YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Island
This topic is about The Island
BUDDY READ: Horror/Thriller > The Island by C.L. Taylor - Starting 17th September 2020

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Lost meets The Hunger Games in the thrilling new young adult novel from C.L. Taylor, the Sunday Times and million-copy bestselling author.

Welcome to The Island.
Where your worst fears are about to come true…

It was supposed to be the perfect holiday: a week-long trip for six teenage friends on a remote tropical island.

But when their guide dies of a stroke leaving them stranded, the trip of a lifetime quickly turns into a nightmare.

Because someone on the island knows each of the group’s worst fears. And one by one, they’re coming true.

Seven days in paradise. A deadly secret.

Who will make it off the island alive?

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments I've just started this :)

message 3: by Dannii (last edited Sep 17, 2020 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments First quarter - (view spoiler)

message 4: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon O'Flynn | 109 comments im struggling to find the book even to buy. Where did you get your book from?

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Shannon wrote: "im struggling to find the book even to buy. Where did you get your book from?"

It's not released yet. I have an earc from Netgalley, if you have that?

message 6: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon O'Flynn | 109 comments I can sign up. Its free right?

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Shannon wrote: "I can sign up. Its free right?"

Yes, it's all free :) You just add your details and some links to your Goodreads account and anywhere else you post reviews. You can then search for specific titles or genres and request the titles. The publishers might take a little while to accept though, but if that happens I'm happy to check back in whenever you get the chance to read it :)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Second quarter - (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Third quarter - (view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Fourth quarter - (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Danni, I’ve got so behind with stuff but saw this was a quick read for you. The opening immediately sets alarm bells ringing and I think I’ll spend the whole book working out who’s responsible.

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Karen wrote: "Danni, I’ve got so behind with stuff but saw this was a quick read for you. The opening immediately sets alarm bells ringing and I think I’ll spend the whole book working out who’s responsible."

I found this a super quick read, so hopefully it will be for you too :)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch10. Strange premise to this. Why would you arrange such a trip, with no ability to contact anyone? The incident with the guide happened very quickly, and now I’m curious to see which of them is behind this.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch27. I’m enjoying this, even though the idea seems daft and the incidents building up seem manipulated. I have my suspicions, and they change regularly, but I’m keen to see where this ends.

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch10. Strange premise to this. Why would you arrange such a trip, with no ability to contact anyone? The incident with the guide happened very quickly, and now I’m curious to see which of the..."

I agree, I found it bizarre how quickly the incident was glossed over.

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch27. I’m enjoying this, even though the idea seems daft and the incidents building up seem manipulated. I have my suspicions, and they change regularly, but I’m keen to see where this ends."

I had some issues but it definitely kept me reading and guessing right up until the end.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Finished. It makes sense, but the ‘big reveal’ feels a little flat. It didn’t need to be like this, which renders much of what I’ve just read a reflection of others’ failures and that’s frustrating. Now I feel kind of bad for reading what seems to be an attempt to treat a very unsettling experience as fodder for night-time fears.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Dannii wrote: "First quarter -

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Dannii wrote: "Second quarter - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Dannii wrote: "Third quarter -

(view spoiler)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Karen wrote: "Dannii wrote: "Second quarter - [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

I agree with this, I can see so many readers loving this one and not even thinking of the issues we found.