YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

On the Avenue (The Celebutantes, #1)
This topic is about On the Avenue
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > On the Avenue (The Celebutantes #1) by Antonio Pagliarulo - Starting 3rd September 2020

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments The Hamilton Triplets—Madison, Park, and Lexington—are accustomed to living in the public eye. Heiresses to a billion-dollar media empire, they have been raised in New York's most elite social circles and, at 16, know firsthand the demands of being celebutantes. There are people to impress, appearances to make, and paparazzi to outrun. Not to mention high school to finish.

But when fashion editor Zahara Bell is found dead in a one-of-a-kind frock from Lex's unreleased clothing line, and then the priceless Avenue Diamond goes missing, getting to class is as far from the triplets' minds as their first pair of Manolos. One of the girls is a suspect, and the sisters find themselves in the middle of a scandal that could sink their reputations and their father's companies for good. And the press is ready, willing, and able to lend a hand.

The Hamilton sisters need to stick closer than ever before. The killer is still out there, and if they don't solve the case their threesome could become a twosome quicker than you can say Cartier.

message 2: by Dannii (last edited Sep 04, 2020 04:19AM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments First quarter - (view spoiler)

message 3: by Dannii (last edited Sep 04, 2020 04:20AM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Second quarter - (view spoiler)

message 4: by Dannii (last edited Sep 04, 2020 04:20AM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Third quarter - (view spoiler)

message 5: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Fourth quarter - (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10683 comments Up to ch3. I’m so clueless with the labels but the focus is delightfully exaggerated. I hope there’s more to the girls than we see at the start.

Karen Barber | 10683 comments Dannii wrote: "First quarter - [spoilers removed]"

Totally agree, Dannii, as this is so exaggerated but actually quite good fun. I don't know whether the constant name dropping will annoy me eventually, but I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt.

Karen Barber | 10683 comments Dannii wrote: "Second quarter - There's a lot about this that is becoming questionable. I'm intrigued by the murder mystery but less so by all surrounding it. There are a few elements that add nothing to the plot..."

There were a number of dubious comments like this that I picked up on. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10683 comments Dannii wrote: "Third quarter - Well, at least I can say this is a quick read! The Pretty Little Liars type additions to the plot is also very intriguing and I have little clue over who the killer is. However, too..."

I think we have to take it at face value. it is what it is - but it had the potential to be more. By this stage in the book the continual brand referencing and name dropping had really started to grate on me.

Karen Barber | 10683 comments Finished. Review on home page. One best forgotten I think!

message 11: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch3. I’m so clueless with the labels but the focus is delightfully exaggerated. I hope there’s more to the girls than we see at the start."

I had no clue about who was wearing what, either. It is odd how much I adore Gossip Girl and am intrigued by this socialite world in movies and fiction, yet I have no desire to learn more, irl.

message 12: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Karen wrote: "Dannii wrote: "Second quarter - There's a lot about this that is becoming questionable. I'm intrigued by the murder mystery but less so by all surrounding it. There are a few elements that add noth..."

Yes, eugh! There were a few comments throughout that made this book feel really aged and insensitive!

message 13: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8333 comments Karen wrote: "Dannii wrote: "Third quarter - Well, at least I can say this is a quick read! The Pretty Little Liars type additions to the plot is also very intriguing and I have little clue over who the killer i..."

I think I should have gone into it expecting it to be what it actually was like. The murder mystery definitely came secondary to the creation of this elite world, which definitely wasn't a bad thing but didn't necessarily appeal to me.