloha pen. Winner announced tomorrow!

No feature on a Hawaiian book would be complete without a discussion of the food! Pictured above is a stack of books I used while researching The Aloha Spirit, as well as some family favorites. At the top are Mauna Loa macadamia nuts. My husband and son inhale these. The red coconut balls are a special treat first introduced to us by Grandpa Earl, subject of Tuesday’s post. He got them at a special store on Oahu that he never divulged the name of. I buy them online from Hawaii Candy Company. They taste like the coconut insides of a Mounds bar. Very yummy. Whenever we visit Hawaii, my husband and I unashamedly pig out on Honolulu Cookie Company’s treats. All their cookies have the distinctive pineapple shape and come in several flavors. My favorite is Kona coffee.

Other favorites are not pictured here. I love SPAM musubi, although that is sort of a love/hate food with most people. It’s a type of sushi made from marinated SPAM. Malasadas from Leonard’s are a treat you’ll never forget. You know they’re good when Hawaiians serve them, too! And no trip to Hawaii is complete without a mai tai. I hope you can enjoy some of these treats while reading The Aloha Spirit!

For more about me or my books, please visit ulleseit.com

Barbara | 24 comments The red coconut balls sound really good! I love coconut, and also macadamia nuts!

message 3: by Andi (new) - added it

Andi Guinn (ladyguinn) Yums! I have never been to Hawaii (yet). One thing I would love to do is stop and eat at one of those road side food stands. They always seem to have the most authentic food.

Although - some new flavors of SPAM would be great to try too!

message 4: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 50 comments Barbara wrote: "The red coconut balls sound really good! I love coconut, and also macadamia nuts!"

The red coconut balls are amazing. I used to sit at the kitchen table with my mother-in-law and pig out on them.

message 5: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 50 comments Andi wrote: "Yums! I have never been to Hawaii (yet). One thing I would love to do is stop and eat at one of those road side food stands. They always seem to have the most authentic food.

Although - some new f..."

The airport at Kona on the Big Island is very cute with its thatched roof. It's also my first stop for SPAM musubi when we go!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (drpowell) | 376 comments *visits Hawaii candy company website*

message 7: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 50 comments Amanda wrote: "*visits Hawaii candy company website*"

:( I have a feeling the next time I log on the coconut balls will be sold out!!

message 8: by Chelsie (new) - added it

Chelsie (chelzlou) | 83 comments The coffee cookie sounds amazing! I love that they are pineapple shaped also, like a trademark.