Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

My Restaurant Rocks 2020 > Team Tienuurtj

Comments Showing 1-50 of 231 (231 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 06, 2020 03:25PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31267 comments Mod

Team Tienuurtj

Nikk TSBD
Carrie
Lisa - Aussie Girl
Rina
Tina
CC

Susan

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 03, 2020 02:15AM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 5: by Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Sep 06, 2020 01:31AM) (new)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments HOW TO PLAY
About this Challenge
◈ The team with the highest points at the end of the game wins!
◈ Each round teams create meals through a scavenger hunt and spell-it-outs
◈ At end of round, each team get randomised customers to eat their meals. Leftovers expire if fresh (although the team can decide to preserve, more details below)
◈ Meals you create can be changed around at any time during the round, but once the round finishes and customers arrive, the meals are set and can not be changed.
◈ Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count
◈ Re-reads are ok provided it has been more than 6 months since you last read the book
◈ Book length is determined by the meals. See below.
◈ Each Book can be used for either scavenger hunt words or as spell-it-outs.
◈ Only books read during the specified round can be used (“read date” is what counts, provided it started after the challenge started)
◈ Teams will be capped to the number of books that can be read per round. For round 1, this is 80 books.

CREATING MEALS
Scavenger hunt for words in titles or text or items on cover, or spell out, words as follows:

Fresh meals (must be used within the month - page count of 50 pages or more. No restriction on using children's, graphic novels, poetry, cookbooks etc.)

◈ sandwiches items which would be suitable on a sandwich (for example: bread, butter, lettuce, tomato, ham, chicken, salami, cheese, carrot, cucumber, salt, pepper, beetroot or beets, gherkins or pickles, peanut butter, jam or jelly, vegemite, mustard, honey, pastrami, devon, egg, bacon)
Sandwiches have a minimum of 4 and maximum of 10 items.
◈ fish and chips (fish, or any types of fish, potato, salt, lemon) Note for scavenger hunt only: Must contain all these items (4), add vinegar for bonus points.
Fish and chips have a minimum of 4 and maximum of 5 items.
◈ coffee (coffee or anything coffee related, e.g. latte) ; milk, sugar, cream, water) Can be items to make a coffee, the word coffee, or just a coffee word (e.g. "cappuccino").
Coffee has a minimum of 1 and maximum of 6 items.
◈ tea(tea, milk, sugar, water, cream) Note for scavenger hunt only: Must contain at least tea and water. Other items are optional.
Tea has a minimum of 2 and maximum of 4 items.
◈ salad (e.g. salad, lettuce, cucumber, any cheese, tomato, olives, carrot, cucumber, beans, peas, nuts, pear)
Salads have a minimum of 5 and maximum of 15 items.

Frozen meals Can be used in the following month. Page count of 160+. No graphic novels, cookbooks, poetry or childrens books unless audio version is more than 5 hours or wordcount can be verified with arbookfind as more than 40,000 words
◈ pasta (e.g. pasta types, cheese, cream, salt, pepper, chicken, chilli, basil, tomato, garlic)
Pasta have a minimum of 3 and maximum of 10 items.
◈ quiche (e.g. eggs, bacon, leeks, ham, spinach, salt, pepper, pastry)
Quiche have a minimum of 4 and maximum of 10 items.
◈ curries (e.g. beef, lamb, chicken, lentils, potato, sweet potato, carrot, beans, curry powder or paste, turmeric, chilli, cloves, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic)
Curries have a minimum of 5 and maximum of 15 items.

Desserts, drinks and cocktails ; can be shelved/frozen and used at any point through the challenge. 500+pages. No children's, poetry, graphic novels, plays, cookbooks.
◈ Champagne, wine, liqueur, beer (generic term or a specific brand/type)
◈ Chocolate, fruit, marshmallow, ice cream, custard or any dessert (generic term or a specific type, e.g. “tart”)
◈ Water, Juice, soda, soft drinks (generic term or a specific type, for e.g. Lemonade)
Desserts, drinks and cocktails have a minimum of 1 and maximum of 5 items.

2 points per scavenger word / spell-it-out letter used per book (maximum numbers shown below)

Points are also given per meal eaten:

Sandwich 50
Fish and Chips 50
Fish and Chips with Vinegar 55
Coffee 30
Tea 40
Salad 45
Pasta 30
Quiche 35
Curry 40
Alcoholic drink 20
Dessert 20
Non-Alcoholic Drink 20

up to 2 scavenger words / spell-it out letters per book >50 pages and <=160 pages
up to 4 scavenger words/ spell-it out letters per book >161 and <=300 pages
up to 8 scavenger words/ spell-it out letters per book >301 pages and <=500 pages
up to 12 scavenger words / spell-it-out letters per book >501 pages

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments So glad we have a team and a thread.

Next up - our name. I had a thought because we were Team 11, we could incorporate Elevenses somehow -

In Australia and New Zealand, elevenses is known as "morning tea" and occurs at approximately 10:30am. Many workplaces organize morning teas for staff to welcome new employees, for special occasions such as a birthday, or simply as a regular event. Food will sometimes be provided by the business, but often employees will be expected to bring food to share.
In Belgian Dutch, this kind of snack is called a tienuurtje, literally a "little (one of) 10 o'clock". A tienuurtj…

message 10: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments I came up with some names whilst waiting for out thread and got:
- Jamaican Me Hungry
- Lava Luau
- The Cheeky Tiki

message 11: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "So glad we have a team and a thread.

Next up - our name. I had a thought because we were Team 11, we could incorporate Elevenses somehow -

In Australia and New Zealand, elevenses is known as "m..."

I didn't realise it was a thing let alone that it had a name! I thought everyone just got hungry then, so work places made a thing of it haha. Or that it was a leftover thing from school (recess, lunch...)

message 12: by Rina (new)

Rina | 599 comments Hey, checking in :-)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments Tina ❣ wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "So glad we have a team and a thread.

In Australia and New Zeal..."

I think it's been used in a literary sense in books like The Hobbit as well.

Cool names too Tina. I'm easy with the name just when I saw Team 11 it popped into my head.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments Rina wrote: "Hey, checking in :-)"

Hi Rina...

So we have 3 Aussies, 2 from the USA and one from Switzerland... nice mix.

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments Hi all! Checking in as well! I’m from the USA. So excited for this challenge and love that we have a mix of people from all over. Never been to Australia but I have visited Switzerland. I lived in Italy for 3 years about 40 miles outside of Venice. Had a lot of opportunity to travel.

Haven’t given much thought to team name yet but if I come up with something, I’ll give a shout out!

message 16: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments Carrie wrote: "Hi all! Checking in as well! I’m from the USA. So excited for this challenge and love that we have a mix of people from all over. Never been to Australia but I have visited Switzerland. I lived in ..."

Hi Carrie!
I had plans to travel to Italy this year but that didn't work out for obvious reasons. Switzerland's on my 'to travel' list as well

message 17: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Tina ❣ wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "So glad we have a team and a thread.

In Austral..."

Oh that's alright. We could just be called Elevenses or the Dutch term for it.

What does everyone think?

message 18: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments Has anyone looked at the spreadsheet or the video on how to fill it out? I'm feeling okay about it but it might change once we actually start reading for it

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments Tina ❣ wrote: "Has anyone looked at the spreadsheet or the video on how to fill it out? I'm feeling okay about it but it might change once we actually start reading for it"

Tina, I had a quick look at the spreadsheet. I'm a bit confused about the challenge to be honest. The only thing I've picked up is each round has a different meal and we pick words to either spell it out or scavenger hunt. I'm sure I'll get it once we start but am waiting till one of you spreadsheet whizzes work it out and then I'm good at following direction, LOL.

message 20: by Rina (new)

Rina | 599 comments Tina ❣ wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Tina ❣ wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "So glad we have a team and a thread.

Next up - our name. I had a thought because we were Team 11, we could incorporate Ele..."

I like how Dutch sounds, so I like tienuurtje for our team name :-)

message 21: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments Rina wrote: "Tina ❣ wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Tina ❣ wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "So glad we have a team and a thread.

Next up - our name. I had a thought because we were Team 11, we could ..."

I like it too! I'll ask my Dutch friend how she'd pronounce it so we know

message 22: by Tina ❣ (last edited Sep 05, 2020 06:17AM) (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Tina ❣ wrote: "Has anyone looked at the spreadsheet or the video on how to fill it out? I'm feeling okay about it but it might change once we actually start reading for it"

Tina, I had a quick loo..."

Yeah that's what I understand as well. We also have a maximum of 80 books we can read in round 1 which starts 9pm, 19th September (UTC Time) or 7am 20th September (AEST). I'm not sure which timezone you're in Rina, Susan and Carrie!

I'll have a play around closer to the date and find some books that will fit well for it

message 23: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments Tina ❣ wrote: "Carrie wrote: "Hi all! Checking in as well! I’m from the USA. So excited for this challenge and love that we have a mix of people from all over. Never been to Australia but I have visited Switzerla..."

My daughter just graduated from college and we were planning to take her to Italy to celebrate (as you said - didn't happen). When travel becomes a thing again, I highly recommend going there though. It's a beautiful country and the people are outgoing and friendly. There's so much to see and do!

message 24: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments I'm good with the team name. Unique!

I'm in Eastern Standard Time (so I am in the same zone as NYC).

I'll watch the video and look over the rules more carefully. It does sound a bit confusing but I think once we get started, things will start to make better sense!

message 25: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Sep 05, 2020 05:23PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments That's a great interpretation of Team 11. Good one.

Carrie, We're a travelling family as well. Between my husband, daughter and I we have travelled to about 150 countries. Many the same, but a few different ones between us. They like trekking and adventure stuff, I'm into the historical and literary. So while Covid is playing havoc with the world we are dreaming about our next adventures.

message 26: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments Carrie wrote: "Tina ❣ wrote: "Carrie wrote: "Hi all! Checking in as well! I’m from the USA. So excited for this challenge and love that we have a mix of people from all over. Never been to Australia but I have vi..."

Oh I definitely will! I've been dreaming about going to Italy for years now.

@Lisa - That's almost every country on earth! Impressive! Have you locked in any country yet or is it still up in the air?

message 27: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments I asked for our team name to be changed to Tienuurtj

message 28: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Sep 05, 2020 08:53PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments Tina ❣ wrote: "I asked for our team name to be changed to Tienuurtj"

Well Tina, my sister and I had booked to go to Ukraine and Romania next July. Haven't given up hope yet that we'll get there. I've wanted to go to Romania for years, I love a good vampire story, LOL.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments I have made us a planning spreadsheet ( basically copied the official spreadsheet and called it a planning one LOL)

I will post the link shortly after I go and have another raed of the rules so I can get my head around them and make sure we actually NEED a planning spreadsheet.

I will also pop some of the rule stuffs up ion the reserve posts above to make life easier for us all :-)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments love the team name by the way :-)

message 31: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "That's a great interpretation of Team 11. Good one.

Carrie, We're a travelling family as well. Between my husband, daughter and I we have travelled to about 150 countries. Many the same, but a fe..."

150 countries...that's amazing!!! Do you have a favorite?

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments I watched the video. I think we will definitely need to communicate as a team to make sure we make the best decisions regarding meals and menu planning. Looks like a great deal of fun though. Very different from other challenges! The drink menu looks challenging (high page counts!)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments Hi Team, A week to go till our restaurant opens! Should we be doing anything in regards to prep?

message 34: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments I requested the BOM from my local library since it can give us the opportunity to swap a customer.
Can we decide on menu planning at this point?

message 35: by Rina (new)

Rina | 599 comments Carrie wrote: "I requested the BOM from my local library since it can give us the opportunity to swap a customer.
Can we decide on menu planning at this point?"

I haven't noticed this addition to the rules, thank you for pointing this out. I'll try to participate in all BOMs during this challenge then :-)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Oh good. I had already offered to write questions for the next BOM so hopefully I will get to

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments Unfortunately I already read it less than 6 months ago so can't participate in this one.

message 38: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments I'll read Chain of Gold for BOM.

Ocotber's BOM will be Circe by Madeline Miller and Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1) by Maureen Johnson .

I've requested access to edit the sheet. Have you guys done that yet or have you been granted access?

message 39: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Sep 14, 2020 12:13AM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments I've already read Circe as well! I'll see if I can get the other from the library.

Tina, I had to request for the spreadsheet but I've got it now.

Do we have to decide as a team what meal/word we are doing to start? Sorry, I'm a tad confused about this challenge.

PS - I can get Truly Devious so I'll sign up for that one and try and get DQ's.

message 40: by Rina (last edited Sep 14, 2020 02:15AM) (new)

Rina | 599 comments I hope that I understand the rules correctly and here is what I think:

Coffee earnes us the most points per use (30 points) and it can be served to adults and pensioners. And it is easy to find in text.

Children and Teenagers could get non-alcoholic drinks (20 points per use), easy to find, but the books must have 500+ pages.

P.S. I think scavenger hunt gets us more meals than spell-it-out and the above is for scavenger use only, if we want to do some spell-outs, then other meals might be better.

message 41: by Rina (last edited Sep 14, 2020 02:57AM) (new)

Rina | 599 comments On the other hand, we probably get less customers than the meals we can create, then it would be better to create meals that earn us more points per meal than coffee/drinks.

These would be fish and chips with vinegar (55 points) for all except teenagers and Curry (40 points) for teenagers.

If we don't find enough vinegar, then we can serve fish and chips or sandwiches instead (50 points).

Fish and chips with vinegar can't be done with a spell-out, since vinegar has to be found as a scavenger word, but the other meals can be done with a spell-out - e.g. curry or beans for curry, fish, bass, tuna etc. for fish and chips, beet or kale or okra, etc. for sandwiches.

message 42: by Rina (last edited Sep 14, 2020 02:34AM) (new)

Rina | 599 comments And we get points for each scavenger word/spell-out-letter, so we must try to use each book the maximum number of times, even if we don't serve that meal to a customer.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments Thanks Rina.

So do we all work on the same scavenger word or spell it out or different ones?

message 44: by Rina (new)

Rina | 599 comments We can use one book for multiple meals and we can use multiple books in one meal, so I guess it depends on where each book works :-)

And we can do the same spell-it-out word multiple times or we can do different words; the same applies for scavenger hunt, so again it depends on books :-)

But each book can be used either for scavenger or for spell-out, not for both.

message 45: by Carrie (last edited Sep 14, 2020 05:44AM) (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments The good thing is that we can update the spreadsheet and move things around as we go until we are assigned our customers. Since we are limited to a maximum of 80 books in the first round, where does everyone stand on typical number of books read (or think will be read for this challenge) for the first round? I'm typically around 5 or 6 but I can push more or less based on what is needed for the challenge.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5149 comments So is it better to read less books with bigger page counts? Or heaps of smaller books?

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments I made us a planning sspreadsheet which is essentially a copy of the official spreadsheet with an extra planning tab.
I figured to start off the planning tab would be good so we could see what we have and can use and to make life easy if we need to swap things around:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 48: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "So is it better to read less books with bigger page counts? Or heaps of smaller books?"

We will definitely need some 500+ page books if I'm understanding the rules. I think that high of a page count is required for desserts, drinks, and cocktails. Also, higher page counts give us a greater allowance for scavenger words and letters for spell it out.

message 49: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1053 comments Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "I made us a planning sspreadsheet which is essentially a copy of the official spreadsheet with an extra planning tab.
I figured to start off the planning tab would be good so we could see what we h..."

Great idea! Thanks!!

message 50: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1895 comments I'm trying to wrap my head around this so I'm sorry if I repeat anything you guys have said previously (and correct me if I'm wrong)...

I'm kind of thinking for the first round we can read anything we want and make sure we keep track of all the information (spell it out letters and scavenger words). Then we can see what we need in order to complete the meals. I think I need to play with books we've read and see how they work.

It seems like we can make as many meals/drinks as we want BUT on the Shop Front Created Meals tab, there's a table that shows a minimum and a maximum for all those meals. I also think we should try and fill the minimum requirements for each meal. There are 6 that we can use the next month if we don't give them to the customer for round 1.

I agree with Rina... We should try and aim for making the meals/drinks with the most points. But I don't think I have it in me to read 500+ pages anytime soon expect for Chain of Gold (which I'm not enthusiastic about).

« previous 1 3 4 5