Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > HF set during the Industrial Revolution (USA or UK)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments Hi all! I’ve been on an Industrial Revolution bender (The Jungle, The People of the Abyss, etc) and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions?

A few topics to get your brain-juice flowing:
Immigration
Factories/labor
Farming
Poverty in the 1880s-1910s (think: Maggie: A Girl of the Streets)

message 2: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 45 comments Not sure if you’re willing to look at juvenile fiction but I highly recommend Counting on Grace Counting on Grace by Elizabeth Winthrop by Elizabeth Winthrop. Set in Vermont in 1910 it is a vivid look at the life of a French Canadian immigrant family and child labor in the textile mills. Lewis Hine, the real life photographer who exposed child labor exploitation is a featured character.
My f2f adult book group read this (our New England town had a long history in textile mills) and loved it. Not just for kids. The audio version is very effective.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Blum | 3 comments Life in the Iron Mills by Rebecca Harding Davis

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 247 comments Emmeline by Judith Rossner: Tragic story about a young girl in 19th century New England.

A classic rather than historical fiction, but it's worth reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell if you haven't done so already.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Bashaar | 158 comments Call the Darkness Light. Read this book years ago and loved it. It's about a young woman working in the factories of New England during the 19th century and how working and living conditions actually slowly declined. Heartbreaking

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 678 comments Getting away from the factories to the coal mines of the era, have you read How Green Was My Valley? Shattered my heart when I was a teenager!

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 671 comments Abigail wrote: "Getting away from the factories to the coal mines of the era, have you read How Green Was My Valley? Shattered my heart when I was a teenager!"

Abigail; Also one of my favorite reads. Highly recommend watching the movie adaptation with Maureen O'Hara.

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 678 comments There's a film you might like if you haven't seen it: Suffragette is about the female factory and laundry workers who joined the movement for women's suffrage in London. It offers a vivid portrait of the hardships and indignities of their lives.