Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
This topic is about Sweep
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > BOTM for September is Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

SaraKat | 170 comments Mod
Leave your thought about Sweep here!

message 2: by Rosie (new) - added it

Rosie Soooo excited!!!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
I've put a hold on it, so hope I can actually read this one!

message 4: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks | 338 comments Have had this on my to read list for a while, but wonder if one should be calling a Golem like entity a pet.

message 5: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1437 comments Mod
Manybooks wrote: "Have had this on my to read list for a while, but wonder if one should be calling a Golem like entity a pet."

I agree, and thought several of the nominations did not include a pet - but we've all been crazy busy, so maybe we can get back to more on-topic reads this autumn!

message 6: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks | 338 comments Jemima wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "Have had this on my to read list for a while, but wonder if one should be calling a Golem like entity a pet."

I agree, and thought several of the nominations did not include a pe..."

Oh I am still planning on reading this. I just think that calling the Golem in this novel a pet is kind of problematic and perhaps even insulting to the entire tradition and concept of what a Golem is supposed to represent (as I think it makes the latter a bit trivial).

message 7: by Justine (last edited Sep 27, 2020 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 315 comments Before this, I was not aware Golem was more than just a name in Lord of the Rings. So even if it's not the traditional pets we think of, I enjoyed the story. It's got the right combination for me. It's got some history, something mythical/magical and characters that tug your heart-strings.

I'm not sure if I had missed a section, but I had a question that was not answered when I came to the end of the book. But I'll wait a bit before I say anymore, in case I spoil it for people.

message 8: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 27, 2020 02:45PM) (new) - added it

Manybooks | 338 comments Justine wrote: "Before this, I was not aware Golem was more than just a name in Lord of the Rings. So even if it's not the traditional pets we think of, I enjoyed the story. It's got the right combination for me. ..."

I have not gotten all that far with Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster, but after reading Golem and especially David Wisniewski back notes regarding what a Golem represents in Jewish tradition and lore, I do have huge issues considering Nan’s Golem in any way a pet, but rather a companion and even an extension of herself, and basically also a badge of protection.

message 9: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1437 comments Mod
Justine wrote: "Before this, I was not aware Golem was more than just a name in Lord of the Rings. So even if it's not the traditional pets we think of, I enjoyed the story. It's got the right combination for me. ..."

lol Oh Justine, that's Gollum! But I wonder whether Tolkien thought of the connection when he decided on the name, or just imitated the throat-clearing sound?

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 30, 2020 05:16AM) (new) - added it

Manybooks | 338 comments Jemima wrote: "Justine wrote: "Before this, I was not aware Golem was more than just a name in Lord of the Rings. So even if it's not the traditional pets we think of, I enjoyed the story. It's got the right comb..."

Knowing how knowledgeable Tolkien was with regard to world folklore and myth he might well have named Gollum with the Golem in mind. And while LOTR’s Gollum is not an artificially created life form like the Golem is, Gollum’s life tainted by The One Ring has in my opinion definite parallels to the Golem of Jewish folklore’s lonely and painfully one sided existence.

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 315 comments Jemima wrote: lol Oh Justine, that's Gollum! "

Oh my goodness, that is so funny! :D

SaraKat | 170 comments Mod
I learned 2 things from this month's BOTM. 1. Charlie is most definitely not a pet. Nan says, "He's not a pet" to another character, so our discussion in the nomination thread about whether he is a pet or not is now answered. :) 2. I am glad that this book was chosen despite not having a pet! (Other than the "pet's" pet, Dent.) I loved this one. There was so much about this book that rang true to life and kept me wondering until the very end. I highly recommend this one. Also, I feel betrayed by Mary Poppins. All I knew about chimney sweeps in London before this book was what Dick van Dyke sang about in that movie. Let's just say that his song was like Blake's poem from Songs of Innocence. :)

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
Looks like I have about 2 more weeks to wait before I get my copy from the library! Meanwhile, didn't Blake also do a poem about child sweeps in the "Experience" side of Songs of Innocence and Experience? I seem to remember it was a bit more grim than Mary Poppins (notice there aren't any starved children in the dance in the movie).

message 14: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks | 338 comments Rebecca wrote: "Looks like I have about 2 more weeks to wait before I get my copy from the library! Meanwhile, didn't Blake also do a poem about child sweeps in the "Experience" side of Songs of Innocence and Expe..."

I do love Dick van Dyck as Burt the Chimney Sweep in Mary Poppins, but yes, it sure paints a much too ridiculously positive picture.